Indian Motorcycle Community

Pop goes to springfield

I spent today at the Indian auction in Springfield, MA.

More on the auction later, but for now, first the scuttlebutt, no basis in truth, followed by the gist of a conversation that I got into with a guy that is part of the Ramp team.

So, now the rumor on the right coast. FoMoCo. No shit. Doesn't that complete the potential buyers on the Fortune 500 list? Came at me from different directions, but still, if Ford has a better idea, I'll believe it after the end of the month.

And now for something completely different.

The more reasonable dialogue concerned the status of the upcoming IP auction. If  this guy is any indication, the folks at Ramp are guardedly hopeful . I know, I know, that and a buck twenty will get ya a small at Dunks ( or for you Cali's that and 4.85 will get ya a Jamaica Blue Mountain double espresso with a twist at Starbucks). Still, nice to talk with a levelheaded guy who is in the game and sees positive movement.

He noted that some suppliers have written last years losses off. At least there are some making noises about being willing to resume production.

Incedentally, Ramp, though promoting the other lines, continues to buy up Indians at auction and whatnot, to satisfy an ongoing demand. I like that.

The auction was great for bike purchasers, lousy as fukall for parts buyers.

Y'all that own them can take my word for this, you don't want to know what those scooters sold for. If yer a masochist, PM me and I'll break yer heart. Let's put it this way, I'm fairly comfortable holding onto my Vintage expecting it to appreciate. That's pretty much a nobrainer. After what '03's were goin for on the block today, in another year and a half I'll have to pay somebody to take it. So it's gonna gain in value, that's the only direction left.

On the parts side,there was a fair assortment, but it was a feeding frenzy. Some guy dropped 2 large on a takeout PP mill and another guy is now the proud owner of a Spirit tach to the tune of 6 bens and change. I dunno if Elvis left the building but I had to go smoke an Uppman, lest I resorted to the kind of bitchslapping that my exwife and her boytoy insist is my modus operandi. True enough, but he deserves it.

Tired now. Off to beddybye. Tomorrow, a new or at least different angle  on why PP's blow head gaskets.

In the meantime will somebody enlighten me on why these three dealers that were auctioned had a pile of 15 or twenty '02 Chief swingarms and as many new ones in boxes?

Pop:

They had the swingarms because of a factory recall (maybe it was just a bulletin, I don't remember) on the '02's that replaced the swingarm, rotor, etc.  Supposedly there was a jig misalignment for the swingarm welding that was causing the rear brake to rub the rotor and wear prematurely.  I had mine done under this factory replacement.

campbell

The Ford rumour was right here several months ago as I recall , someone mentioned the fact about the "big three" gaining interest! Well that would certainly be nice !

As far as a disappointment in the sales of the bikes (low prices) , that could expected . When a small business goes under , parts become hard to find or so they say and so does service (BS) . But for the general publics sake , that means "nothing" exists anymore, which for all of us is pure nonsense!

The original Indian had the same misfortune when they went under , the last of there bikes went for cheap , but as we all know there are still a considerable number of 1st generation Indians on the road and I might add for the most part (if they are in good riding condition) , they arent cheap!

The new Indians were better built and used (minus the PP's) an engine that is well respected in the motorcycle community, so enjoy the ride , in about 5 years , you'll be hard pressed to find a Gilroy Indian for under $25,000.00 . And for all the PP100 Chiefs out there , hopefully someone will come along and figure out the minor glitches to the engines , because a PP100 Indian is gonna be considered antique value since only so many were made , prices are gonna skyrocket for those Chiefs!

Now if Ford were to get involved , as big as they are , they might even invite us all back , lets hope so!

Well a certain little insect just got back yesterday from Beantown and here's what he saw:

Chiefs selling for just over $10K up to about $19k.....a '48 that was a no sell at $15K

Parts selling for way over retail/eGay (what a bunch of imbeciles)

This writer bought 9 recall replacement swingarms in their original boxes that came complete with rotors, calipers, brackets and instructions for a very good price (paid nearly as much in postage). Not bragging, but illustrating the stupidity of most of the buyers, they paid way more than they should for common stuff and wouldn't part with their money for the oddball goodies that in reality are more valuable (at least in the sense to keeping the bikes running).

