Indian Motorcycle Community

Marlon brando dead at 80

Marlon Brando, Star of `The Godfather,' `Waterfront,' Dies

July 2 (Bloomberg)

-- Marlon Brando, called by many the greatest actor of all time and best known for his roles in ``On the Waterfront'' and ``The Godfather,'' has died. He was 80.

Brando died yesterday in Los Angeles, KPHO-TV reported. The cause of death wasn't immediately known. KPHO-TV is a CBS affiliate in Phoenix.

Brando earned best actor Oscars for his performances as the ex-fighter in ``On The Waterfront'' (1954) and as mafia boss Don Vito Corleone in ``The Godfather'' (1972). Brando refused the second Oscar in protest of the federal government's treatment of American Indians.

He sent Sacheen Littlefeather to the awards ceremony to give his refusal speech, and she was booed off the stage.

He was born in Nebraska in 1924 and made his Broadway debut in ``I Remember Mama.'' Brando's big break came in his role as Stanley Kowalski in Tennessee Williams's ``A Streetcar Named Desire'' in 1947. He also starred in the film version in 1951.

" I COULDA BEEN A CONTENDER ! "                  Truly one of the greatest actors of our time...Apocalypse Now, Wild Ones, Waterfront -  didn't need to speak a line to have his presence felt.

I remember seeing On the Waterfront as a kiddie and was blown away by it. There have been recent reports that not only was he bankrupt but that he had been living in near poverty and owed a lot of back child support......but that he had some roles to perform in the near future that probably would've gotten him out of the hole. He'll be missed.

Guess Burt Reynolds won't be doing his impersonation of him for a while.

-ANT

Rest in Peace, big guy.

As corny as it was, I love the Wild One for what it sparked in the youth of America. Johnny was classic; and I use my avatar in remembrance...

I think I'll finish watching Streetcar this weekend; I originally couldn't get past the first 15 minutes because they actually ACT in it

"What are you rebelling against?"

"Whadda ya got?"

RIP.

Truly one of the all-time great actors. Pity he allowed his politics to interfere with that gift. I can't help but wonder what kind of body of work he would have left behind had he stuck to acting. It seems like every time an actor/actress gets too involved in politics, their acting goes down to nothing. For some, that's probably a good thing. For the great ones like Brando, it's just sad.

I'm to young to remember the slick Brando of the 50s and 60s.  I only knew him as that "wierd fat guy" from Apocalypse Now and The Godfather.  The grim reaper get us all sooner or later though and at age 80 he finally got "an offer he couldn't refuse!"

Archived