Indian Motorcycle Community

Right To Free Speech

It seems like every time I turn around, some idiot on Facebook, TV, or some internet venue is screeching about someone getting muzzled, or fired, or reprimanded, or in the case of sports leagues, fined or suspended, over something they did, or said, and bloviating about their 'Right to Free speech' having been violated.

The latest was some complete imbecile on one of the college football websites actually arguing that FSU was in the wrong for disciplining that tool Jameis "Crablegs" Winston for standing on a table in the student union and yelling "Fuck her right in the pussy!'. (If you call being benched for a whole half a football game "discipline", that is, I guess.) Said they were wrong to "violate his right to free speech".

Now, we can debate the wisdom of this halfwit WInston, who really, probably should not be standing on a table in the union yelling something like this, given that he has a very shady past, including a rape allegation that was (IMO) very poorly handled by the authorities and the university both.

But the idea that protected speech is included in allowing a student to stand on a table in the most public area of the university and yell something that might be considered profoundly offensive by some of the people nearby...is ludicrous, to say the least.

So, anyway, I found this.

It is probably one of the best, most succinct, correct and funniest explanations of the right to free speech I have found.

Enjoy.

free_speech.png

• Like 12

I think this all relates back to the "everyone gets a trophy" culture. I am special and have a right to be heard. And unless you agree with me, you don't have the same right, because that would ruin my self esteem.

Funny thing, the people that shout first amendment violation usually have nothing worthwhile to say. They just have a strong desire for attention.

• Like 4

G whizz Doc that word asshole kinda hits home. :rotfl:

A bit of a tangent... BUT

These kids earn entrance to these universities by way of their athletism, and yet it's obvious that they are not availing themselves of that opportunity for education. All one need do is listen to after game interviews, where these athletes with degrees from prestigious universities are only barely able to speak the English language.

How many of these kids graduate and do NOT get picked to play professional sports? Probably more than we realize. They waste the opportunity their athletism granted them, and the university really does not care one bit about this.

The foul language and thug activity is ignored by the university because they are making money off these kids. Further, that language and activity is encouraged in our society these days, and the younger generations look up to these thugs and emulate them.

The thugs that do make it into professional sports will continue to be thugs. Some sponsors will reward them for their thuggery. With each generation that follows this situation only gets worse.

• Like 4

How many of these kids graduate and do NOT get picked to play professional sports? Probably more than we realize. They waste the opportunity their athletism granted them, and the university really does not care one bit about this.

You are. of course, completely correct. I can tell you exactly what the statistics are.

Football:

College players: 67,887

NFL Draftees: 255

Basketball:

College players: 17,500

NBA Draftees: 48

Then, of course, there are the ones that make it, and bust. A significant percent of the draftees never play a down in the NFL.

Or the ones that have a decent career, but then go broke, usually buying stupid stuff for everyone in their family and friends.

And then, there's guys like Allen Iverson, who make all the money in the world, and have all the talent in the world, and just piss it all away.

I hate football since they started doing those pussy dances in the end zone. Ever seen Johnny U. Do such a dance? I hate basketball because the fucking season lasts 2 years, now baseball- that is a game!

• Like 2

A bit of a tangent... BUT

These kids earn entrance to these universities by way of their athletism, and yet it's obvious that they are not availing themselves of that opportunity for education. All one need do is listen to after game interviews, where these athletes with degrees from prestigious universities are only barely able to speak the English language.

The foul language and thug activity is ignored by the university because they are making money off these kids. Further, that language and activity is encouraged in our society these days, and the younger generations look up to these thugs and emulate them.

The thugs that do make it into professional sports will continue to be thugs. Some sponsors will reward them for their thuggery. With each generation that follows this situation only gets worse.

I know of one that had a great career and still remained a thug...O.J. Simpson. He's rotting in jail thank God.

Most colleges require their baseball players to have good to excellent academic credentials.

My son played shortstop at UK. He was drafted by the Cardinals his junior year and wanted to go into the pros. My wife and I and his coaches insisted that he stay at UK and finish his degree first. He was drafted higher his senior year by the Phillies and he has his degree. I didn't know it, but the colleges must keep a graduation ratio level for their athletes. Football hurts that ratio. I guess the NCAA is trying to keep the college in college sports, but that is getting in the way of these schools making money and they are whining.

You are. of course, completely correct. I can tell you exactly what the statistics are.

Football:

College players: 67,887

NFL Draftees: 255

Basketball:

College players: 17,500

NBA Draftees: 48

Then, of course, there are the ones that make it, and bust. A significant percent of the draftees never play a down in the NFL.

