Indian Motorcycle Community

Anyone Recognize This Chief?

I saw this at a Bike Night event in Milwaukee (notice the IIRA sticker on the neck). Later, we talked to the guy (young guy) that owned it and he said he bought it 3 years ago, and the sticker was on it. He said it's a 2001 Chief, but as you can see, it's gotta be a '99 or '00 Chief (dry primary, two bolt front fender, super wide beach bars). There is also what looks to be points.

Just curious if anyone here knows anything about this Chief.Chief.jpg

2000 Chief. 99s didn't have the chrome eyebrows. May have been a late build 2000 sold into 2001. Blue and grey color scheme also tags it as a 2000. Or is that a light blue? Difficult to tell with the lighting in the picture.

Blue & Grey was last offered in 2000.

Looks like he added a Joe Hunt magneto also. That wasn't cheap. That is the first conversion like that I have seen. Very different.

It is a 2000 also bc of the key location. If I recall correctly, 1999 bikes had the key located on the other side of the bike.

99s had the key mounted between the jugs on the left side.

Blue & Grey is a great color combo.

It's a for sure ~ 2000 the oil tank is top feed.

Needs a kickstarter...

I saw this at a Bike Night event in Milwaukee (notice the IIRA sticker on the neck). Later, we talked to the guy (young guy) that owned it and he said he bought it 3 years ago, and the sticker was on it. He said it's a 2001 Chief, but as you can see, it's gotta be a '99 or '00 Chief (dry primary, two bolt front fender, super wide beach bars). There is also what looks to be points.

Just curious if anyone here knows anything about this Chief.Chief.jpg

$_57.JPG

Edited by CHIEF DOC 99

Needs earplugs. Your ass'd be deaf after a few hours on that bad boy.

• Like 1

Well it is a late 2000 model...They relocated the rear brake reservoir in the last half of 2000...Mine is an early 2000 model with the Brake reservoir sticking out past the floorboard...981543_378471528929995_464880580_o_zpsa1

There was an Indian rider from Wisconsin that used to frequent this forum (maybe infrequently) years back.

If I recall correctly, he had some kind of a break-down with his Chief, and the good members of this forum helped him out, with donations, so he could get his bike back on the road.

I'm thinking that was around 2004-5.

looking at this picture, I wonder if this is that bike.

Well it is a late 2000 model...They relocated the rear brake reservoir in the last half of 2000...Mine is an early 2000 model with the Brake reservoir sticking out past the floorboard...981543_378471528929995_464880580_o_zpsa1

There was a service bulletin on the brake reservoirs in late 99/early 2000 as some guys were hitting their brakes in turns, or when parking the bikes, and sending the brake reservoir into the back of the front fender. This bike may have had that work done or needed to in order to include the freeway bar.

Chief.jpg

981543_378471528929995_464880580_o_zpsa1

IMC Service bulletins... is there a full chronological list somewhere guys could use as a reference?

Wasn't an actual recall, or was it? ~ floorboard mounts were changed ~ older = billet ~ newer = black

There were some Optional extra$$$ IMC 'upgrade' foot controls that looked & functioned better.