Indian Motorcycle Community

Hollywood down !

Please say a prayer for a friend and a fellow Indian rider that many of us know, Kevin Holsome AKA "HOLLYWOOD".

12:54 AM PDT on Thursday, May 27, 2004

By STEFANIE FRITH / The Press-Enterprise

CORONA - A California Highway Patrol officer whose leg was severed in an accident in Corona was in good spirits Wednesday, an official said.

Officer Kevin Holsome, a 16-year veteran of the CHP, remained at Riverside Community Hospital Wednesday, Officer Jim Whitney said. His right leg had been severed at the knee, said Corona Fire Capt. Fred Szabo III.

"He's in OK spirits," Whitney said.

Holsome's leg was severed when a Honda Civic traveling south on Interstate 15 near Highway 91 struck him around 3 p.m. Tuesday. The driver, 43-year-old Michael Thomas Brown, was not cited.

"It's still under investigation," Whitney said.

A 22-year-old Mira Loma woman driving a Chevrolet Blazer had pulled over to the side of the freeway when her left front tire blew out, Whitney said. Holsome conducted a traffic break, which forced all traffic to stay behind him as he moved the Blazer to the left side of the freeway, said Whitney.

The officer, who was on duty, was sitting on his motorcycle on the right side of the Blazer when a couple of cars broke through the traffic break. The Civic, driven by Brown, struck the officer, forcing him off the bike and severing his leg, officials said.

Szabo said Holsome was conscious when firefighters arrived at the scene and remained awake on the ride to the hospital. Szabo had requested permission to give the officer morphine to ease the pain, which the hospital agreed to, he said.

"He was in excruciating pain," said Szabo.

Holsome's age and hometown were not available.

The accident caused officials to shut down southbound Interstate 15 and divert traffic onto westbound Highway 91. Traffic backed up for miles on the freeway and city streets, including Main Street

Harleynot..........sick to my stomach.......

Get healthy soon Kevin; we will be thinking of you !

:veryangry:

I just found out. People like should have their cars and license taken away. I hope they got the perp.

Kevin has given many of us in Orange County motorcycle riding tips and I for one have really used and appreciated his help and advice.  [not to mention ticket sign offs]

For those who do not know him in Socal, you may know his Chief. He has one of the most customized Chiefs I've ever seen. White and Blue with a VERY feathered paint job !

Please join me in wishing him a speedy recovery. He is one of the true Indian brothers with a passion for our brand.

HARLEYNOT ..or ever again.... :veryangry:

13_SJC.jpgbox=Inbox&MsgId=9188_3542270_8989_2284_184831_0_24714_244362_2504350024&bodyPart=2&filename=13_SJC.jpg

Damn!!!! Hollywood is a nice guy. I met him at Corona Indian. My thoughts and prayers are out for him.

That happened right down the street from me (take a good sniff Steve).

We saw it on the news. Sounds like he will be OK. He did a traffic break and some asshole tried to speed through it.

I think "ASSHOLE" would be the key word here ....... :nod:

What I hate about situations like this is that the first question to come out of people's mouths is..."Was he wearing a helmet?"  As if that has anything to do with other people's stupidity.  :devil:   Hope he recovers soon.

Dan

Stupidity should be painful.  The pain shouldn't have to be shared.

Hollywood, thanks for all your help on the roads, sorry you had the miss fortune of someone like that.  I hope you have a full recovery.  Well see you back out on the road. :moped:

Glad Hollywood survived and seems to be recovering.  Did the idjit hit the old lady and the bike as well?  There oughta be a law.....Wait a minute.....There is a law.....Someone get a rope, I'll find a tree.

Prayer pipe loaded&smoking-candle lit&burning for you Hollywood...A word of encouragemrnt-I have several friends who lost all or part of a leg- You can be back Riding real soon if you so desire. Many miles to go for you sir...Hang in there and heal up. Via con Dios, Loco

Thoughts and prayers from Hollywood to Hollywood.

:blues: One of our California Members needs to make sure that this fine man has a laptop to enjoy this site & others now that he's got so much time on his hands...How would it feel to be laid up with nothing to occupy your thoughts but that injury. Guys take the time to visit- I've got a Compac that I rarely use& I'll bet someone out there has an extra too. Does Hollywood have a family other than us? Is there an address we can use to send our support to this family member-If not now then when--Come on guys lets make this thing happen-now not later...Via Con Dios, Doc Loco :blues:

Steve,

Thanks for posting the article regarding our Bro Hollwood!

All,

Thanks for so much for the support of a downed (but not out!) Brother!!

I was just viewing the Riverside Community Hospital site. They have an email service for the patients. If you want, you can send out your well wishes directly to our Brother via email as he recovers in Riverside. Thanks for the suggestion Doc Loco! We'll see what we can do for him.

Here is the link:

http://riversidecommunityhospital.com/EmailFo....T_EMAIL

I've known him since November 2001. We met at the home of Branscombe Richmond. We rode together many times in the past including the Love Ride, Hollywood Xmas parade & other Indian Rider & dealership events. He's a Good Man & I wish the very best for our Brother!

Pray that they charge the "mother phucker" who hit him!!!

Ride Safe Y'all & God Bless!

Norm

Beach Side, SoCal

Norm - thanks for the link . . . I sent Hollwood an e-mail and I hope that every brother and sister of the IIRA sends one also.  BW is correct, contact like this can go a long way to keeping your spirits up and helps toward a speedy recovery.

Hope they charge the person who hit him a heavy price; jail time and fine:angry:  :angry:  :angry:

How about a fund raiser - To get him a sidecar for his Chief?

That's what I would want.

I'll kick in the first $500...

Thanks, Danny

A fundraiser is a great idea, Danny. There's plenty of time for Hollywood to choose his options. It's common to modify the front brake reservoir to apply more pressure to the rear brake so that even braking occurs for continued two wheel riding. Another way to go is with an  adapter permitting a leftside brake pedal for continued two wheel rides. One friend has electroswitch shifting on the stretched fattire chopper he built himself to compensate for his left side from the knee down phantom-with pushbutton shift like the drag racers use with the shift light control. He also has an FLTC with extended thru the frame to the right side foot shift pedal. He shifts and brakes with his good right leg on that bike. There are IRS model trikes now that handle well thru the twisties as well. The key is to heal up real well, get the good leg as strong as possible and getting used to relying on the prosthetic in every day life. For Pingel Enterprise, Inc. 2072 11th Ave, Adams,WI 53910  Toll Free# 888-4-PINGEL for info & catalouge listing many of these options...Here's Hoping you're back in the wind soon, Hollywood.  Best Regards, Loco   Try this Link

Brothers & Sisters,

My Bro's - Rick & I rode to RCH to see Hollywood. We met up with another GREAT Bro - Oscar & his bride Tina there.

Kevin is in very high spirits & most happy to be alive! I handed him a print out of all of your well wishes on this thread as well as copies of the many others sent directly to me. I told him it was from Indian Ridin Bros from all over the USA.  He was very touched to say the least. He & his family appreciate "The Love!".  THANK YOU!!!!

I'm currently working with our SoCal Bros that know & have ridden with him in the past. Not sure what needs or plans are decided upon as of yet. I'll keep you posted as this evolves over the next few days.

Also I have pics of a 01 Centenial Chief with sidecar build for a Viet Nam vet who lost both legs. He has right hand tank shift. w/t left hand rear brake. It was completed for him as of last January. It was a Champion sidecar that was color matched & all controls were custom fab by the boys at Indian Gilroy. I'll hope to have pics of this & many others up on my new site www.grumpyzgarage.com later this week.

Take care & Ride Safe!

Norm

Archived