Or the ones that have a decent career, but then go broke, usually buying stupid stuff for everyone in their family and friends.

And then, there's guys like Allen Iverson, who make all the money in the world, and have all the talent in the world, and just piss it all away.

And then, there's the guys like Roger Staubach, who attended New Mexico Military Institute to prepare for a bigger school, attended Navy on a free ride, won the Heisman, served in Vietnam as a Navy officer, completed his obligation to the Navy, was a 27 year old NFL rookie, made such a small amount of a salary in the NFL that he had to have a job when not playing football, eventually started his own real estate company and is now a power house commercial real estate corporation in Texas. THAT my friends, is someone to be looked up to.

• Like 5

Unfortunately I have on of those overly liberal "imbecile" kids living with me at the moment. He won't vote because he's to small of a voice but has plenty to say about, he's crying about "Crablegs" as he got his first masters degree from FSU and is afaid Clemson is going to kick there ass today. He has two masters degrees, no job exp. and wonders why nobody will hand him a $100,000 a year job, but he's too good to find a job that may require some effort.

I work two jobs, one real and one for fun and cash (referee soccer) and spend my money on momma, trips, and motorcycles. Now he's upset that I ordered a new scout and he does't get to have one. Get a F ing job punk!

Oh by the way, I'm not bitter!

Jeff

• Like 6

They ought to just let the dumb-asses go straight to the pro's from high school, like they do in baseball.

We had an alumnus at USC (the USC-S. Carolina) win the Heisman, played one year (I think, but I really didn't care), and then was kicked out because of cocaine use. Nice. They named a street after him, too. All because he could run fast and was big enough to run over people. I'm sure there had to be someone else in Columbia that deserved a street name more than him. Maybe someone saving lives or making our world a better place? He used to do commercials on the local TV in Columbia and could barely read the cue cards. I was embarassed for him and USC.

They ought to just let the dumb-asses go straight to the pro's from high school, like they do in baseball.

We had an alumnus at USC (the USC-S. Carolina) win the Heisman, played one year (I think, but I really didn't care), and then was kicked out because of cocaine use. Nice. They named a street after him, too. All because he could run fast and was big enough to run over people. I'm sure there had to be someone else in Columbia that deserved a street name more than him. Maybe someone saving lives or making our world a better place? He used to do commercials on the local TV in Columbia and could barely read the cue cards. I was embarassed for him and USC.

LOL, I had a guy on my crew that got a degree from one of the more popular schools in So. Cal. He went on to play for the N.O. Saints for a few years, so the first week he turns in a time sheet & I do the puter input, a couple days go by & I get a call from payroll and the lady tells me I spelled this guys name wrong, I pull his sheet and tell her NO, I spelled it just the way "he" spelled it, turns out he don't even know how to spell his own phuking name...

• Like 2

LOL, I had a guy on my crew that got a degree from one of the more popular schools in So. Cal. He went on to play for the N.O. Saints for a few years, so the first week he turns in a time sheet & I do the puter input, a couple days go by & I get a call from payroll and the lady tells me I spelled this guys name wrong, I pull his sheet and tell her NO, I spelled it just the way "he" spelled it, turns out he don't even know how to spell his own phuking name...

Prince?

• Like 1

I had a client sign his name as "Brain". His name is Brian. A mind is a terrible thing.....

Some of these so called college educated idiots do not have a brain. Only reason they got into college they can play ball. Whoopie you dumb MF's. I remember back in the 60"s at IBM they started pushing the minorities up putting in to high paying positions. That was the start of IBM going down and look what it is now. Don't get me wrong they are some good hard working educated minorities but now days you really got to look for them. Just have a conservation with some of them and you will see the picture. Hell I grew up with them. Worked with some good ones that would work and then there is what you have now days.

• Like 2

Some of these so called college educated idiots do not have a brain. Only reason they got into college they can play ball. Whoopie you dumb MF's. I remember back in the 60"s at IBM they started pushing the minorities up putting in to high paying positions. That was the start of IBM going down and look what it is now. Don't get me wrong they are some good hard working educated minorities but now days you really got to look for them. Just have a conservation with some of them and you will see the picture. Hell I grew up with them. Worked with some good ones that would work and then there is what you have now days.

I bet you will.

IBM is in bad shape because they didn't adapt and move ahead of the times. Those decisions may or may not have been made by those minorities "pushed up to the front" . No matter how smart the worker or regardless of sex, race, gay/not gay, weight, height, etc etc etc, if technological advances and outsourcing takes jobs...they ain't coming back. Plus, the world is simply over populated--too many people, not enuff jobs. Not until there is a good mass extinction will that change. The same technology that takes jobs makes us live longer, further offsetting the balance of things.

