Indian Motorcycle Community

Lake Louise In Late August

I'm thinking of riding up to Alberta to see Lake Louise in late August. What's the weather usually like up there at that time of year?

Buckshot aka Ron aka CalgaryChief aka whiskeybagpipes... lives within riding distance from Lake Louise.....I'd ask him...

Ron has some beautiful bikes ...

Alberta Iron Indian Riders http://www.albertaironindianriders.ca/

youtube ride videos on their facebook page I believe from that area.

or

we have at least 5 or 6 other IIRA members who post regularly, that are in in the general vicinity, they should chime in..

Edited by harleynot

I've been up there in mid-june (rained all day) and mid-july (clear,mild and gorgeous). My recommendation would be to expect good weather but be prepared for anything.

I hitchhiked through there in 75, I don't remember a fucking thing.

• Like 4

I'm thinking of riding up to Alberta to see Lake Louise in late August. What's the weather usually like up there at that time of year?

Bucksot lives an hour east of Lake Louis in Calgary we are 3 hrs north in Edmonton, sure hope the weather is good as we are heading south to Kallispell Mt. and Couer d'Alene Id for our Chicken fried steak run. It is pretty sad when we have to travel 5 hrs to get CFS no one in Canada has a clue how to make it.

The weather should be good maybe we will cross paths.

Afterfour(Rick)

• Like 1

I hitchhiked through there in 75, I don't remember a fucking thing.

Must have been a good trip.

Bucksot lives an hour east of Lake Louis in Calgary we are 3 hrs north in Edmonton, sure hope the weather is good as we are heading south to Kallispell Mt. and Couer d'Alene Id for our Chicken fried steak run. It is pretty sad when we have to travel 5 hrs to get CFS no one in Canada has a clue how to make it.

The weather should be good maybe we will cross paths.

Afterfour(Rick)

The area around Couer D'Alene is beautiful. Had cousins lived on the shore of Lake Ponderae <sp>... Visited twice and hated to leave both times...

Couer D'Alene is nice - been there a few times myself. The last time I was at Lake Louise was back in the 70's... it was raining like hell then... I forget what time of year that was.

Must have been a good trip.

Fresh out of the Army and chilling out, and I had been known to walk around with an illegal smile in those days Ken. I walked from Lake Louise to Kamloops BC. Then I hopped a freight to Victoria, BC. If everything goes the way I am planning on it I will be riding my 2015 Red & Creme Chieftain through there with a legends sidecar. Ms. Micmac retires in April 2015 and wants to "take a long ride." I always do what my wife says. 002 "Snake Eyes" will be relegated to parade duty. So if you like it there, and want to make a return trip, let me know. She has 2 billion free nights at hotels from her job, everyone else get the extra room ready!

• Like 2

Fresh out of the Army and chilling out, and I had been known to walk around with an illegal smile in those days Ken. I walked from Lake Louise to Kamloops BC. Then I hopped a freight to Victoria, BC. If everything goes the way I am planning on it I will be riding my 2015 Red & Creme Chieftain through there with a legends sidecar. Ms. Micmac retires in April 2015 and wants to "take a long ride." I always do what my wife says. 002 "Snake Eyes" will be relegated to parade duty. So if you like it there, and want to make a return trip, let me know. She has 2 billion free nights at hotels from her job, everyone else get the extra room ready!

Make sure you give me fair warning so we can join you on part of the trip. I've ridden in, but never through the Rockies, so I'd like to make the trip. I know of some great routes down in the Cariboo and Kootenays that are way off the beaten path.

