Indian Motorcycle Community

Chevy Volt--Car Of The Future

Subject: FW: COST OF RUNNING A CHEVY VOLT ---- car related info

A good analysis of a Volt. A first year engineering student could have figured this out in about an hour and told them that the Volt as a loser – don’t build it. GM has demonstrated some real ignorance.

WE BE SAVING MONEY!

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." Plato

‘- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Cost to operate a Chevy Volt

Eric Bolling (Fox Business Channel's Follow the Money) test drove the Chevy Volt at the invitation of General Motors.

For four days in a row, the fully charged battery lasted only 25 miles before the Volt switched to the reserve gasoline engine.

Eric calculated the car got 30 mpg including the 25 miles it ran on the battery. So, the range including the 9 gallon gas tank and the 16 kwh battery is approximately 270 miles. It will take you 4 1/2 hours to drive 270 miles at 60 mph. Then add 10 hours to charge the battery and you have a total trip time of 14.5 hours. In a typical road trip your average speed (including charging time) would be 20 mph.

According to General Motors, the Volt battery hold 16 kwh of electricity. It takes a full 10 hours to charge a drained battery.

The cost for the electricity to charge the Volt is never mentioned so I looked up what I pay for electricity.

I pay approximately (it varies with amount used and the seasons) $1.16 per kwh.

16 kwh x $1.16 per kwh = $18.56 to charge the battery.

$18.56 per charge divided by 25 miles = $0.74 per mile to operate the Volt using the battery.

Compare this to a similar size car with a gasoline engine only that gets 32 mpg.

$3.19 per gallon divided by 32 mpg = $0.10 per mile.

(note 32miles at $0.75 per mile equates to $23.68/gal. You can be assured the suppliers of gasoline can calculate this too. I can guess where the price-per-gal of gas is going as more of these battery cars are forced upon us by “regulation” via EPA, et al.)

The gasoline powered car initially cost about $15,000 while the Volt costs $46,000.

So Obama wants us to pay 3 times as much for a car that costs more than 7 times as much to run and takes 3 times as long to drive across country.

REALLY? :fucktard:

I'll stick with big ol American made pick up truck and my Indian

And lest we forget that Uncle Obama's administration SUBSIDIZES $250,000 per car.......yes, they cost over a quarter million dollars to build each of them!!!, and they have ALL been recalled. If you are really pissed......you can return your Volt for a full refund. A GM exec near me had his mini mansion on Lake Norma burn to the ground because of his Volt

Edited by Bomber Rydr

And lest we forget that Uncle Obama's administration SUBSIDIZES $250,000 per car.......yes, they cost over a quarter million dollars to build each of them!!!, and they have ALL been recalled. If you are really pissed......you can return your Volt for a full refund. A GM exec near me had his mini mansion on Lake Norma burn to the ground because of his Volt

That's obamanomics, for ya.

Not to worry, the Dumbass says that we're gonna solve the fuel problem by using algae.

Moss Motors, comin' right up.

Geesh! DO NOT FORGET TO VOTE!!!!

Subject: FW: COST OF RUNNING A CHEVY VOLT ---- car related info

A good analysis of a Volt. A first year engineering student could have figured this out in about an hour and told them that the Volt as a loser – don’t build it. GM has demonstrated some real ignorance.

WE BE SAVING MONEY!

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." Plato

‘- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Cost to operate a Chevy Volt

Eric Bolling (Fox Business Channel's Follow the Money) test drove the Chevy Volt at the invitation of General Motors.

For four days in a row, the fully charged battery lasted only 25 miles before the Volt switched to the reserve gasoline engine.

Eric calculated the car got 30 mpg including the 25 miles it ran on the battery. So, the range including the 9 gallon gas tank and the 16 kwh battery is approximately 270 miles. It will take you 4 1/2 hours to drive 270 miles at 60 mph. Then add 10 hours to charge the battery and you have a total trip time of 14.5 hours. In a typical road trip your average speed (including charging time) would be 20 mph.

According to General Motors, the Volt battery hold 16 kwh of electricity. It takes a full 10 hours to charge a drained battery.

The cost for the electricity to charge the Volt is never mentioned so I looked up what I pay for electricity.

I pay approximately (it varies with amount used and the seasons) $1.16 per kwh.

16 kwh x $1.16 per kwh = $18.56 to charge the battery.

