Indian Motorcycle Community

Opinions On The Inline 4

Doesn't take a genius to figure out that the next logical addition to the Polaris Indian should be the Inline 4. I think Polaris will again utilize other resources under their corporate umbrella to expedite the development. They own a car company called Aixam Mega. They make little teeny cars with little teeny engines, I think the 4 will be watercooled (ugh) and will possibly come from this company. (at least in part) The frame will be cast like the current bikes with the engine used as a part of the frame structure. Fun to speculate. Opinions?

I just looked up that company on line. Interesting vehicles.. 2 cylinder 400 cc engines.. Can't sell them here in the US due to all the guv'mnt regulations of course.

I'm not sure what to think about an Indian 4. I think an in-line engine would be too difficult to pull off due to the length the engine would have to be in order to handle cooling and displacement (the old Indian 4's were only 74 cui I believe). So I think a V4 or an opposed 4 would be more likely.

What sort of bike would they put this engine into? I would have thought it would go into a Roadmaster, but that didn't happen.

This may raise some eyebrows... but I'm not a fan of the four... I don't care if they build one or not....

• Like 1

I hope it looks like the new Scout and is cheaper!

Well ... the 4 was always the highest priced and low in production number ...

thats why Stu doesn't like it.
  • Like 1

Maybe they should iron out the problems with their present offerings

prior to opening another can of worms? :pirate1::oops::ooh2::grin: :grin: :lookaround2:

nah

The original 4's were the least produced, most expensive, and had the greatest number of problems.

I think (and I only own a gilroy) that Polaris will wait until their numbers are highter on the other bikes before delving into this. Instead of a 4 like the Indian, how about an inline 4 like a 750 Honda ? ( just joking)

Size, expense, layout will be a problem, so I think it will be a few years.

thats why Stu doesn't like it.

So... If Polaris builds a four..... Makes it 45grand and only produces 1000 a year your in right????

Money talks.... Bullshit walks... :)

I would think inline 4 water cooled a heavy cruiser to compete with the Goldwing touring crowd maybe an opposed Boxer style 4 but still water cooler lots of bells and whistles

I would think inline 4 water cooled a heavy cruiser to compete with the Goldwing touring crowd maybe an opposed Boxer style 4 but still water cooler lots of bells and whistles

But isn't that market what the Roadmaster is going after?

My 140ci inline 3 Triumph cost $15k new

This isn't Rocket Science folks. Add a cynlinder, stick it in a longer/larger frame

Done

• Like 1

an Indian 4 would be a niche within a niche me thinks.....higher cost, lower profit due to much smaller customer base. I am not sure the big engines are really wanted...even Honda shut down their GoldWing factory here in South Carolina.....Triumph has not been making any huge profits or sales records either...and the Boss Hoss, well....a fad as if you think the 111 puts off a lot of heat to your legs...even with water cooling the engines that are TWICE as large are still going to be HOT!

This isn't Rocket Science folks. Add a cynlinder, stick it in a longer/larger frame

Done

Key word Rocket Science. Now where have I heard that before.

I don't see the road master as competition for a gold wing. It may be the target but I think it falls short not that I don't like the roadmaster its just not a Goldwing.

Done

I'm in on the 3-Cyl. But I want a V-3

I'm in on the 3-Cyl. But I want a V-3

It could be done.....just place the cylinders in the shape of a triangle. :nod:

• Like 1

It could be done.....just place the cylinders in the shape of a triangle. :nod:

It hasbin done, the 3rd jug angles forward & it looks cool