Indian Motorcycle Community

Riding Protocol

If I catch a group of motorcycles of which I'm not a part, I just stay back and keep my distance as a single bike (even at traffic lights) until we go our separate ways. But, is there an established (or even unwritten) protocol for single riders to stay out of groups if the group catches up with them? A group caught up with me today on a two-lane road and wouldn't pass although the lead rider kept buzzing up to me and then backing off. I moved to the right side of the lane and slowed down some and they still wouldn't go around. When I turned off further down the road, they roared by, seemingly agitated. Did I bust some rule of biker common courtesy or were these guys just being dicks?

• Like 1

Dicks deluxe. Ya cain't fix stoopid.

What'd they expect, you to stop completely. Fuk'em.

• Like 3

I think they usually expect the guy on the INDIAN to lead on... show 'em how to ride next time. :nod::grin:

• Like 3

Dicks deluxe. Ya cain't fix stoopid.

What'd they expect, you to stop completely. Fuk'em.

YOU'RE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT. HARLEY DICKS AND HALF WITS.

• Like 1

Dicks.

You moved to the right to give them room to pass, they didn't.

Fuck'em

• Like 2

Haha....OK. Since I hadn't ridden in years, I just wanted to make sure I didn't violate some unwritten rule I may have missed in my absence. Next time I'll just run blockade. :outdoor::grin:

nope...allow them to pass and if they dont that is their own beef...you did right. fuckem.

• Like 1

Another vote for dicks, but you could have waved them past giving them "permission" to pass. That might have solved the problem.

Furthermore, if I encounter a group or even another solo rider, I do not ride near them, I maintain plenty of distance. I wouldn't know if they have 30 years or 30 days of experience, so its just not safe. In addition I just think its rude to assume that someone else I don't know would even want me near them for the same reasons.

Yeah, that's one thing I thought about doing but didn't.....actually wave them around. I figured by looking over my shoulder, pulling to the right and slowing down they may have gotten the hint, but evidently not. Next time, I'll make it easy for them by waving them on.

The assumption here as that anyone on a bike.. to include a group .. has a clue what they are doing. I've seen many folks .. HD .. Indian... Jap bikes.. that are clueless as to what riding etiquette is , much less being able to handle a bike in a group. You're giving people way too much credit.

And... then when they do have a clue, you have a mixing of dicks, assholes, etc. You can' win.. .lol

And... then when they do have a clue, you have a mixing of dicks, assholes, etc. You can' win.. .lol

Are you talking about folks riding the San Francisco?

• Like 2

The assumption here as that anyone on a bike.. to include a group .. has a clue what they are doing. I've seen many folks .. HD .. Indian... Jap bikes.. that are clueless as to what riding etiquette is , much less being able to handle a bike in a group. You're giving people way too much credit.

Yeah, I suppose you're right. I just want to make sure at least I'm doing the right thing in the future.

Ya, my first "group" ride at my first IRIP resembled this post.

• Like 2

That's why my recommendation at my last attendance was for all rides to have a riders meeting, hand out strip maps, designate road guards, and go over road rules and hand and arm signals. Sounds elementary but jeesh, it's amazing how many times everyone manages to run lights w/o guards or even run staggered through curvy roads. Drives me guano crazy as they say.

• Like 1

That's why my recommendation at my last attendance was for all rides to have a riders meeting, hand out strip maps, designate road guards, and go over road rules and hand and arm signals. Sounds elementary but jeesh, it's amazing how many times everyone manages to run lights w/o guards or even run staggered through curvy roads. Drives me guano crazy as they say.

Yeah, it gets pretty hairy sometimes.

I remember a few years ago at IRIP, some guy wasn't paying attention and ran his bike right into the tailpipe of the bike in front of him.

:o

Luckily the lovely girl that got run into nor the rider that did the running into her were hurt.

I think the only casualty was a flat tire and a broken fingernail. :P

• Like 7

Yeah, that's one thing I thought about doing but didn't.....actually wave them around. I figured by looking over my shoulder, pulling to the right and slowing down they may have gotten the hint, but evidently not. Next time, I'll make it easy for them by waving them on.

