Indian Motorcycle Community

What bill cosby said

WHAT BILL COSBY SAID

Tuesday, May 25, 2004

According to a Washington Post transcript, here are some of the remarks made by actor-comedian-philanthropist Bill Cosby on May 17 in Washington, D.C., during the gala commemorating the 50th anniversary of the Brown v. Board of Education:

"People marched and were hit in the face with rocks to get an education, and now we've got these knuckleheads walking around. . . . The lower economic people are not holding up their end in this deal. These people are not parenting."

"I am talking about these people who cry when their son is standing there in an orange suit. Where were you when he was 2? Where were you when he was 12? Where were you when he was 18 and how come you didn't know that he had a pistol? And where is the father?"

"People putting their clothes on backward: Isn't that a sign of something gone wrong? . . . People with their hats on backward, pants down around the crack, isn't that a sign of something, or are you waiting for Jesus to pull his pants up? Isn't it a sign of something when she has her dress all the way up . . . and got all type of needles (piercing) going through her body? What part of Africa did this come from? We are not Africans. Those people are not Africans; they don't know a . . . thing about Africa."

"With names like Shaniqua, Taliqua and Mohammed and all of that crap, and all of them are in jail. Brown versus the Board of Education is no longer the white person's problem. We have got to take the neighborhood back. . . . They are standing on the corner and they can't speak English."

"People used to be ashamed. . . . [Today] a woman has eight children with eight different 'husbands,' or men or whatever you call them now."

"The idea is to one day get out of the projects. You don't just stay there."

"We have millionaire football players who can't read. We have million-dollar basketball players who can't write two paragraphs."

"We as black folks have to do a better job. . . . Someone working at Wal-Mart with seven kids, you are hurting us. We have to start holding each other to a higher standard."

". . . We cannot blame white people. . . . ."

"The incarcerated? These are not political criminals. These are people going around stealing Coca-Cola. People getting shot in the back of the head over a piece of pound cake and then we run out and we are outraged, saying, 'The cops shouldn't have shot him.' What the hell was he doing with the pound cake in his hand?"

Copyright 2004 Oregon Live. All Rights Reserved.

Bravo for Bill Cosby

Thomas Sowell

May 25, 2004

Bill Cosby has provided a lot of laughs for millions of Americans over the years but black "leaders" were not laughing after he lashed out at those black parents who buy their children expensive sneakers instead of something educational. He also denounced both those children and those adults in the black community who refuse to speak the king's English.

"Everybody knows it's important to speak English except these knuckleheads," Cosby said. "You can't be a doctor with that kind of crap coming out of your mouth." He also mocked those who referred to "the incarcerated" as "political prisoners."

At this gathering on the 50th anniversary of Brown v. Board of Education, some in the audience laughed and applauded but the pillars of the black "leadership" establishment -- the head of the NAACP, the head of the NAACP Legal Defense Fund and the president of Howard University -- were "stone-faced," according to the Washington Post.

Theodore Shaw of the Legal Defense Fund then "told the crowd that most people on welfare are not African Americans, and many of the problems his organizations has addressed in the black community were not self-inflicted."

Other groups are not perfect -- but is that an excuse for doing self-destructive things?

Bill Cosby and the black "leadership" represent two long-standing differences about how to deal with the problems of the black community. The "leaders" are concerned with protecting the image of blacks, while Cosby is trying to protect the future of blacks, especially those of the younger generation.

Far from just bashing blacks, Cosby has given generously to promote black education. But he is still old-fashioned enough to think that others need to take some responsibility for using the opportunities that were gained for them by "people who marched and were hit in the face with rocks to get an education."

Now, in too many black communities, dedicating yourself to getting an education is called "acting white."

These are painful realities and they do not become any less real or any less painful by hushing them up. Nobody enjoys being made to look bad in public. But too many in the black community are preoccupied with how things will look to white people, with what in private life would be concern about "what will the neighbors think?"

When your children are dying, you don't worry about what the neighbors think. When the whole future of a race is jeopardized by self-destructive fads, you put public relations on the back burner.

There are still whites out there who think that blacks are innately incapable of achievement -- and some of them support affirmative action for that reason. But there is plenty of evidence that innate ability, or even developed mental skills, are not the big problem.

Not only blacks with low test scores, but even blacks with high test scores, do not do as well academically as whites with the same test scores. Among Asian Americans, it is just the opposite. They do better than whites with the same test scores, whether in educational institutions or in economic activities.

Years ago, Cosby urged a group of young blacks to put more effort into their studies, the way Asian students do. "Do you know why they are called Asians?" he asked. "Because they always get A's."

The differences among all these groups are in one four-letter word that you are still not supposed to say: work.

