Indian Motorcycle Community

Windshield Bags

I take the saddlebags off the Gilroy when I'm just riding around locally because I think it looks better. However, this leaves me with no place to carry small but necessary items such as my cell phone, smokes, glasses, keys, wallet, etc. Not really a problem stuffing everything in my pockets when I'm wearing a jacket, but not so handy with just a T-shirt.

So, I've been looking online at the wide variety of windshield bags but they all seem to have the same single-point mounting hole in the rear center of the bag. The Rifle windshield doesn't have a single bolt in the middle of the windshield to mount a bag and I'm not going to drill one through the middle of the Indian logo, so this "universal" mounting system won't work. Mounting the bag off center would drive me nuts and drilling two mounting holes in the bag is an option too.......but I don't like fabricating stuff to make it work if I don't have to. I see Rifle actually makes a bag specifically for their windshields (I assume it has two mounting holes.....no photos of the rear) so that's a possible option but I was looking for a few more choices before I settled with the only thing I can find. Yes, I know there are some custom makers of windshield bags (Chilowhee, Horndawg, etc) but I'm trying to avoind spending $150 for a small leather pouch.

Anyway, for those guys/gals that use one, I'm looking to see what you use, how you like it and how you have it mounted. Thanks in advance for the help.

I just drilled 2 holes in the bag for the Rifle windshield bolt. Prolly have to get longer bolts too.

Had to find a bag that will work otherwise.

Good luck

I went the cheap route and found a leather fanny pack cut the straps off and mounted to the inside of the windshield. have a car radio, GPS wiring sunglasses flashlight, regular glasses , and tire gauge in it.

• Like 1

Captain Itch:

Sorry for the crappy photo but, here you go. The distance between the two vertical support struts is approximately 14" so I was thinking about 10" would be wide enough. Most of the larger bags currently offered are 10" anyway. The distance between the two center windshield bolts is approximately 5-1/4".

Windshield_zpse9e8609d.jpg

Take a look at this. I love the big clasp because I can open and close it even with gloves on in the winter. Looking at your bike, I could add stainless steel studs along the flap to match the rest of your bike. Just have to have the distance from center to center.

These bags don't have pre punched holes, as everybody mounts them different when it comes to how high or low to mount it. Trust me, I speak from experience. I ended up with 3 holes on my own bag. First I've put too high, then as low as I could go and loved it. But when I added my GPS to the handlebar, I could not open the bag, because the GPS was in the way. So I had to hang it a little higher for that.

The bag comes with a plastic strip for the inside, so your washer of the screw does not pierce through the leather and has something solid in between. With the studs it is $70 plus about $8 shipping to Ohio. If you are interested, just email me at Larryxd@gmail.com.

Edited by Captain Itch

Email sent.

Just sent the bag your way. Hope you'll like it. I have included the plastic strip for the inside with 2 holes 5.25" apart. Just let me know when you get it and if it works. If it works, I'll Paypal you, and if not, just send it back. I keep my fingers crossed.

Isabel

Thank you, Ma'am. Per our discussion, I'm sure it will work. PM or email me your PayPal address and I'll take care of it right away.

Guys/Gals:

I received the windshield bag today from Captain Itch and got it installed. Other than having to purchase some longer windshield bolts for the thickness of the leather and the plastic mounting strip, installation was very easy. Attached are a couple photos. The quality is great, the price was very reasonable and it looks like a factory piece. Thanks, Captain Itch!

IMG_20140906_142238383_HDR_zps17dc3d69.jIMG_20140906_142304084_zpsbcd877ed.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I'm on it!

can you make custom gas tank bibs? i looking for a nice one of a kind custom made thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I went the cheap route and found a leather fanny pack cut the straps off and mounted to the inside of the windshield. have a car radio, GPS wiring sunglasses flashlight, regular glasses , and tire gauge in it.

i"ve been looken for something differant my self like the fanny pack thing saw a leather one i"m going that way thanks.