Indian Motorcycle Community

Question About Warrenty

We went to the Indian dealer a few weeks ago, and the sales man told me that this August they would shorten the warranty from 3 to 1 year? Did I get this right?

Reason I am asking is, that I am riding a Harley right now (yeah, stop grunting), but am looking into the Indian Vintage because I love the look. Just can' stand the modern streamline, every bike looks the same, design. But the husband thinks to wait a couple of years until they get the bugs out.

Are there any? Would love to hear from you.

Isabel

My understanding is will have 2, down from 5. You can always get an extended warranty

I just got an email from Indian. The 2014 s are going back to the 5yr warranty . The 2015s come with a 2yr warranty. The finance rate is better on the 2014s

I just got an email from Indian. The 2014 s are going back to the 5yr warranty . The 2015s come with a 2yr warranty. The finance rate is better on the 2014s

Thanks guys. That sounds like I should start looking a little closer again.

Thanks guys. That sounds like I should start looking a little closer again.

Now that the 15's are out, some dealers are having pretty good deals on the 14's still on the showroom. Our local dealer is.

Couple that with the fact that the 14's have the WAY longer warranty, then the only downside is the leather.

Dr. Mark-

Who is your local dealer and how much is a 2014 Vintage? Colors available?

Indian Steve, Marks dealer is IndianMotorcycleCharlotte.com. I saw some really nice 2 tone 14s there on Thursday. Looked like great deals.

I would get the distressed leather, even with the fading issue. (Again)

Edited by Fat Cat

• 2 weeks later...

Indian Steve, Marks dealer is IndianMotorcycleCharlotte.com. I saw some really nice 2 tone 14s there on Thursday. Looked like great deals.

I would get the distressed leather, even with the fading issue. (Again)

The more I look at your signature pics, the more I want an Indian. I can see myself on something like Clan Chiefs Ivory Creme.

Now ...(and please don't ban me for asking this)....what model is it? I can identify the HDs pretty good, but I am totally unexperienced when it comes to Indians models, and what the difference is between them. Any hint would be greatly appreciated.

We went to the Indian dealer a few weeks ago, and the sales man told me that this August they would shorten the warranty from 3 to 1 year? Did I get this right?

Reason I am asking is, that I am riding a Harley right now (yeah, stop grunting), but am looking into the Indian Vintage because I love the look. Just can' stand the modern streamline, every bike looks the same, design. But the husband thinks to wait a couple of years until they get the bugs out.

Are there any? Would love to hear from you.

Isabel

I ride a 2014 Vintage, and currently have 21,000 miles on the clock. It's a fantastically running bike. Yes there are some issues, the biggest one being that the leather treatment on the 2014's was sub par. I understand this has been corrected on the 2015 models.

Other than that there are some smaller issues, but it think that many of these come with the lack of familiarity with the bike. Shifting feels different partly due to the gear driven primary. Some complain of lifter noise... But coming from riding a HD that probably won't bother you.

As I said, my vintage is a great bike, and I have put enough miles on it to really know. So I doubt there is any reason to hold off your purchase.

The more I look at your signature pics, the more I want an Indian. I can see myself on something like Clan Chiefs Ivory Creme.

Now ...(and please don't ban me for asking this)....what model is it? I can identify the HDs pretty good, but I am totally unexperienced when it comes to Indians models, and what the difference is between them. Any hint would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Captain,

My bike is a 2010 Chief Vintage. It was built in Kings Mountain NC.

You generally have 3 options.

GILROY Chiefs built in Gilroy CA from 1999 to 2003.

KINGS MOUNTAIN Chiefs built in Kings Mountain NC from 2009 to 2012..

SPIRIT LAKE Chiefs build in Spirit Lake Iowa - 2014 to present.

My Chief is is the Ivory Creme, which is not offered on the new SL Chiefs ( yet ).

If you are thinking of buying, the new Spirit Lake is what you want in my opinion. ( even if you have to have it painted ) You are in TN, and there is one 2014 SL Chiefs already partially painted in the Creme in Lowell NC right now - at a discount. http://www.indianmotorcyclecharlotte.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?veh=374042&pov=3811099

The Gilroy Chiefs came either with a S&S EVO design engine and softail frame or a swing arm frame and EVO design Powerplus engine.

THe KM Chiefs have a EVO design Powerplus 105 engine in a swingarm frame, and started about $30K

The SL Chiefs have a totally new Polaris design engine. I think you will find it far superior to the EVO designs that were used earlier. Call Mark at Indian Charlotte, and schedule a test ride.

IF however, you want something unique, see if you can find a KM or Gilroy Chief to ride--- its a totally different ride than the SL Chiefs.

Good luck, and let us know what you find.

Bob

• Like 1

Have you dealer throw in a extended warranty to get you to five years... problem solved ;)

Edited by RickkciR
  • Like 1

Clan Chief,

wow, that was more lesson than expected. Thank you VERY much. I will look into that, but also take my time.

Next question...is there a difference in gears like the Harleys do, with the older models have 5, and the newer having 6 gears?

Just love to have that extra gear on the interstate.

Next question...is there a difference in gears like the Harleys do, with the older models have 5, and the newer having 6 gears?

All models, Chiefs and Scouts have 6 gears

Clan Chief,

wow, that was more lesson than expected.

Yeah..... bob talks a lot... fact.. ya can't get him to shut up... but then he lives with Randa... so when he gets a chance to talk he takes full advantage.... :grin:

• Like 2

6th gear "cruise drive" has about the same ratio as do HD's, so it will be about what you are familiar with.

OTOH the KM or King's Mountain Indians (2009-2012 or 2013) have a lower ratio, so in 6th gear you are spinning about 50 rpm less than the new Polaris/Indian SL bikes.

Yeah..... bob talks a lot... fact.. ya can't get him to shut up... but then he lives with Randa... so when he gets a chance to talk he takes full advantage.... :grin:

Don't we all talk more when we are away from our wives?

Clan Chief,

wow, that was more lesson than expected. Thank you VERY much. I will look into that, but also take my time.

To answer the question you asked---

Yes, the Gilroy bikes all have 5 spds

KM and SL models have 6 spds.

The Gilroy bikes do need another gear over 70 MPH.

Bob

Thanks guys. A lot. That really helps me to narrow it down.

Looks like the KM or SL is it for me with the extra gear. Will be on the lookout on ebay, craigslist, golsn, and who knows where. Larry (the pretty face of the Captain itch logo...my husband) goes for all the technical stuff when he choses a bike. I go for the visual and the color has to be right.

Then I want to accessorize with lots of leather "my way", with maybe hair on hide, studs and beads, turquoise...who knows. But that's a fantasy right now. First I have to find the right bike. Would love to have a kind of neutral color like black or white, so I can change tank and fender bib, crotch cooler, windshield bag, crash bar covers, and all that with different color themes. That's my goal. It may take me a little while, but I'll keep you posted.