I personally would be hesitate to pass anyone unless I was absolutely sure that they are allowing me to pass. So assuming worst case idiocy, is that guy riding to right because he is retard or letting me pass? I try not assume what is in someone else's head. So they may have been dicks, or they may have been cautious. Likely some of both.

I personally would be hesitate to pass anyone unless I was absolutely sure that they are allowing me to pass. So assuming worst case idiocy, is that guy riding to right because he is retard or letting me pass? I try not assume what is in someone else's head. So they may have been dicks, or they may have been cautious. Likely some of both.

Yep, even if a guy is moved over to the right you should still change lanes to pass him. Some folks like to hug the curb some the centre line. I hate dicks that pass beside me when I'm not riding with them it freaks one out to have someone pass so close that I didn't know was there.

Al

Yep, even if a guy is moved over to the right you should still change lanes to pass him. Some folks like to hug the curb some the centre line. I hate dicks that pass beside me when I'm not riding with them it freaks one out to have someone pass so close that I didn't know was there.

Al

A Cop bike did that to me a few weeks ago. Flew past me in my lane, up to where my Wife was riding, and motioned for her to slow down (she tends to go fast). I didn't even hear the Cop bike coming up on me.

A Cop bike did that to me a few weeks ago. Flew past me in my lane, up to where my Wife was riding, and motioned for her to slow down (she tends to go fast). I didn't even hear the Cop bike coming up on me.

That's fucked up. If he did that past some newbie he could get spooked and crash.

Al

• Like 2

That's fucked up. If he did that past some newbie he could get spooked and crash.

Al

Al, in the US we get to carry "lil frern's" to assist in such situations. I guess you could throw icicles or Molson's bottles at them. You should go to "The Tail of the Dragon" riding that thing on the weekends is like a scene straight out of Mad Max. I seldom ride with other people except my regular crew. I can fuck up good enough on my own.

• Like 5

When we're out on the open road in a small group and bikes come up on us .... with traffic coming the other way, we'll slide to the right and let 'em slide by. Otherwise, they can grab the passing lane. Me personally, that's what I like folks to do for me. And if the passing lane is open and I'm coming up on a group, gives me justification for grabbing a lil' extra throttle ... all part of the ride / fun

Edited by RickkciR

Hey Charlie, was that one of Kugler's "Last Man Standing" rides? :babyhaha::babyhaha::babyhaha::babyhaha:

• Like 1

If I had been leading that pack and didn't get a hand gesture to pass from you, I wouldn't lead the group around you. Your variations in speed and in lane position, in my eyes, wouldn't tell me that you were making way for us to pass. I've seen plenty of lousy riders do the same thing riding alone and I wouldn't try to pass them with a group depending on me to make a safe call. Also, if you were on a double yellow striped road, where passing isn't allowed, your drops in speed would seem to be poor riding, and not a proper attempt to let them by.

Not saying they weren't being impatient or that you were in the wrong, just saying that in my experience, the communication wasn't clear.

• Like 4

If I had been leading that pack and didn't get a hand gesture to pass from you, I wouldn't lead the group around you. Your variations in speed and in lane position, in my eyes, wouldn't tell me that you were making way for us to pass. I've seen plenty of lousy riders do the same thing riding alone and I wouldn't try to pass them with a group depending on me to make a safe call. Also, if you were on a double yellow striped road, where passing isn't allowed, your drops in speed would seem to be poor pull overriding, and not a proper attempt to let them by.

Not saying they weren't being impatient or that you were in the wrong, just saying that in my experience, the communication wasn't clear.

I've got 53 + years of riding experience and the common acceptance among the 'old guys' I've ridden with for many, many years is simply this.....ride as you NORMALLY would,if the group, or single rider, is in a great hurry to pass,that's on him/them,if it becomes a problem for you, then and only then, do you make an attempt to accomodate....common sense always seems to work best ( unless the previously mentioned DICKHEADS are involved ) in most riding situations.

• Like 1