Indian Motorcycle Community

She Was My Gurl

As many know I had to send my 14 y/o Rotty to heaven on 7/7/14, she was more than a dog that protected my house & property & my family, she was FAMILY and went on every motorhome, dirt bike, boating & watercraft trip (she rode on the Sea-Doo with me) we went on for 13 years (I adopted her @ 8 months old) I have had many dogs & none have ever hurt me like this loss, I havbin a phuking mess for 2 months now and my daughters figured it was time for a change.

Enter Miss Maddie a 14 month old Rotty that came out off a Rescue, she was a little hyper today when she arrived for the "house check" and didn't know what all this big yard & grass stuff was about, she since has calmed down & has found "her spot" in front of the door so she can let all know that there is a "bad-ass" back in the house, she is a little thin at this point (75lbs.) but should tip the scales around 90-100lbs.

Please forgive my ramblings, but I needed to finally put into words how much I miss "my gurl" I don't expect Maddie to fill the void, if she is half the dog Sadie was, she will be a great companion & friend.

Thanks for reading

• Like 13

Good on ya Chris . . . congrats on your new companion . . . I hope Sadie has looked Sam up in the next life and their comparing notes . . .

1794792_213620498832590_2064546792_n.jpg

• Like 2

Congratulations on the new dog. I know how you can get attached to them and what it feels like to lose one. Got a spot out in the pasture where four or buried three Labs and one mutt. Got a GS now and he will be nine yrs ole this Christmas eve. Best thing for me is when I lost one to go get me another one. Enjoy it.

Good on you Chris

Got one of my labs on the way out shortly 13 years old "magnum " is a good son and friend all I can do now is make him comfy and give him a lot of live. Tough days coming my way

• Like 2

Rescue dogs are the best. Always hard loosing a friend and family member like that. We have a couple getting on in age and dread when that day come. Congrats and good luck with Maddie.

• Like 1

I like most dogs better than I like most people.

• Like 4

Rescue dogs are the best. Always hard loosing a friend and family member like that. We have a couple getting on in age and dread when that day come. Congrats and good luck with Maddie.

This is what my daughter tells me. Her boyfriend decided he wanted a dog (lives in a apartment) so she took him to the pound and he picked out one. The dog came from another city it was a rescue dog then they decided they did not want it and it was to be put down but he decided he wanted it so adopted him. It was a puppy a mix of something so he got spared. It is doing great now.

• Like 1

Good on you Chris... my wife got her first bullmastiff when we lived in DC area and I was being sent on an operation in Uganda....she was 4 months old...leftover in litter and one not pretty enough for shows...hahaha. Best dog we ever had with being that big in house...kids...etc. Bonded...but they are short lived...8 years and she was gone. Few months later we get our second bully....Chloe a brindle this time....wifes father died right after our first died and she did not want to deal with a puppy at that time. Later she did nto realize how much of the void the dog filled in our home and her heart.... She lasted 10 years.....and coincidentally...my wifes mother was dying as well....the dog passed Fall 2013...her mother Spring 2014...same deal almost....wife did not want a new dog. Then in June she decided she did and we picked up our now third bullmastiff girl....a puppy and she is wearing us out. Here she is at 8 weeks... this is Arya.

10341938_1452348231719157_39473441635830

Edited by Brock
  • Like 2

I think I have had 4 Labs since about 1995 been great dogs they all got a special place out in the pasture around a post oak tree along with the Cocker Spaniel and ole mutt we had. Before my daughter went off to college she was telling me I need to get another dog she like them Siberian Husky but I saw a add for German Shepard pups for sale one day they were probably 100+ miles from us so I decided to go get me one wife decided she would go too. Our Cocker was still alive then. I bought this one pup and brought him home. Him and the Cocker got along good while he was little. Cocker done lost one eye from the cat we had scratched him in it and they had to remove it. Brought the GS home and my daughter named him Max. He was born on Christmas eve. Come home one day from work and he had chewed the wires up on my trailer repaired that. Came home a couple of months later and he and the Cocker were laying under my truck and hmmm something hanging down at the back of the truck he had chewed the wires on my trailer plug no problem I fix that. Came home another time and they were laying under my truck and something hanging down from drivers side :ooh2: I looks under there and o shit I crawl under to get a better look and he had chewed the big main wiring harness going to the back of the truck into wires just a hanging. That dam long mouth of his had pulled the harness down and he commenced to a chewing. I spliced them all back together good thing they were color coded. He has gotten older now so he don't do things like that anymore turned into a great companion uh I think I rated him above the wife. :rotfl:

