Indian Motorcycle Community

New indian 1000cc sport bike

When Indian returns (I don't think that its an if), I had a question - How would the Indian faithful respond to an Indian sportbike? I was researching Indian motorcycles and I came across this page:

http://www.indianridersgroupwa.com/ - Click on the history link and then look at RACING

I have no doubt that more sites and more detail exists elsewhere, but this will do. Indian made a name for itself by racing their bikes and then using technological innovations to improve products. I believe that had Indian never went under, they would have continued their racing tradition and continual improvement of their bikes.

One criticism that I have constantly read about the Gilroy bikes is that they were HD clones using a HD derived engine. For Indian to really do well, they need to be unique in every way. So, I thought that I would ask those who have been loyal to Indian for years how they would respond if the company rolled out a 1000cc sportbike for competition in AMA and even a go at the Isle of Man TT - in addition to a line of cruisers and naked bikes.

I don't think anyone here would ride a sportbike, but I think for Indian to really grow, they need smart management and a varied product line...say, maybe 9 completely different bikes to have a chance of having a bike that appeals to different ages, riding styles, and not only just people who can and will spend over $20,000 on a bike.

crotch rockets are for troglodykes...

OK hows this sound-New Indian motor (picture the newer motor from THE SHOP). Deep Finned 45to 60 degree V Twin old pre 50's headlook-but inside lurks 4valves overhead cam. Two overhead valves and two side valves-directport feul injected cold air feed thru K&N air induction.Dual plug heads programable single fire ignition. Bump up the cylinders to min 4" bore & stroke. One pc. crank/flywheel bolt on connecting rods & split bearings ala Falcon Forged unit. Wiseco short skirt forged pistons. Or carburate the street model with Davinci S&S G. Old looks modern performance...Or rework the old Scout unit construct oldlooking head style but 4valve DOHC internals-new cylinders casesbetter trans 6sp. better monoshock suspension& forks better charge system or magneto for drags& flattrackers. As long as we're dreaming-why not capture some of the chopper& bobber market as well-one for each line of bike- build 'em right and sell as low as can go and still remain competitive in R&D...Limit production till we get it right...limit execs and vps all nonessential personell not directly involved with machinery & Build departments--Oh Yeah-take the company Public in an IPO as soon as possible to eliminate Audax-type takeovers. Just my $2 worth...ADIOS LOCO

Loco es muy brilliente!(Hey, its been 12 years since high school Spanish so I know my spelling sucks!)

I would operate Indian as a pure R&D bike shop. Focus on product, not bullshit lifestyle. Use the merchandizing profits to fund the R&D. To be viable, Indian needs more than just three bikes. IMO, they should have line of cruisers, a line of standards, and when feasible, a sportbike or three. The crusiers and standards already have a builtin base and the sportbikes can attract a whole new generation to Indian. As the company grew over the years, dirt bikes could be developed or ATK could be purchesed and incorporated into Indian thus giving the brand a bike for everyone.

Makes sense to me anyway. This process certainly worked for the Japanese and now Triumph is working on a complete line of bikes. Gilroy showed there was an interest in cruisers, but when a company has such a small product line, they become more susceptible to a fickle market.

Check out that Burt Munro New Zeelander who captured the land speed records of his class year after year...He didn't need no stinkin' factory either...1920 Indian- handcast in the ground heads& pistons cylinders turned from a gas pipeline he found& pressed on fins-one at a time.WOW this guy succeeded year after year beating his own records. 1968 he was 69yrs old & did 190mph-un-fn-believable...Adios Loco Its in NEWS-Anthony Hopkins -- Burt Munro movie...Oh Yeah he started with a 37cuin flathead side valve&transformed it into a 58cu.in. overhead valve motor pushing great torque&hp. for a relativly small motor it outclassed the others of his era by a wide margin. :wave:

Loco es muy brilliente!(Hey, its been 12 years since high school Spanish so I know my spelling sucks!)

I would operate Indian as a pure R&D bike shop. Focus on product, not bullshit lifestyle. Use the merchandizing profits to fund the R&D. To be viable, Indian needs more than just three bikes. IMO, they should have line of cruisers, a line of standards, and when feasible, a sportbike or three. The crusiers and standards already have a builtin base and the sportbikes can attract a whole new generation to Indian. As the company grew over the years, dirt bikes could be developed or ATK could be purchesed and incorporated into Indian thus giving the brand a bike for everyone.

Makes sense to me anyway. This process certainly worked for the Japanese and now Triumph is working on a complete line of bikes. Gilroy showed there was an interest in cruisers, but when a company has such a small product line, they become more susceptible to a fickle market.

Chupa mi verga punto.   (sp?)

