Indian Motorcycle Community

just wanted to let everyone know, I ordered the IMC Chrome Caliper Covers from J&P Cycles back on June 17, the website said they were in stock and would ship in 7 to 10 days. I then recieved a confirmation e-mail saying the same thing. Well, since it's been 2 weeks and I haven't heard anything I figured I'd check it out. I looked up my order status and it said order closed, which I assumed meant they had run out of stock, but while they hadn't charged me for the item, they had charged me for the shipping and handling on an order that had been neither shipped nor handled. I called Customer Service and they said they would credit my account, but I did not and was not going to recieve any notification that the order was closed. I asked why I recieved an order confirmation (on a part that was out of stock, specifically stating it was in stock) but no confirmation of the order closing and was told "Oh, it must be a glitch in the system".So hmmmmmm, I wonder if maybe FOC may have gotten new employment in exchange for a good price on the parts, sure sounds like a FOC'ed operation to me!

I get an web page error trying to get to their site. I too have a confirmation, and it has been about 8 days now since I ordered...WTF....anyone know them, and want to call them to get it all straightened out?

They gotsa tollfree# staffed by real humans not all are knowledgable not all are overpaid either but ya could get lucky 800-397-4844. Can call 24/7...:::>>

Yep, you really HAVE to phone them to verify if something is actually in stock......the info on their site is only as current as the last time it was updated (once a week?).

When I saw the price on those caliper covers I was going to buy them all, called up only to discover they were all gone already.

-ANT

I'm so pissed I can't see straight.

J&P are returning my rocker box's because they said their ad said that engine was an Evo engine therefore they have to be the right box's. I can't convince them to just lay them on a PP92 head & they would see the difference.

Crap...Now I have to buy the box's from S&S & try to get my money back.

They should stick to growing corn because they sure don't know squat about bikes.

FC, that sucks worse than Monica L. Have you spoken with anyone other than their phone sex operators? Obviously you need to get to a higher up. I would mention that their listing versus what they're telling you constitutes fraud, switch and bait, and breach of contract (to deliver what was promised).

You may also wish to mention that you're part of the larger Indian community and that your experience with them (JP) is being relayed to us all and that they should weigh that as well.

-ANT

PS Another thought, at least (try) to get the proper rocker box part number from S&S and then tell JP that.....obviously it will be a different number. I don't recall seeing that they refer to that engine as an Evo so I think they're blowing yet more smoke up vertically into your nether region. If all else fails, perhaps S&S will take your wrong rocker boxes as a partial payment for the the ones you need(?)

I talked to the head tech idiot. I already gave them the part numbers & they said "we'll make that determination" whatever the hell that means. These bastards are talking down to me like I'm a total moron & I'm not total, half maybe but not total.

They said their ad says it's an Evo engine so I'm wrong. I can't believe anyone would actually say something like that.

Believe me I'm not done with them by a long shot.

For some reason, I keep hearing Bugs Bunny saying "You realize, *this* means war!"

Gonna go cook some popcorn and get comfy, this oughta be fun. Go get em tiger.

-ANT

I ordered bags - Two Chief headlight assemblies ( @ $99 !! ) - XXL rain suit - And my teardrop driving/signal combos.

Received all orders without a hiccup.

I think there must be people visiting the brick-n-mortar store with trucks - And buying up loads of parts.

But I also refuse to order online - Only thru an operator to verify the parts are in stock.

Thanks, Danny

Charlie I'm thinking that when JP bought all that stuff from Gilroy, they messed up the rocker boxes. Meanins somewhere the right boxes are sitting somewhere. The ones you got were the replacement boxes for the 3 piece boxes that were leaking and being exchanged out! It was madness at Gilroy and no one could find anything without looking yourself. One fellow bought a return pp motor and ended up getting loaded with a new ppmotor! They barely caught that mistake. Call Don in Gilroy shop and swap boxes   with him. Ant would this work? Don has all the right stuff stashed away. I feel bad for you Charlie. Give em hell. :banghead:

4 years ago - first ever order with JP oil and filter for '99 Chief - sent right oil but with the long and wrong Dyna filter - cheaper to keeper than to send it back - still own that mistake new in the box...ordered over the phone. JP phone techs mostly overpaid with little tech expertise even with their own part # and application guides. Can usually find better value deals at Dennis Kirk, Jireh and Fog Hollow...butthead.jpg  Charlie this is the tech that you should not be dealing with here. Make sure his or her voice is unmuffled over the phone when talk'n with the supervisor - parts manager!

I ordered bags - Two Chief headlight assemblies ( @ $99 !! ) - XXL rain suit - And my teardrop driving/signal combos.

Received all orders without a hiccup.

I think there must be people visiting the brick-n-mortar store with trucks - And buying up loads of parts.

But I also refuse to order online - Only thru an operator to verify the parts are in stock.