$18.56 per charge divided by 25 miles = $0.74 per mile to operate the Volt using the battery.

Compare this to a similar size car with a gasoline engine only that gets 32 mpg.

$3.19 per gallon divided by 32 mpg = $0.10 per mile.

(note 32miles at $0.75 per mile equates to $23.68/gal. You can be assured the suppliers of gasoline can calculate this too. I can guess where the price-per-gal of gas is going as more of these battery cars are forced upon us by “regulation” via EPA, et al.)

The gasoline powered car initially cost about $15,000 while the Volt costs $46,000.

So Obama wants us to pay 3 times as much for a car that costs more than 7 times as much to run and takes 3 times as long to drive across country.

REALLY? :fucktard:

I'll stick with big ol American made pick up truck and my Indian

Racist,,,,, <_<

Where is gas 3.19 per gallon? Fuck electric cars, they are for pussy's and jap bike riders.

Can we preorder the Moss cars? I bet they will be iconic.

Danny said that GM has introduced a new "Obama Edition" Chevy Volt...

It's the same as the regular Volt, except the driver's seat blows smoke up yer ass....:Beer-Chug[1]:

The truly frightening thing is that I believe Obama will very likely get re-elected.

Why?

1. He controls the main stream media. The only conservative alternative is on cable, and a lot of people don't have cable, therefore they are being force fed Liberal propaganda and taking it as news (the truth).
  2. Nearly 50% of the population pay no taxes and believe they are getting short changed by those evil rich people that are denigrated every day via every channel of media they have available to them.
  3. Many (I don't have the percentage) people are on some kind of government run subsidy, they will vote so keep that subsidy going and possibly increase it.
  4. 98% of the African American vote went for Obama. Any group of people who base their decision based on race are by definition racist, but no one points this out.
  5. White guilt is taught in schools these days, many non African Americans will vote for Obama because he is black and they feel guilty. Again this is racist, but no one points that out either.
  6. Those that want to promote illegal immigration will vote for Obama because of his stance in this area. A country that does not enforce its sovereignty quickly ceases to exist.
  7. Liberals lie. The Liberal controlled networks promote these lies, and they are rarely refuted. Those that are refuted are done so essentially on the back page. Notice that the accusations against Herman Cain stopped as soon as he got out of the race.
  8. Many people make their decisions based on sound bites and sensationalized headlines.
  9. Liberals are fighting like street fighters (dirty) whereas Conservatives continue to play by Marques of Queensbury rules.

I didn't do any fact checking past what this moron says he pays for electricity, but if the rest of his propaganda is as far off, the whole article is bullschitt.

I pay $.0687 per KWH. I would be willing to bet that his is no more than double that. Here at my house it would cost $1.09 for 16 hours of charging. The goob also states it just takes 10 hours of charging. He's manipulating the numbers to make it worse.

Some of the rest may be more accurate, but just measuring the tone of the writing, I doubt it. Being it's a Faux News report, why am I surprised

P.S. Strike two: Chevy Volt MSRP $39,145.

Okay, that's still too much, but that's not my point.

Edited by Vintage62

A couple months ago my son in-law and I had this same discussion about the cost of operating this very car. He is an electrician and this subject came up at a class he was taking regarding connecting the charging units at retail stores and the like, I got online and researched the cost of replacement batteries and discovered as of two months ago it was $8,000 before taxes. The good thing is it didn't look like they were charging for disposing the old batteries. In the end it sounds like a pretty expensive vehicle to operate to me.

A couple months ago my son in-law and I had this same discussion about the cost of operating this very car. He is an electrician and this subject came up at a class he was taking regarding connecting the charging units at retail stores and the like, I got online and researched the cost of replacement batteries and discovered as of two months ago it was $8,000 before taxes. The good thing is it didn't look like they were charging for disposing the old batteries. In the end it sounds like a pretty expensive vehicle to operate to me.

Yep, they don't tell ya about the battery replacement deal in the advertising.

This is a summary of the study done at a university. It's not "faux" news as was stated earlier.........I guess Fox news isn't real because it talks about things NBC, CBS, and ABC won't say, or anything that doesn't reflect kindly on Obama.....

Each Chevy Volt sold thus far may have as much as $250,000 in state and federal dollars in incentives behind it – a total of $3 billion altogether, according to an analysis by James Hohman, assistant director of fiscal policy at the Mackinac Center for Public Policy.