Ken B. July and August are usually great weather months in Banff. But with the crazy weather patterns we're all experiencing now, one never knows. The days are great, the nights can be pretty chilly, and we're far enough north that the days are still long in August. On August 1st you will have 15 hrs 21 minutes of daylight, by the 31st it's down to 13:35. Here's the current forecast for August, which is worth nothing: http://www.accuweather.com/en/ca/lake-louise/t0l/august-weather/51957

Let us know when you're coming and what route you're taking, we'll try and shake loose some riders to meet up with you and fly the IIRA flag, metaphorically speaking. If you've never taken the Highway to the Sun, that is one impressive ride through Glacier National Park: http://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/goingtothesunroad.htm

Then you can get over to the Cowboy Trail (Hwy 22), ride north to Longview, then west on Hwy 40, which takes you about as high as you can get - almost the tree line. You get back on TransCanada #1 which takes you through Canmore and on into Banff, which has unfortunately deteriorated into an Asian tourist trap, but it's still worth a look. You'll be nostalgic for what it was like in the '70's. There are a ton of things to see around Banff - the gondola at Sulphur Mountain is worth a look. Johnson Canyon, Moraine Lakes, ...

Depending on how much time you have, we can send you all sorts of places on your way home - like the Icefields Parkway to Jasper national park - not nearly as commercialized as Banff. http://www.icefieldsparkway.ca/

Or into the Kootenays and Cariboos: http://valhallainn.biz/motorcycle_tours.html

Send me a PM if you'd like more info. I'll call you.

• Like 1

Blue Diesel:

Sounds great! I'll be working on my route next week and will send you a link to a google map of it. If you have suggestions I'd love to hear them. I'd enjoy meeting up with as many of my IIRA brothers as possible.

I rode Going to the Sun road last summer on my KM. You're right, it's a beautiful ride. That ride took me through Yellowstone, then up to Glacier NP, then over to the Columbia River, and out to the PCH down through Oregon and Cali - Avenue of the Giants - then on into the SF bayarea to visit my daughter and grand kids. Nice ride!

• Like 1

Some real nice riding in the area. Weather will still be quite hot and chance of the mountain thunderstorms. I included a real nice ride on this route around from Bonners ferry, the ride is twisty along the lake and even a small ferry ride to enjoy the view.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/51.1823848,-115.4841352/48.7628912,-116.2892187/@49.1738049,-116.189117,7z/data=!4m9!4m8!1m5!3m4!1m2!1d-116.9078856!2d49.8928579!3s0x537b68f84d8acd1d:0x2aa3115add621378!1m0!3e0

• Like 2

Lake Louise and Banff are awesome places to visit and ride. Right now, there are having a bad fire season in western Alberta and even Washington and Oregon. My friends in Bigfork, Montana are experiencing heavy smoke just about every day. Better check the wildfire status as your trip draws near.

• Like 3

Blue Diesel:

Sounds great! I'll be working on my route next week and will send you a link to a google map of it. If you have suggestions I'd love to hear them. I'd enjoy meeting up with as many of my IIRA brothers as possible.

I rode Going to the Sun road last summer on my KM. You're right, it's a beautiful ride. That ride took me through Yellowstone, then up to Glacier NP, then over to the Columbia River, and out to the PCH down through Oregon and Cali - Avenue of the Giants - then on into the SF bayarea to visit my daughter and grand kids. Nice ride!

Looking forward to it, and hoping we can connect. The forest fires are a problem right now. The Horsemen have had to shut down the highways periodically because vision was nil. We've got fires a few hundred miles NW of us, and other as far away as the NWT, and the smoke has been so bad that everything has been covered by fine gray ash. Hopefully those will be under control before you get her.

• Like 1

We're getting smoke from fired down in Arizona. Seems every year more of the western forests go up in smoke.

Yup. Good think global warming is a myth, or we might have more forest fires ..... Hey, wait a minute ???????????????????

Actually for me Global Warming = more riding days, so I'm all for it.

The earth has been on a warming cycle for the last 15,000 years... since the last ice age. Roman ruins have been found where during their civilization they had to move the house because the sea level rose. So yeah, it's warming but I doubt we had anything to do with it.

I want to avoid the Labor Day holiday traffic, so I'll probably be home before the end of August.

Well dang it.

http://gocanada.about.com/od/canadatraveloverview/qt/uscitizenborder.htm

my passport has long since expired - so canada is out. maybe I'll take a run through northern Idaho and Washington instead.