Thanks, Danny

I ordered one of them thar Headlight assemblies, got it in good time too. But, what I thought was strange is that they sent the top fork cover, that little spear shaped piece on top of the nacell, and of course the headlight asslembly with the trim ring. I can't figure out how they put this package together without the nacell. I know that would of been a great deal, just seems like somethings missing. :shocked:

Charlie I'm thinking that when JP bought all that stuff from Gilroy, they messed up the rocker boxes. Meanins somewhere the right boxes are sitting somewhere. The ones you got were the replacement boxes for the 3 piece boxes that were leaking and being exchanged out! It was madness at Gilroy and no one could find anything without looking yourself. One fellow bought a return pp motor and ended up getting loaded with a new ppmotor! They barely caught that mistake. Call Don in Gilroy shop and swap boxes   with him. Ant would this work? Don has all the right stuff stashed away. I feel bad for you Charlie. Give em hell. :banghead:

You're 1,000,000% correct that the factory was an unmitigated cluster fuck of a mess. Everything was everywhere and it got to the point that the worker bees were sending buyers over to me to help them find stuff (as I spent so much friggin time there).......yep, all sorts of stuff walked out of there, not by me but half of it by Melvin's trusted henchmen....but that's another story.

JP apparently has the same mess on their hands and has woefully few people warehousing this stuff and obviously no one who really knows what it all is. Ferinstance, they list some turn signal lights which they show to fit front AND rear.....WRONG.....they're only for the rear, and the kicker is that they appear to be 2004 lights!! Stupid fuckers don't know what they have!!!!

Even with a friend's DSL connection and fast computer, it takes me a solid 20 minutes to check out their inventory due to the SHIT design of their website. What a disaster.

As for Don trading something, that's the best laugh of the week! It would probably go down like this......send him the rockers and about $900 and then he MIGHT be interested. Apply the KY liberally.

-ANT

This isn't going to be as much fun as I thought it would.

In my last communication with J&P I gave them 3 suggestions to confer which head was used.

1, Call S&S to confer which head was used.

2, Actually place an Evo box gasket on the PP92 head.

3, Stick to growing corn because J&P knows nothing about bikes.

In their reply they said they followed the first 2 suggestions but ignored the 3rd & found me to be correct. J&P appoligizes & will send the correct box's post haste. They now also realize thay have 14 incorrect engine sets in their possession.

There was another head used.....the little one if you drift my get. Glad you slapped some sense into them. Hopefully they won't fuck over the next purchaser of these engines in the future.

-ANT

Have to say that FC had me worried. I calle dyesterday to inquire about my order (which showed closed) they said it was supposed to be delivered today...low and behold, it waqs on front porch when I got home...problem is that the dash isn't the bright red that came on the 2000 Chiefs, but more of the maroon on the springfields....oh well, at least I got the damn thing...held it up next to bike, and looks like it will fit ok....hopefully....

Hopefully they won't fuck over the next purchaser of these engines in the future.

-ANT

Would that be opposed to the next purchaser in the past?

Am not sure, the Dilitium Crystals in my Flux Capacitor need replacing so my time machine is offline at the moment.

-ANT

Being from Iowa myself, I am sensitive to the "stick to growing corn" statement but I do agree with the part about J&P being somewhat difficult. I purchased one of their "Vintage Chief frame & sheet metal kits" and it arrived in good condition in a couple of days. Inspection of the received components revealed that they sent me a used 2002 swing arm complete with a warranty tag attached indicating the date & mileage of when it was replaced. I called and informed them of this and was told that there was no return or warranty on Indian parts but I protested and told the customer service person about the NHTSA recall. She asked for documentation of this which I provided from the NHTSA web site and asked for another swing arm or a refund. After some conversations back and forth, they replaced it. I have purchased several things from them on line since then and have not really had any problems, however, at first my orders over $300 came freight free but that went away after the first two or three times. Last Saturday they had their annual open house with several of the big vendors in attendance with their display trucks; S&S, Custom Chrome, Corbin and Drag Specialties to name a few. There was also free food and entertainment but the main reason that I went was to shop for more Indian parts. They had this stuff in the rear of their warehouse behind the "scratch and dent" Harley stuff. The guys that work with the Indian items are nice enough and have forgotten more about Harley parts than I will ever know (or want too) but these folks are WAY over their heads with Indian. This stuff seems to be a giant pain in the ass for them and I'm quite sure they would gladly sell it all for dime if it were up to them. The only thing there that wasn't on their web site was a pallet each of dead Power Plus and S&S engines. I was lucky right off the bat when I spied a 2-up Corbin seat for a Chief in the pile marked as Scout seats. One of the guys told me that I was wrong so I turned the seat over and showed them the letters inscribed on the bottom: C H I E F. We visited for awhile and found out that they have more inventory to sort through but none of these guys had a clue as to what any of it is, but they were 100% sure there were no gas tank caps. I inquired about fasteners and other small parts and was informed that everything Indian used was the same as a Harley...WRONG! It is quite obvious that J&P is in this for a quick buck (like so many others) and has no real regard for Indian motorcycles or their owners. The parts prices go up as their supply goes down and they do not always honor the prices of items advertised in their mailings. I always had a lot of respect for them and the business that they have built but my respect and trust is pretty much gone at this point.

Archived