About three years ago he was laying on the front porch and heard all this noise went out there and I thought he was going to die. May daughter had giving me a couple of books on GS and been doing a lot of reading about them and on internet too. He had a seizure and from what I read it was kinda common in some of the GS. He had a several more later on. Took him to vet and they set that was what he was having they only had two types of drugs to put him on and they had there side effects and he would have to have regular blood tests. I got to researching on the net and found this place Only Natural Pet Store in Colorado. Saw a Holistic product they had for this so I decided to try it. Vet was all for these kind of things. It has slowed his seizures down don't have as many. Where ever I go he has got to be there watching me. He is great watch dog. I is very happy I picked him out of the litter she had. He has some problems but we just deal with them. I guess since I have grown older I have become more attached to this dog than the others we have had. I know there will come a time shortly when he will take his place out there with the others and I will get me another one. Had dogs all my life Damm just heard him yelp and went out there and he had a seizure he is coming out it now a little confused for a while.

• Like 1

Thanks for posting Chris...

Mrs Harleynot showed me an ad on Craigslist that some idiot posted one day. We were thinking it was time to look for another dog.

The ad says " please take this dog off my hands before I put a bullet in its head" ...

I kid you not ....

I decided it would be getter if I not go look at the dog initially.....So she goes over to the place where the dog is and sends me a pic. Owner claims it's a Bull Mastiff and Blue Healer mix.

My wife calls me and says owner is nuts and the dog is scary.

Dog is chained up and very aggressive in the short video I saw. I tell my wife to call animal control and get the fuck out of there.

Mrs Harleynot says, I'm not leaving without this dog.

I'm glad she told me what the deal was......

One year ago and my best buddy , Gus and I are both grateful we found each other.....

• Like 5

some owners need to be shot...

• Like 5

Here's alittle history of Maddie, she is a papered dog that is highly reguarded for her background ( I couldn't care less) she cost the first owner $2,500 and caught Parvovirus @ a few months old, the owner paid to get her through this ( thank you Lord) and then found out she could not be used as a puppy mill & turned over to the rescue (thanks again Big Guy) she hasbin @ the rescue for 7 months as she didn't like anyone that past the written application & the phone interview, 3 people before me actually got to meet her & Maddie didn't connect (she didn't like them) when we walked thru the kennels with all the dogs going crazy she sat donw and acted like a good gurl, the owner of the rescue asked which one we wanted to see first (there were 2 young females) I said this one and she brought Maddie out of her enclosure, she walked over to me & licked my hand & I patted my chest and she jumped-up and laid her head on my chest (done deal) I took the leash & walked her to the front yard to meet the rest of my family, she walked right next to me & was a very proper gurl,

Within 20 minutes I taught her to sit, lay, heal & give kisses, this was two weeks ago, I told the owner I didn't need to see the other one and wanted to adopt Maddie, We went home & I started puppy proofing, built a wrought iron cage to protect her from the electrical on the A/C condensor, 30' of wrought iron fencing to keep her from getting behind my 2nd garage & built her a 30'x60' chain-linc dog run for the few minutes a day she might have to be alone until she proves she can be left alone with access to the house via the 16"x24" built-in dog door, I have about 70hrs into all the prep-work so when the home inspection came yesterday we could take posession as we haven't had a puppy since 12/3/2013 "WE PASSED"

She is very protective & is an attention whore (this can be expected) she snuck up on the bed @ some point last night & when I woke and rolled to my right there was an ass in my face (rotty's will always lay looking @ the point of entry) I just might have to change the position of my bed if she continues to sneek up.

She is NOT perfect as I just came in from changing the water bowl & she had pulled down the treats from the counter & had her whole head in the bag going for gold....I can't wait to scoop up "that" mess, Ahhh the training of a new dog

• Like 3

Hell Brock you and Maddie ought to get along great. She is Not perfect and You is Not well you get where I is a coming from. :rotfl:

Hell Brock you and Maddie ought to get along great. She is Not perfect and You is Not well you get where I is a coming from. :rotfl:

The thing is... Maddie can be trained, Brock... NOT so much :rauch08:

• Like 4

The ad says " please take this dog off my hands before I put a bullet in its head" ...

A guy up where my wife works saw that his neighbor was abusing his dog. He talked to the guy and gave him $100 for the dog and for a promise from him to never own another dog.

The dog had been chained outside through the winter, had been starved, and was generally in bad shape. It was a long process but they brought her (the dog) back to good health with lots of vet visits and special food. He though she was going to die or at least have a short life, but was determined to give her a good life for whatever time she had left. She recovered though and is doing fine now.