Also, everyone wants everything cheap (buy from china) and every company wants to maximize profit (produce in and buy from china) so they can give the execs bigger checks..Now imagine if Apple, HP, Microsoft, etc moved many of their jobs back Stateside...still wouldn't make a dent.. hell, even if all the mines in Appalachia kick out the robots and hire miners back..still wouldn't make a dent, well except to have more people being taken care of by the state with black lung. But hey, that's why we have Obamacare, rt? Actually, we are producing more and oil production is up, etc, but again..too many people, too few jobs.

As for the college edumacation thing, well, college is to prepare you for your future employment. In that aspect, for the small minority that makes it to the next level, I guess it was successful? As for the vast majority that doesn't make it, well some percentage of them get a degree and join the ranks of the unemployed because of--you guessed it, overpopulation. And boy when the corporate taxes are reduced and companies come back here..yeah rt..

I will agree that many (not all) athletes in all sports at high profile schools are given every opportunity and are pampered, entitled, elitist pricks.. because of the money they bring into the school. Football just happens to place the most money in the school's pocket, so those guys are the most untouchable.

Oh, and baseball sucks. Sorry Pete...

Edited by homer
  • Like 5

It has been a bad year for my Red Sox Eric! Not many go from World Champion to 26 fucking games back! I like Rugby. I started watching the New Zealand All-Blacks with my father-in-law many years ago, I know you like them as well. It is true what they say about Rugby players eating their dead!I have a daughter-in-law from Costa Rica who has gotten the family watching Football (what the rest of the world calls soccer), and then there is dwarf tossing. Whilst reading this thread, I remember during my undergrad years going to Math tutoring with the High Point University basketball team. We had a blast, and the tutor had a nice turd cutter! Some of us were gifted with talents elsewhere. I finally was able to get a grip on mathematics for the most part. Those other guys stayed in school somehow. It was prior to student athletes being placed under major scrutiny. That coupled with my university's NCAA Division 3 placement kept everything under the radar. I do not recall anyone jumping on tables and shouting anything about pussy though.

A little well deserved cannibalism a long time ago and ruggers are scarred for life.

Yeah.. don't know how part of the FSU meme is that particular act, but it is. IMO..Winston is a fool--a talented fool, but a fool nonetheless. He should have been punished (or not punished) same as everyone at FSU.

Now...if you told me that I was gonna be a multi-millionaire in a few months if I just kept my nose clean and played games...guess what I'd do?..

kids these days...

• Like 2

IBM is in bad shape because they didn't adapt and move ahead of the times. Those decisions may or may not have been made by those minorities "pushed up to the front" . No matter how smart the worker or regardless of sex, race, gay/not gay, weight, height, etc etc etc, if technological advances and outsourcing takes jobs...they ain't coming back. Plus, the world is simply over populated--too many people, not enuff jobs. Not until there is a good mass extinction will that change. The same technology that takes jobs makes us live longer, further offsetting the balance of things.

Also, everyone wants everything cheap (buy from china) and every company wants to maximize profit (produce in and buy from china) so they can give the execs bigger checks..Now imagine if Apple, HP, Microsoft, etc moved many of their jobs back Stateside...still wouldn't make a dent.. hell, even if all the mines in Appalachia kick out the robots and hire miners back..still wouldn't make a dent, well except to have more people being taken care of by the state with black lung. But hey, that's why we have Obamacare, rt? Actually, we are producing more and oil production is up, etc, but again..too many people, too few jobs.

As for the college edumacation thing, well, college is to prepare you for your future employment. In that aspect, for the small minority that makes it to the next level, I guess it was successful? As for the vast majority that doesn't make it, well some percentage of them get a degree and join the ranks of the unemployed because of--you guessed it, overpopulation. And boy when the corporate taxes are reduced and companies come back here..yeah rt..

I will agree that many (not all) athletes in all sports at high profile schools are given every opportunity and are pampered, entitled, elitist pricks.. because of the money they bring into the school. Football just happens to place the most money in the school's pocket, so those guys are the most untouchable.

Oh, and baseball sucks. Sorry Pete...

You seem to be smart man. A thoughtful man. Yes, almost ALL of mankinds problems are self induced. We are the most intelligent species (collectively) on the planet. But yet we act in idiotic, self destructive ways. We pay an athlete more than a teacher. More than a person who is supposed to instill knowledge unto our youth,,,We are like supersized fire ant colonies. Except fire ants are more civilized.

Edited by badndn
  • Like 3