Indian Motorcycle Community

Surviving the heat

This last week the temps got into the mid 90s here in Seattle.  Normally, we have pretty mild weather - and I was worried about riding in city traffic when the heat is that high.  Once we get to ferry, we have a wait for the boat and then a 35 minute ride so The Iron Beast has plenty of time to cool off.  Any advice from those of you who ride in hot weather all the time?  Is synthetic oil the answer?  Any tips?

Thanks -

BW

90? Hell, that's just starting to warm up.

Riverside, CA

Mon Jul 26  Sunny 99°/66°  

Tue Jul 27  Mostly Sunny 99°/63°  

Wed Jul 28  Mostly Sunny 92°/61°  

Thu Jul 29  Sunny 90°/60°  

Fri Jul 30  Sunny 90°/61°  

Sat Jul 31  Mostly Sunny 91°/62°  

Sun Aug 01  Mostly Sunny 93°/63°  

Mon Aug 02  Sunny 94°/64°  

Tue Aug 03  Sunny 94°/63°

I could go for some of that hot weather! Its 63 here on the central coast of California, marine layers like a shaggy carpet , by 130 it will be sunny , about 73 degrees,! Of course its like that everyday of the year!

90? Hell, that's just starting to warm up.

Riverside, CA

Mon Jul 26  Sunny 99°/66°  

Tue Jul 27  Mostly Sunny 99°/63°  

Wed Jul 28  Mostly Sunny 92°/61°  

Thu Jul 29  Sunny 90°/60°  

Fri Jul 30  Sunny 90°/61°  

Sat Jul 31  Mostly Sunny 91°/62°  

Sun Aug 01  Mostly Sunny 93°/63°  

Mon Aug 02  Sunny 94°/64°  

Tue Aug 03  Sunny 94°/63°

Shit, Lunch Box, it was 107 in Elsinore yesterday! It is now starting to warm up! :rasp:

If you don't like the weather come to Chicago!!

Wait 15 minutes....................

And it will change!!

ya, from 100 degrees, humid, and cloudy, to 100 degrees, humid, and pouring rain with a black sky.

And it will change!!

ya, from 100 degrees, humid, and cloudy, to 100 degrees, humid, and pouring rain with a black sky.

The good part about where we (me and RCH) live is it is a "dry heat".  Gotta love it. Some of the best riding you can do is on a summer night when its in the 90's. It is perfect!! :moped:

And it will change!!

The good part about where we (me and RCH) live is it is a "dry heat".  Gotta love it. Some of the best riding you can do is on a summer night when its in the 90's. It is perfect!! :moped:

Amen to that brother, Amen to that. :bthumb:

And it will change!!

Not down here.

Down here, it's a wet heat...and NOT in a good way. Mississippi in July and August is like being boiled alive.

100+ degree heat, and 100% humidity.

:shocked:  :devil:

This last week the temps got into the mid 90s here in Seattle.  Normally, we have pretty mild weather - and I was worried about riding in city traffic when the heat is that high.  Once we get to ferry, we have a wait for the boat and then a 35 minute ride so The Iron Beast has plenty of time to cool off.  Any advice from those of you who ride in hot weather all the time?  Is synthetic oil the answer?  Any tips?

Thanks -

BW

Did you notice we all started talking about how hot it was, and nobody answered Bob's question??? This has to be a record! A dozen posts and NONE of you brainy mechanical type guys had an opinion on something technical???

:bsplit:

I think I may faint!!! I have to go lay down!!!

:rotfl:

OK, for the answer, don't worry about it. It isn't too hot for your bike. Remember, the difference in cooling an engine that is hitting 600 degrees or more and having a cooling temperature of 70 degrees or a cooling temperature of 100 degrees is almost nothing.

600 - 100 = 500 degree delta

600 - 70 = 530 degree delta

You are still getting a good amount of cooling action if you are moving air past the cooling fins.

Here's what I've learned about my ride thru Las Vegas (114 F)

no oil pressure at idle.

knocks under hard acceleration in high gear.

need: oil cooler, high flow oil pump and take it easy on the throttle when it knocks.

If you're really concerned about your engine, buy the oil temp/press gauges.

Here's what I've learned about my ride thru Las Vegas (114 F)

no oil pressure at idle.

knocks under hard acceleration in high gear.

need: oil cooler, high flow oil pump and take it easy on the throttle when it knocks.

If you're really concerned about your engine, buy the oil temp/press gauges.

This eMonitor would be a great addition too.

I do not have it yet but have only heard great things about it.

hot? come visit me and N.O. Chief in Nawlins or Baton Rouge in August...just gotta keep moving.  The bike will do fine, but the body hates the heat.  That's why I ride nude :P ...cops ain't brave enough to stop you either.

eric

shut it down for a long red light, otherwise don't worry too much about it @ 90.  

Oil coolers are always nice.

Here in GA, we got 90+ and the 01 Chief usually runs 180-190.

no oil cooler, no synthetic oil ( except in tranny )

Archived