Hohman looked at total state and federal assistance offered for the development and production of the Chevy Volt, General Motors’ plug-in hybrid electric vehicle. His analysis included 18 government deals that included loans, rebates, grants and tax credits. The amount of government assistance does not include the fact that General Motors is currently 26 percent owned by the federal government. …

GM has estimated they’ve sold 6,000 Volts so far. That would mean each of the 6,000 Volts sold would be subsidized between $50,000 and $250,000, depending on how many government subsidy milestones are realized.

If battery manufacturers awarded incentives to produce batteries the Volt may use are included in the analysis, the potential government subsidy per Volt increases to $256,824. For example, A123 Systems has received extensive state and federal support, and bid to be a supplier to the Volt, but the deal instead went to Compact Power. The $256,824 figure includes adding up the subsidies to both companies.

The $3 billion total subsidy figure includes $690.4 million offered by the state of Michigan and $2.3 billion in federal money. That’s enough to purchase 75,222 Volts with a sticker price of $39,828.

I will assume forsaking any arguments that all of your info is correct.

The original article is still contains misinformation.

Danny said that GM has introduced a new "Obama Edition" Chevy Volt...

It's the same as the regular Volt, except the driver's seat blows smoke up yer ass....:Beer-Chug[1]:

:babyhaha::babyhaha::babyhaha::Funny-Post:

He's definitely a 2-faced SOB.

Of some consideration regarding this zero emission vehicle might be HOW the energy used to recharge it is produced.

Where I live, that would be a coal fired power plant. That fact kind of removes a lot of thr luster from this so called clean energy vehicle.

Of some consideration regarding this zero emission vehicle might be HOW the energy used to recharge it is produced.

Where I live, that would be a coal fired power plant. That fact kind of removes a lot of thr luster from this so called clean energy vehicle.

Funny, since Obabla stated in his campaigning that he would be making it so expensive and difficult to use coal in our country that these coal power plants would go out of business, guess that's where the algae thing comes from, talk about goobs ! :Rulz[1]:

The truly frightening thing is that I believe Obama will very likely get re-elected.

Why?

Liberals lie. The Liberal controlled networks promote these lies, and they are rarely refuted. Those that are refuted are done so essentially on the back page. Notice that the accusations against Herman Cain stopped as soon as he got out of the race.

Do you really believe conservatives don't lie? If you do believe that, I've got a coupla bridges for sale cheap. Dubya, Cheney, and Rove are three of the largest prevaricators to ever set foot in the White House.

Are you that naive? The reason the accusations against Cain stopped is because the lyin', cheatin' SOB quit trying to get elected president. It didn't matter anymore who he was fukkin' over.

I thought the political section was removed, have I missed something?? You guys need to be careful or you'll get the entire forum shut down. Jus sayin'.

I thought the political section was removed, have I missed something?? You guys need to be careful or you'll get the entire forum shut down. Jus sayin'.

I didn't start the politics. I was just pointing out the bullschitt in the article in the first post.

I didn't start the politics. I was just pointing out the bullschitt in the article in the first post.

Seems like people only get ruffled if you don't talk bad about Obama. I'm not sure the Republican candidates are going to have enough time to campaign against Obama by the time they get done slamming each other. Feet-Up[1].gif

It didn't matter anymore who he was fukkin' over.

:Funny-Post:

lol

well...

not to the general public anyway

personally

i'm an equal opportunity hater

checked the national debt clock lately???

we got there with a TWO party system

might wanna have a chat and apologize to your kids...

:Feet-Up[1]:

I thought there was a politics section for most of what I've just read . . .

Having said that - and to return to the costs of operating electric cars - the State of Washington has figured out that all-electric cars (i.e. the Tesla - and if you're looking for an all-electric car with some balls that goes from 0 to 60 in under 4 seconds and goes 245 miles on a charge, check them out at http://www.teslamotors.com) aren't subject to Washington's high gas tax (regular is $4.00/gallon on the island), and so they are applying an additional tax on them to make up for the loss in gasoline tax revenue.

There's a guy who takes the ferry and has a Tesla Roadster . . . it's scarey. It looks like it should sound like a Formula One car, and the sucker just sneaks up silently behind you. Granted - it costs six figures, but damn - what a sexy looking ride. I just can't get over the 295 lbs-ft torque at 300 hp and 0 to 60 mph in 3.7 seconds.

Edited by TallRider