There were signs galore and even some leather furniture. I did score a choice leather jacket that actually fits me for just under $250 (this is the one with the understated embossed Indian logo on the back)

A trip to the old factory grounds was a let down, it's a sleazy apartment complex filled with undesirable types. A lower level of it is currently being used for storage of refrigerators! The offsite museum was pretty cool though....this is located in their last factory facility a couple of miles away. The lady who runs it is a "character" and has loads of knowledge, although she tends to talk *at* you, if you know what I mean. Who exactly is she? I mean, is she related to someone from the company?

-ANT

She went on a tear about the Gilroy bikes and even Hardley. She claims to know the fixes for all the problems and went on and on about some sort of prototype Indian bikes that are under wraps and would blow the doors off of all other current brands.

I couldn't get any more info out of her about them...asked her if they were a recent or an older design....nothing. She said something about "spies everywhere" There are really old video cameras throughout the museum that are laughable as it's obvious that they're there just for looks. One of them pans back and forth so quickly it appears that it's watching a phantom tennis match. No friggin way is that actually taping anything. Reason I mention this is that it's somewhat indicative of her apparent paranoia. Not putting her down, I hope I have half of her marbles if and when I reach her age.

Why they don't allow photographs is another strange thing, it's not as if they have these prototypes on display......as a matter of fact, the public viewing area is less than half of the size of the building itself, so you gotta wonder what other goodies are hiding out of view.

Did y'all know that Indian built a car at one time? There's one on display and she said that she'd located about 17 more of them. One thing that blew my mind is that they have "Mile a minute Murphy"s bike there. This was the very first bicycle to have reached 60mph, I know a bit about this as this was a PR stunt performed on the Long Island RR way back when (am a fan of the LIRR). In my library I have a old book that tells this story....not only is it autographed by the author and Murphy himself, but there are handwritten addendum notes about Murphy's late life (night watchman at an aircraft factory)..............anyway...........I mentioned all of this to her and she didn't even hear what I said. A very "interesting" visit to say the least!

-ANT

Things move from back to front to keep the display interesting for people who vist more then once.

Here's just a sampling of what's on display at this one-of-a-kind treasury:

* The world's first motorcyle made of wood, with a leather saddle and wooden wheels with metal tires;

* The first Indian Motocycle, produced in 1901 and the granddaddy of everything motorcycle everywhere;

* Dozens of Indian Scouts, Braves and Chiefs, including a 1951 Chief with sidecar that

was favored by police departments everywhere;

* The only remaining water-cooled aircraft engine, built by Indian (incidentally, the first

airmail flight in 1913 was powered by an Indian engine);

* Indian also made outboard engines and there is a particularly prime model of a 1929

Silver Arrow on display;

* The world's first snowmobile, or "snow boat," was built at the Indian plant in Springfield in 1941. They were used to train the Army's 10th Mountain Division, the unit that fought in northern Italy in World War II and where Sen. Robert Dole was wounded saving a comrade;

* A 1950 Indian Papoose, a folding motorcyle designed to be dropped by parachute to provide airborne troops quick transportation;

* The world's only 1928 Indian X4 roadster "dog" model, a handsome blue and silver

machine with a leather hood strap. The appelation "dog" refers to its power

train and not to its performance.

*One of the most impressive displays is that of an all-white 1940 Indian Junior Scout donated by Louise Scherbyn of Waterloo, N. Y., the most famous stunt rider of her time and the star of many a touring motorcycle show. A pioneer among women riders and a trick rider of the first order, she is now 94, recently broke a hip, and has retired to an upstate New York nursing home.Scherbyn also donated several of her riding costumes, petite outfits that belied her big heart. A trophy case is devoted to her accomplishments.

Where'd you find that list? I'd like to find more info on the Dog car. I specifically asked Esta about the engine and once again didn't get an answer. Older cars were often "assembled" out of common vendor supplied parts, the style of the body being the only real thing of any individuality.

A couple of other interesting bikes was a Rotary (Wankel) powered and one built in conjunction with Clymer of repair book and car review fame---yes, the same feller that owned the rights to the Indian name for awhile.

-ANT

she is close to 90 if not yet she does everything around the museum her self. she runs indian day with vary little help. and like you said dont talk about the new indians, she dont think they are real indian. july 18 is indian day at the museum its cost $5 to get in and to see the museum. i work in the old factory next to the museum if you need any info let me know.