Hey Trog/samauri  Here is a quote from a previous post of yours

When Harley's racing effort went under I felt all cocky and arrogant about my Suzuki and how superior it and the Japanese makes are. But, over time, I have become saddened about how poorly American bikes are made today, our lack of competiveness, our reliance on history and mystique rather than leading the world in tech development, and our poor image abroad.

Your posts are a joke.Unbelievable.You cant behave here yet you tell everyone how you'd run things.Who gives a fuck. Your true colors have been shown.

Hell, Pork didn't get three posts before he started threatening violence against me for daring to tell him the truth!

Samurai/Troglodyte Hiding behind a new mask?

I'm callin you out. Show me one post where I threatened violence. Just one.

There aren't any posts threatening violence.

You are a liar..........Stand up to what you wrote. Try to be a man. Prove yourself or admit you and your words are fake.

You speak with forked tongue.

:no:

Check out that Burt Munro New Zeelander who captured the land speed records of his class year after year...He didn't need no stinkin' factory either...1920 Indian- handcast in the ground heads& pistons cylinders turned from a gas pipeline he found& pressed on fins-one at a time.WOW this guy succeeded year after year beating his own records. 1968 he was 69yrs old & did 190mph-un-fn-believable...Adios Loco Its in NEWS-Anthony Hopkins -- Burt Munro movie...

But, think about what he could have done had he had factory backing!

Hey Porkhop , Trog ,err,I mean Samarai cant help it , its in his (her) nature to instigate! Ever notice how trog always mentions "Males" (not guys) , when referring to men! Only chicks do that!

Right on 02IndianSpiritRider

1) To post or transmit hate speech, harassing content, threats of violence against another member written in a serious manner or joking with even a hint of seriousness.  Shall lead to 48 hour suspension or could at the Administrators discretion result in immediate suspension from the forum.

Paragraph 1. From Board Guidelines.

If Trog/Samurai is correct in this next quote:

Hell, Pork didn't get three posts before he started threatening violence against me for daring to tell him the truth!

Does Trog/Samauri speak with forked tongue??

It appears so.

Because he can't find 1 post to back up his slanderous accusations.

Buck up Buttercup. Show me your words have meaning.

Hey Porkhop , Trog ,err,I mean Samarai cant help it , its in his (her) nature to instigate! Ever notice how trog always mentions "Males" (not guys) , when referring to men! Only chicks do that!

Right on 02IndianSpiritRider

1) To post or transmit hate speech, harassing content, threats of violence against another member written in a serious manner or joking with even a hint of seriousness.  Shall lead to 48 hour suspension or could at the Administrators discretion result in immediate suspension from the forum.

Paragraph 1. From Board Guidelines.

If Trog/Samurai is correct in this next quote:

Does Trog/Samauri speak with forked tongue??

It appears so.

Because he can't find 1 post to back up his slanderous accusations.

Buck up Buttercup. Show me your words have meaning.

Here it is - Plain and simple...

1)  You can't bring back Indian without expecting a major source of income thru merchandising.

2)  I'd love to see an Indian sportbike - Like the Confederate I almost bought.  $20,000 - Hell I'd pay $30,000...

3)  It's 10:16am on a Thursday - And I'm taking a twelve pack to the pool.

:rasp:

Thanks, Danny

I'd love to see Indian come back with e sport bike...I was calling for a flat track racer Scout years ago.  Love to see a bobbed and lowered flat track racer.

I'd love to see Indian come back with e sport bike...I was calling for a flat track racer Scout years ago.  Love to see a bobbed and lowered flat track racer.

HD has a stale image with younger people. Old tech, old fogies living in the past, nothing new, inventive, or exciting other than the V-ROD (which the purists seem to hate). Indian doesn't have to be the biggest American bike maker, just the best. Having only three bikes (and al lcruisers) really pigeonholed them more than was necessary. Indian needs more models at different price points to address riders of all ages, styles, and economic backgrounds.

By making HD clones, Gilroy looked a follower. Indian should be an innovator whether that means using shaft drive, adding a triple or a 4-cyl to their V-Twin lineup, and/or taking their products racing. A banner and some fuktards who don't know bikes standing at a booth at a bike show is one form of advertising but racing your products agaisnt some of the world's best is another...and a form of advertising that younger people pay more attention to. HD can talk the talk...but Indian will need to eventually walk the walk.

HD has a stale image with younger people. Old tech, old fogies living in the past, nothing new, inventive, or exciting other than the V-ROD (which the purists seem to hate). Indian doesn't have to be the biggest American bike maker, just the best. Having only three bikes (and al lcruisers) really pigeonholed them more than was necessary. Indian needs more models at different price points to address riders of all ages, styles, and economic backgrounds.