Anyone who has taught black, white, and Asian students will know that they do not work equally. Studies show it but you don't need studies. Just go into a university library on a Saturday night and see who is there and who is not there.

In some places, you might think it was an all-Asian university, judging by the students in the library on Saturday night.

How surprised should you be when you go into a classroom on Monday morning and find out who is on top of the work and who is struggling to keep up?

What Bill Cosby said was no laughing matter. It is closer to being something to cry about.

©2004 Creators Syndicate, Inc.

Cosby's criticism of parents plays into wrong hands

KNOWING HIM, HIS MESSAGE WAS: LET'S HELP

By Joe Rodriguez

``Hey, hey, hey, it's Fat Albert,'' and now we know how he got so big and lazy. And why his good-for-nothing pals, Mushmouth and Weird Harold, turned out the way they did.

Blame their parents.

Comedian Bill Cosby was never funnier than when he was the voice of Fat Albert and joking about growing up in 1960s Philadelphia. I saw him once in Las Vegas. Every other comedian on The Strip cussed, threw the finger or degraded women for laughs. Cosby always was too good, too intelligent and good-hearted for cheap laughs.

So when he recently blamed low-income parents for their failing, misbehaving or violent children, I was surprised. I cringed. Not because he's wrong but because the wrong jokers will embrace the punch line. There's a conservative tendency these days to blame parents and culture -- African-American culture, Mexican heritage, Puerto Rican biculturalism or whatever invented pathology serves their purpose -- for academic failure, low employment and high incarceration rates among poor blacks and Latinos.

``The mother and the father born here didn't learn to speak standard English -- or math,'' Cosby said in a speech covered by the Mercury News last weekend at Stanford University. ``I don't know where we lost it, or how we lost it, but people are not parenting.''

And, ``Some of these children have been raised like pimps.''

Days before, Cosby spoke at a Brown v. Board of Education gala covered by the Washington Post. ``Ladies and gentlemen, lower economic people are not holding up their end in this deal.''

And, ``They are buying things for kids -- $500 sneakers for what? And won't spend $200 for `Hooked on Phonics.' ''

You could imagine the tuxedos and evening gowns squirming in their seats. Fat Albert never talked like this. Neither did Cosby in his warm and fuzzy, best-selling book, ``Bill Cosby on Fatherhood.''

But is he telling the truth?

You can never go wrong blaming parents, especially single mothers.

So what if their neighborhood schools didn't have the latest textbooks, why didn't these parents come to the rescue with a $50,000 bake sale?

Too many gangs and drugs in the neighborhood? Just say No.

Poverty got you down? Just get married.

If you got married and you're still poor, then don't have kids until you can afford them.

See, when everything from local law enforcement to the federal safety net breaks down, you can always blame the parents for not seeing trouble around the corner or lacking the moral strength to make things right. People of color once had to overcome injustice. Now they must overcome themselves.

Bill Cosby may rue the day he singled out ``lower economic people.'' He could find himself in a bear-hug with moral conservatives who want to eliminate social programs, and scorned by liberals who misunderstood his message. Which was?

Let's help poor African-American parents overcome the failings of society and government. Let's help low-income Latino immigrants learn English. Let's help ``lower economic people'' fight racial injustice but also accept personal responsibility. And let's help most by talking about it loud and clear.

The working word here is ``help.'' How do I know this? No black celebrity has raised more money -- tens of millions over the years -- for black colleges and minority scholarship funds and education programs.

For example, he may have put his foot in his mouth at Stanford, but the event also raised $1 million for future teachers of low-income students. The preachers of individual responsibility don't offer concrete help like that. They preach.

Why Cosby vented against poor parents is anyone's guess, but we can be sure he wasn't the first or loudest. People of color were already talking -- and arguing -- about personal responsibility and that the breakdown of families needed attention.

That discussion hasn't produced clear answers or a new social movement. It's too early. What should be clear is that parenting is under siege from all sides. But when it happens to poor blacks and other minorities, the breakdown tends to produce racial isolation and exacerbate inequality.

I don't have all the answers. But we can start by helping the poor to help themselves. If it's at church, fine. If it means more government assistance without fostering dependence, so be it. After the rhetoric is gone, it's our own actions that will make the real difference.

Cosby is right! It pisses me off how lazy, ignorant, and violent so many young black people are today. I went to Memphis a few years ago and while at the Peabody Hotel, I asked three....THREE young black female employees just where the National Civil Rights Museum (The Loraine Motel) was. Not one knew and it was only about 6 blocks away!!!! :no:

Look at the crime in the inner city. Look at the prison population. Look at the piss poor attitudes of young black people who never had to struggle just to get a place to live that did not have dirt floors. My dad grew up in a house with dirt floors, no running water, and an outhouse and although I never grew up rich, we grew up with more than he had but we appreciated it.