Yep, $5 admission and worth every penny! When the admission price is reasonable it makes me more willing to buy various trinkets and whatnot---got some t-shirts, banners, bumper stickers etc. Great bang for the buck and highly recommended. This is a classic old time museum, not all glitz and no substance like so many of today's showy over the top places. It's like someone's attic  :nod:

Not for a moment did I intend my comments about Esta as a slam, just an observation. She's very spry for her age, just wish she'd share the info about the prototype bikes. She mentioned that she's been writing 2 hardback books which had been put on the back burner for awhile but will now be progressing again. Not to sound morbid, but I sincerely hope she gets the chance to finish them.

-ANT

Tell us again. Where is this museum located?

The Indian Motocycle Museum.

33 Hendee St., Springfield.

899hendee.jpg

Open every day from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

except Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's Day.

899museum.jpg

Getting there: From Interstate 91 or Mass. Turnpike, take I-291 exit. From I-291 take St. James Avenue (Exit 4) to Page Boulevard. Right on Page to Hendee. Look for blue and white Indian Motocycle Museum signs. Museum is inside the Titeflex Corp compound.

899door.jpg

Cost:

Adults, $5.

Under 12, $1.

For information: Call (413) 737-2624.

Or write

Indian Motocycle Museum,

P.O. Box 90003, Mason Square Station,

Springfield, MA.,

Admission is now $5 for adults. Watch carefully for those blue signs (as shown in the pic) they're really quite small. All the road signs in that state are downright miserable. The few times that they do display something that tells you "right turn to route 90" you'll find that after making the turn that the road splits into a fork and there's no sign showing which way to go at that point I SHIT YOU NOT.

This was a most exasperating journey. I usually have a very good internal compass and am one of the few men who know how to read a map, but this state must have a huge lodestone beneath it as I kept getting lost. If I ever go back it'll be with a GPS unit in hand. What a fucking disaster. Try getting out of the airport without getting lost.

-ANT

Esta Manthos often appears to be operating with a total loss cranial lube system.  I've seen her shout down a German visitor to the museum for no apparent reason.  Last time I was there a couple years ago, she went on a rant about Jay Leno outbidding her on a sidecar rig! She's a colorful old bird, though, and delights in telling everyone how she "...never played with dolls" as a kid and how she humbled Mike Tomas (Kiwi Indian) several years ago on Indian Day by making him get on his knees and "kiss the squaw."   I'd rather not picture that.  At least she keeps the place open...no small feat for someone her age.  You oughta see her peal out after closing time in her Camaro with the "INJUN" vanity plate!

Her Indian came with a car? Haven't you been reading (listening)? :ooh2: She's got a late model Camaro. I done saw it, it's silver and has personalized plates as noted above.

-ANT

Wonder if the prototype that Esta refers to is the 'Vindian' built in 1949.The Chief frame's Backbone/tankmount raised to accomodate an OHV Vincent HRD engine and drivetrain. Only one Known to have been built. Vincent went under and never was able to complete the business agreement with Indian. There was also an in line 4 cylinder model prototype built about the same time.

I figger that sometime after she passes away that eventually all will be revealed. Even her unfinished manuscripts will probably be cobbled together and published. The shame of all of this is that for whatever paranoia/hatred of any form of reincarnated Indian she holds, no one will hear the details straight from her----it'll all be after she's gone to the happy hunting grounds in the sky, and without a séance, we won't be able to question her on finer points.

By the by, just what is this roaring hardon against any Indian revival that the classic Indian guys hold against us all? I really don't get it........their noses are higher than the price of a gallon of gas.

-ANT

You really want to have fun with her.  When she mentions her Husband working for Indian during the last years state something to the fact of "oh your husband was part of the team that killed Indian the first time?"  "Was he responsible for the rotten design of the last years motors?"

Then set back and enjoy the show.

Admission is now $5 for adults. Watch carefully for those blue signs (as shown in the pic) they're really quite small. All the road signs in that state are downright miserable. The few times that they do display something that tells you "right turn to route 90" you'll find that after making the turn that the road splits into a fork and there's no sign showing which way to go at that point I SHIT YOU NOT.

This was a most exasperating journey. I usually have a very good internal compass and am one of the few men who know how to read a map, but this state must have a huge lodestone beneath it as I kept getting lost. If I ever go back it'll be with a GPS unit in hand. What a fucking disaster. Try getting out of the airport without getting lost.

-ANT

Yeah, being a MA native I can back you up on the street sign issue. GPS may not help either.

Which airport did you come in to? Logan or one more local to Springfield?

Archived