By making HD clones, Gilroy looked a follower. Indian should be an innovator whether that means using shaft drive, adding a triple or a 4-cyl to their V-Twin lineup, and/or taking their products racing. A banner and some fuktards who don't know bikes standing at a booth at a bike show is one form of advertising but racing your products agaisnt some of the world's best is another...and a form of advertising that younger people pay more attention to. HD can talk the talk...but Indian will need to eventually walk the walk.

Fuck you and your clone shit you faggot...

Real men can accept defeat, move on, and not cry like a little bitch to the ADMIN to get someone banned who is not taking part in your mudslinging.

You lost. Its over. Let it go....  :no:

THIS IS JUST MY TWO CENTS, like it or not, don't really give a sh-t.  The three model lines of gilroy indians, are beautiful motorcycles. Mine is a 2000 medium metalic blue and light grey, Chief. Tongues wag when it hits the street. The problem I seen with these three models is that, unless you were 5'9" tall and up, you could not ride these scooters. At least not without long pullback risers on the bars, and slamming the ride height(feet still would be reaching for foot controls).I still believe, IMC needed a smaller model motorcycle, to reach into the market of people under 5'9". Case in point, I just purchased a 2001 883 sportster($5100, only 1800 miles) for my 5'1" girlfriend, it fit's her perfect. The only other american made, that she could ride, was a low rider.        

Like it or not, H-D has it all covered. They have a model for every size and riding style of rider.

Translation on this subject; to few chioces = to few customers.

HD does NOT fit all sizes. They have said and written publicly that their bikes are built for the 5'8"-5'10" rider. Have you ever seen someone 6'4" on a stock Road Queen? It isn't pretty.

The Scout and Spirit are the smaller Indian bikes, that's their role.

• 2 weeks later...
Not only are you narrowminded, you must be 6'4",and have ridden a Road King. I am 5'10", and test sat on a 2002 Chief when they were first introduced, and it was just way to tall and the seating too streached out. I have also sat on spirit's and scout's, and thought the same. The point of this subject was that IMC, or for that matter a new player, needed to or needs a wider product line. However, all of this dialog is just food of thought, as IMC is gone, and a new player would be foolish to come into this market, at this time. I mean, be honest, would you buy into a 04', 05', or 06' Indian? Wait, let me answer that for you,  HELL NO! As I stated before, this is just my TWO CENT'S

The Scout and Spirit are the smaller Indian bikes, that's their role.

Not true...I'm 5'4" and the 99 Chief fits me perfectly...The Scout on the other hand is too big...My feet won't reach the forward controls safely...

Not only are you narrowminded, you must be 6'4",and have ridden a Road King.

I'm a little confused as to how stating my opinion makes me narrowminded (when I'm not) but I guess that makes two of us confused.

No, actually I'm 5'10. I fit perfect on my Vintage (handlebars bent differently; ever test sat on one o those?) My good friend is 6'4 with a Road Queen and before his new freeway pegs and handlebars, the bike was actually causing him PAIN when he rode because his joints were in positions they should'nt have been.

But hey, what do I know anyway.

What's with all the new people on this board anyway? It starts with Samotrog, and now they are coming in like flys to shit. It IS possible to disagree without throwing insults back like a cheap tequila.

It IS possible to disagree without throwing insults back like a cheap tequila.

Wel TC, it depends on what brand of cheap tequila yer talkin about ......... :rotfl:

Not only are you narrowminded, you must be 6'4",and have ridden a Road King. I am 5'10", and test sat on a 2002 Chief when they were first introduced, and it was just way to tall and the seating too streached out. I have also sat on spirit's and scout's, and thought the same. The point of this subject was that IMC, or for that matter a new player, needed to or needs a wider product line. However, all of this dialog is just food of thought, as IMC is gone, and a new player would be foolish to come into this market, at this time. I mean, be honest, would you buy into a 04', 05', or 06' Indian? Wait, let me answer that for you,  HELL NO! As I stated before, this is just my TWO CENT'S

I am 5'8" tall. I ride an 02 Roadmaster. Stock seat height. I did put 4" risers on, but, it wasn't required. Just a little more comfortable.  You are stretched out, but, again I like it. It fits me just right.

As for the Road King, I think it's way too small a bike, even for me. It just doesn't sit right. I think the chief does. Wouldn't change a thing about them. Except of course to build the PP100 the way it otta be.

Would I buy another. Let me answer honestly. Hell yes. If I had the bucks I'd have another one right now. It is the best looking, sweetest handling bike on the road.  Just my 2 cents.

I think you guys are mental... more models?  They need to focus on less... if they come back they should just focus on Chiefs and Scouts... do you realize how much overhead is required to develop new engines & models?... it would kill them in an instant...  yeah all the established bike companies have lots of different models... but they had to build up to that slowly... didn't Honda basically start with a single model when they entered the US market, (Cub)?

Archived