The modern black community is a fucked up mess but as a white male, I can't really say anything in public because it could and would be seen as racist no matter how true my statements would be. People like Jesse Jackson are parasites on the black community and so are these hip-hop glorified gangsta thugs. I could go on but I'll just say bravo to Bill Cosby. He spoke the truth and its about time blacks were forced to hear it....and maybe eventually do something about it.

Cosby is right! It pisses me off how lazy, ignorant, and violent so many young black people are today. I went to Memphis a few years ago and while at the Peabody Hotel, I asked three....THREE young black female employees just where the National Civil Rights Museum (The Loraine Motel) was. Not one knew and it was only about 6 blocks away!!!! :no:

Look at the crime in the inner city. Look at the prison population. Look at the piss poor attitudes of young black people who never had to struggle just to get a place to live that did not have dirt floors. My dad grew up in a house with dirt floors, no running water, and an outhouse and although I never grew up rich, we grew up with more than he had but we appreciated it.

The modern black community is a fucked up mess but as a white male, I can't really say anything in public because it could and would be seen as racist no matter how true my statements would be. People like Jesse Jackson are parasites on the black community and so are these hip-hop glorified gangsta thugs. I could go on but I'll just say bravo to Bill Cosby. He spoke the truth and its about time blacks were forced to hear it....and maybe eventually do something about it.

:nod:

Unfortunetly - It's true of most parents.  Black, white, brown, etc...

The only good thing - Are the never ending crops of young hotties - Eagerly seeking approval from a father figure.

One lap dance at a time.

Thanks, Danny

One lap dance at a time.

Hahahahahahaha! :devil:

Working in education, I saw shitty kids everyday and then I got to see even shittier parents! It can be depressing to see how piss poor birth givers can (not) parent.

Agreed Danny..

and I can say as a young black male (well I think 36 is young) from a less than meager background that in my opinion the problem isn't a problem of race, but more of socioeconomic standing.  I had friends and neighbors of all races groing up, and I saw some fucked up things from everybody.  Even now travlelling across the country for work I run into all sorts of people, and I find the very poor and even the very rich have the highest percentage of "fuckedupness"...the funny thing is every little group hates the other because of fear and ignorance, and they don't realize they're in the same boat.  Until that ignorance and fear are destroyed, and opportunity and education are equally accessible--inner city, suburb, public, private, etc. the perpetual circles of nothingness will continue.  Starts with parents who are poor and who went to crappy schools and thus have little hope because they can't read past a 7th grade level, passed to kids, who become parents, etc.....

The schools, the system and some of the educators are just in poor shape, and teachers are nothing more than baby sitters for problem kids now.  Some teachers and students actually give a damn and actually try..My mother and a bunch of my family were educators, and I can tell you first hand how poorly they are paid and how many of them reach into their own pockets and take MY toys to help "their" kids.

The "lazy, ignorant and violent' problem isn't just among young blacks, but with many youth who feel disenfranchised (just think school violence).  Some even tend to feel invincible because they always got out of trouble because of who they are or who their parents are I should say.  And I think not knowing where the civil rights museum is is a poor example..Being young blacks in tennesse, I'm sure they get lots of lessons in humanity as it is.  Also maybe it's a good thing that they are not as maybe to them society is changing for the better and the past is getting more distant..but maybe that's just a dream.

I see rich little white kids and poor little kids from all backgrounds with their pants falling around the waist and with their low-rider trucks and heavy into drugs and all i can think is how fucked up that is to me..but mine is not to judge.  

i'll just keeping doing my part to help those in need from dysfunctional families by aiding the workers in the "entertainment industry" with dollar bills, a soft ear and a hard..uh, well..i digress..

As for trog not being able to say anything publicly..well, this is America.  Say want you want...if anybody gets offended, joke em if they can't take a fuk.  As you have seen from your post on these boards, people will agree, disagree and agree to disagree..

THREE young black female employees just where the National Civil Rights Museum (The Loraine Motel) was. Not one knew and it was only about 6 blocks away!!!!  

It went like this : " You no Liquetha , it be dat crib of Jimatha's , nex do to de lico barn " , "Sheeeit , he be sellin dat crack rite now, lets go git sum LuToya!"

It's not just the blacks here in Tennessee....my ex lives in a neighborhood filled with white crack heads....who steal working people blind to keep up with their habit!!  I am a poor person...a single mother...trying to raise my daughters the best way I can...and I must be doing alright cuz I got one kid with a 2.9 GPA and one kid with a 3.4 GPA in high school.  It's been tough, but I talk to my daughters on a regular basis...I know what's going on in their life and I help them the best I can....there's no room to spoil them, but when they have accomplished something good....they are rewarded!!  They really are great kids too...I don't have to worry constantly because they use their heads and don't try to do something stupid for fear of the consequences!!