My wife and I have dogs and cats running all over the place - all of them rescues. We routinely volunteer at a local no-kill rescue center... it's hard not to bring home every animal there.

Animals are better people than any human being ever will be.

Sorry to hear of your loss, but happy you found a new companion.

• Like 3

God Bless you Ken (and the rest of you dog guys)

My labs are all rescues as well, my middle pup "Beau" was found by the sheriff after neighbors heard him screaming. they arrived to find him dragging him self around a concrete dog run by his front paws, the motherless, low life, POS that had him beat up with bat and broke his pelvis, he was eating garbage scraps and horribly malnourished, they were going to put him down until one of the cops said she would take him to the shelter to see if he could be saved.

He spent 3 months in a crate in casts and was hammered with fluids and pulled through, all the time a high school that volunteered would sit and talk to him and finally was able to touch him and take him out. He was labeled "unadoptable and special needs". my wife saw him listed on the shelter site and we decided we would give him a chance.

Spent the next 6 weeks in my home not even looking at him, one day he was out with Magnum and came running to me, I was able to give him a hug, he's been with us for 8 years now, crashes on the loveseat and goes with me almost everywhere, a real sweetheart. As mentioned earlier < i will most likely not have my oldest (13) "Magnum " by this weekend, already feel like my heart is beaing ripped out again, I will lean heavily on "Beau and "The Chopper" to help me through this week.

Dogs are a gift from God

• Like 4

My heart hurts for you my friend, on Sat. when I showed the owner of the Rotty rescue the tat on my right arm of Sadie Rose I broke-up, I know Maddie will never replace my gurl, but she will be a great gurl in her own right. I'm pecking this one handed because we are playing tug-O-war. You have my phone number if you want to talk, I will be thinking about you & your Magnum

Damn-it I think I got something in my eyes cause they are watering like crazy

My heart hurts for you my friend, on Sat. when I showed the owner of the Rotty rescue the tat on my right arm of Sadie Rose I broke-up, I know Maddie will never replace my gurl, but she will be a great gurl in her own right. I'm pecking this one handed because we are playing tug-O-war. You have my phone number if you want to talk, I will be thinking about you & your Magnum

Damn-it I think I got something in my eyes cause they are watering like crazy

Must havbin when you forgot to flip your visor down at work. That welding flash can raise Hell with your eyes. Couldn't be the dogs ...

And good on you for giving her proper training. My ex has anywhere from 1 - 10 dogs in her house everyday - she's a sitter. The think that drives her the craziest are people who don't have a clue about training their dogs and don't listen to someone who does. Not fair to the dog or anyone who has to deal with it. And don't even get me started about people who think dogs need to be trained with a 2 x 4. I know what you'd like to do to them ...

• Like 1

Our baby girl Maggie is laying here next to me in the man-cave wishing I'd hurry up,and get off this forum,and pay her some attention.

I guess we're human after all.

Edited by Roadroach
  • Like 1

Our baby girl Maggie is laying here next to me in the man-cave wishing I'd hurry up,and get off this forum,and pay her some attention.

I guess we're human after all.

Yeah, I have a soft spot for kidz & amimals, a couple years ago I seen this guy yanking the shit out of a young Yeller Lab, I drove around the block & parked at the curb & pulled a leash & choke chain out from under the seat, I walked up to the guy and told him to put it on, he told me he wasn't going to put it on, I told him the only way I was going to let him walk away with that dog was for him to put the collar on and experience what the dog does when you yank him around (his choise) he reluctlantly put it on & I gave him a good tug & kicked him in the twinz. When I drove off I kinda had the feeling I should have taken the dog also, I won't make that mistake again

• Like 1

I just finish cutting the grass for I hope last time till next year. I be cutting in front Max lay/set on front porch just watching me go back and forth. Get on side of house and move to side porch and watch move to back and he moves to back porch and just watches. His bucket of water is on back porch he will go stick his foot in it and turn it over then go lay on side porch when I come around there and see what he did I point the finger at him and start shaking it and he kinda looks down. He knows what he did. And this happens every day. I ready for some cold fronts to start coming thru and cool things off. Suppose to have one coming thru late Friday. They say then no more 100 degree days. Max he a like that cold air.

• Like 1

My daughters Choc. Lab watches me pick up the land mines, start to mow the yard & saunterz over to the freash cut part & lay's down a trophy dump & goes back over and lays down in the shade... Nothing like shitten on freash cut grass

Edited by hasbin
  • Like 2