Indian Motorcycle Community

Quick Question Per Springfield Pinstripes

Next winter I'm planning on having my Chief repainted. I just want it back to its old self, black, but it has Springfield pinstripes on it. Question is, were these hand painted stripes, or were they decals? If they're decals, can they still be found? If not, I'll have to find a competent shop to re-do them. What is the color code if they ARE hand painted?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, got the answer to my own question last night when I was talking to Guy (Indian Moto parts). He told me that they aren't decals, and they are put on in the 2 layer paint process. Gold painted first with the black(in my case), painted second over that. I guess the stripes were masked, then removed, then clear coated. I think I'll not repaint next year and just live with the scratches and dings.

You could always replace the painted stripes with vinyl pinstriping and clear coat over it.....unless you're really set on doing it exactly the same as factory specifications.

Yeah, that's what I told Guy last night. I told him I'd have to find a paint shop that was REALLY artistic that has someone who is able to free hand pin striping and have them copy it back as the original. I don't know. I've gotten some matching black touch up and hit the visible spots, but the PO backed it up and put a pretty good gash in the paint just above the exhaust tips that goes across the stripe. That's next winter, so I've got some time to mull it over. Kind of hate messing with the original, though. I do have bags back there, but even at it's low miles (about 8,000), it's gotten some scratches over time. But, like everything else, I think the owner sees every flaw a hell of a lot more than anybody else. Especially if everybody else would love to have the bike, but can't have it. :)

Edited by lvbutcher