Indian Motorcycle Community

Granddaughters Classmate Took Her Life

Just got call from my son telling that a friend of my granddaughter shot herself late yesterday afternoon. Another classmate (8th grade) was over at this girls house and found her. By the time the police got there she was dead.Very sad time for them. And last year at this school a new boy shot himself What is wrong with these kids now days?.All I know about it at this time.

I lived through a friend who committed suicide in highschool just days before his graduation. It will be very rough for her to understand the circumstances that led to that decision. My sincere condolences to the family and your granddaughter.

• Like 1

When my youngest son was about 8, his best buddy next door shot himself. He used his dads pistol, and he was a county deputy. He still talks about it to this day, and he's 35 now.

Sad, sad, sad................................................

I don't understand...................

Sad. I had a client/friend in my office 2 weeks ago Monday that said that he had been feeling like ending it all. We went to Clemson Univ. together back in the early seventies. I gave him a pep talk and told him tomorrow was a new day. Things will change. I didn't think he was serious, but he shot himself that night. They didn't find his body until the following Thursday. I guess we don't understand how miserable some people are.

Very sad to hear this, I too lost a friend to a self inflicted gun shot in High School & another just a couple years ago when I was @ Micmac's house in N.C. I have to go by the site of the latest twice a day (to & from work) I look up the hill and ask him why ? Twice a day

Very sad, may God comfort her family

I guess what really gets to me about this is when my brothers boy shot his self probably been 15 yrs ago. Did it with a single shot 22 rifle my brother got when my dad passed away. That was a Remington single shot 22 long barrel the rifle we learned to shoot with when we were kids. My brothers son got in with them drugs and they messed him up. So this kinda hits home. My daughter was telling me that this girl was over at the house off and on went down to the coast with them when she took a bunch of them girls down there. Smithville High School well this was the Junior High has had more than there share of these tragedies. So young had so much going for her she was a cheerleader.

Sorry your granddaughter now has this awful feeling in her life now, sorry also for the child's family, it is so frustrating to hear this kind of news knowing it is too late for anything to be done to change the outcome. I wish all the survivors the best in this troubling time.

We had a very high suicide rate in the National Guard when I left and heard this year was the highest ever despite many programs implemented to combat it. Mostly young white males, 20-30 years old and most hadn't even been deployed. Most were caused by relationship problems followed by financial problems. Personally, I believe the cause is moral and cultural. Kids (for the most part) are brought up nowadays without many values or ethics, everything they do is OK and they're being told they're perfect in every way. They aren't allowed to lose at games (most schools and leagues don't keep score anymore in soccer and other sports because the kid's feelings are hurt and the parents are offended if their child is a "loser")........everyone's a winner and everyone gets a trophy. Mom, Dad and Junior are all perpetually proud.

Problem is, these kids grow up, move into real life and find out they're not perfect and everything doesn't go their way. There are job and personal relationship failures they're not accustomed to. They get overwhelmed and traumatized with repeated "failures" so, what's the only way (and easiest way) out?

I know this analogy doesn't apply to everyone because many times there are mental and psychological issues in play. But, I see most suicides without a mental disorder as a systemic problem and avoidable if people are raised right and taught how to handle failure and disappointment throughout childhood. JMHO.

• Like 5

suicide knows no socio-economic, racial, age, religious, political ideology or other demographic bounds. depression, rage, selfishness, mental illness and all the other causes of suicide can affect anyone, for a multitude of reasons--some medical, some personal, some truly senseless. with that said, I often find it hard to see how young people who have not even begun to feel true pain can be so hopeless. I wonder the same about suicide bombers.

Hope your granddaughter and her friends' family find peace and accept they are not responsible.

• Like 1

suicide knows no socio-economic, racial, age, religious, political ideology or other demographic bounds. depression, rage, selfishness, mental illness and all the other causes of suicide can affect anyone, for a multitude of reasons--some medical, some personal, some truly senseless. with that said, I often find it hard to see how young people who have not even begun to feel true pain can be so hopeless. I wonder the same about suicide bombers.

Hope your granddaughter and her friends' family find peace and accept they are not responsible.

True, mostly. However, big difference between folks (especially kids) that feel hopeless about their particular situation and want to end their pain and those worthless suicide bombers who only want to inflict pain on others.

Have a friend I work with that has been very depressed...He has been taking medication to help...But yesterday he quit his job out of the Blue...Has no job to go to and relationship problems to top it off....His father killed himself when he was young...Scared he might do the same...Talked him out quiting before...No talking to him this time...I hope your Granddaughter can get over this...We will keep her in our prayers!!

13 yrs old what a shame.

Maybe a bit harsh on the parents who may have tried everything in their power to stop this.

• Like 1

Kids are inheriting what we have done in the past. We do not own the planet, but borrowing it from our kids & Grandkids!!!

The funeral was today. I have not heard news. But Smithville is a small town and I know how them people talk. I grew up there but moved away in the late 60's have lots of friends that still live there. I was looking at her facebook page reading some of her comments an by the tone of them something was troubling her. I here about this instagram never been on it but my daughter was telling me that some of those kids make remarks that should not be on there about other kids. I personally think that facebook and all that other crap should be off limits to them till say 21 yrs old. The things people put on facebook are dumb. Makes you wonder what in the hell are raising some of these kids.

• Like 1

Maybe a bit harsh on the parents who may have tried everything in their power to stop this.

This is very true, How can 3 out of 4 kids be perfectly content & well adjusted while all were raised the exact same way (great students & atheletes) good kids & one of the twin takes his own life for no apparent reason, this happenend while I was in High School and nobody saw it coming.

Nobody knowsthe DEMONS a kid has to deal with... Except themselves

• Like 1

kids today are on so many prescribed meds that it shouldn't be any wonder at all, either they kill themselves or others. Society not only accepts this, but they created this 700 lb gorilla. imo

This is very true, How can 3 out of 4 kids be perfectly content & well adjusted while all were raised the exact same way (great students & athletes) good kids & one of the twin takes his own life for no apparent reason, this happened while I was in High School and nobody saw it coming. Nobody knows the DEMONS a kid has to deal with... Except themselves.

Please don't generalise this, not every child is happy with the existing system in our society, and not everyone needs the same treatment. It's still not enough room to grow up on a more individual way. Most of this young people is forced to walk in a parent's footsteps, which is one of the most reasons for them, soon to fall into a deep depression. Most of this parents may have hundreds of excuses, tradition of the family, material necessities, competition with relatives, etc. etc.. Ask them, they would assert in any case that they have done their best.

Please don't generalise this, not every child is happy with the existing system in our society, and not everyone needs the same treatment. It's still not enough room to grow up on a more individual way. Most of this young people is forced to walk in a parent's footsteps, which is one of the most reasons for them, soon to fall into a deep depression. Most of this parents may have hundreds of excuses, tradition of the family, material necessities, competition with relatives, etc. etc.. Ask them, they would assert in any case that they have done their best.

Generalise ?? kind of what I was getting at was that whats good for 3 isn't good for 4, maybe I didn't get "that" point accross like I wanted, I know a kid that has had problems in the past & I am constantly checking in on him and taking him places that his dad would have if he hadn't put a 45 in his mouth & pulled the phuking trigger.

How do you suggest I continue this relationship with my best friends fatherless son ???