Indian Motorcycle Community

June 2 abate freedom rally

Noon June 2, 2004 there will be an Abate Freedom Rally for LET THOSE WHO RIDE DECIDE issue in Lansing,MI at the State Capitol Building. The helmet law repeal/ammendment bill is now out of committee in the state legislature and it is time to support this 35th year attempt to allow choice in this matter. Michigan has had the lid law since 1969 enforcing mandatory helmet use. Many feel that this might be the year of change. Insurance company and helmet manufacturers have had strong lobbying forces in place for quite some time but didn't have much to say when Governor Jennifer Granholm and her cabinet began dismantling the rider educational and saftey programs in 2003 to use the revenue from motorcycle taxes, registration and licensing to bolster the State General Fund in these hard times of diminished Federal Revenue sharing. If it weren't for the efforts of Abate these programs stood to lose all of their funding. We couldn't allow that to happen with new riders joining us on the road every day. Riders will meet at various staging points at 11:00 AM to ride down on the Capitol together. Any and all riders are welcome-out of state riders also. Phone Vince@ 248-684-6576

I can't make the ride but do hope they repeal the law as it stands now. I live in IN about 5 miles south of the MI state line. I don't know how many countless times I have been cruising back country roads and ended up in MI with no lid. So far have been lucky enough to turn around and get back to IN before got a lid ticket. Give em hell those of you that make it there !!!!

Archived