As for my ex....I want him to move because they(my daughters)  go to his house and stay some week-ends and I just don't trust those people around my daughters....grown men over their staring their heads off at them...it makes me sick!!  :no:

Homer,

Amen.  This is not just a black issue but it certainly is prevalent there.  My father taught for 38 years, with a passion for teaching.  He was burnt out by the end because he felt the kids did not care anymore.  He taught in the same school system for his entire career.  His starting pay was $3,500yr  and he finished only making 38,000.  He worked two jobs, delivering papers in the morning and coaching after school to help pay the bills.  He also worked in the summer to make sure his 4 boys had what they needed not always what they wanted.  Now his school is a yuppy haven, where both parents work to get thier beamers and have nannies raising thier kids.  Americans need to wake up and find thier values again.  If you choose to become a parent, that is your first responsibility in life.  So what if you can't have the best home or best car.  If you have a happy well adjusted family, that is the richest reward that life could offer.  My dad taught in what started as a poor farming community and is predominantly white.  He finds foreign students who go to school there more pleasurable to teach because it is not handed to them it is an opportunity.  If we work as hard on our families as we did at work we would all be the better.

Amen to you Homer....it's not always money that makes a person happy and well adjusted in life....we may not have a lot of money in our home, but we have a whole lot of love!!

Thank-you very much for the kind words 02IndianSpiritRider!!  They really are great kids and I am blessed!!

I think the only thing wrong with what Bill Cosby said...is the fact that he was singling out poor folks...everything else was right on it!!   :)  :;):

My hats off to Bill. I wish more would speak out, the family breakdown, now increased by homosexual marriages is taking it's toll on America. My daughter just told me there are two girls in her 8th grade class that are pregnant. She's thirteen years old. Her friends older sister got pregnant at sixteen and although the father is with her, who I hear is a concerned farther, they are still not married and she recently was sent to the hospital because of "weakness"; she doesn't have enough money to feed herself. But it's not real surprising considering what the adults of this country are teaching our kids by their behavior, and everything is pretty accessible. If you take the comment out of the book east of Eden concerning a person born without a conscious and what they are capable of, look at what this society is breeding, situational ethics, get it without working for it and whatever our appetites might like to indulge in. The jails won't have a vacancy problem.

:veryangry:

He finds foreign students who go to school there more pleasurable to teach because it is not handed to them it is an opportunity.  If we work as hard on our families as we did at work we would all be the better.

Let there be no mistake about this, what your father says is ABSOLUTELY and UNDENIABLY true. I have worked in both the legal and education fields, both here in the US and in Japan and I can say from first-hand experience that what your father experienced is a fact. Japanese students>American students. Shouldn't be that way....but it is.

for the sixteen years i have been going to prisons and death rows and talking to parents of jailed kids i found it is not juvenile delinquency,but parent delinquency!!!!!

Without a doubt! Parents would take their kids out of school and bring their kids to court like it was an everyday thing. Same thing with probation offices and drug tests. :no: Sometimes I wounder if people should be forced to take a parenting class in order to obtain a license to be able to have children. The need a license to be able to tride a motorcycle but not to bring a ghild into this world and which one is more important?!?!?

The need a license to be able to tride a motorcycle but not to bring a ghild into this world and which one is more important?!?!?

Only a Troglodyke/Samarui would tride a motorcycle.

Or bring a ghild into this world.

Approx 8 posts a day since  05/04/04 of premium bullshit.

Slanderous accusations and I quote you

"Hell, Pork didn't get three posts before he started threatening violence against me for daring to tell him the truth!"

Read board rules

1) To post or transmit hate speech, harassing content, threats of violence against another member written in a serious manner or joking with even a hint of seriousness.  Shall lead to 48 hour suspension or could at the Administrators discretion result in immediate suspension from the forum.

Prove your accusations. And have me removed.You cant! They are as hollow as your circle jerk posts.

You speak with forked tongue. Your words have no meaning for you haven't the spine to back them up.

Keep hiding behind your computer, sport.

Whoah hold-up what if what Don said is True-Trog\Sam is of the tender gender? Lotsa past examples of women posin' as men-Joan of Arc comes to Mind...Fast forward a week or a month...Trog|Sam posts a personal photo or attends a run-maybe Trail of Tears or Sturgis& it turns out Trog/Sam is Quite the hottie-slim single & liking these Indians. Scooter chicks sometimes project a male personna to cover the feminine sensibility thang :shocked: Check out cruel girl .com site-Putt 59 is one cool scooter babe(yeah she's married& hubby rides too)-also a personal friend of one Sonny Barger. :cppl1 We are all pretty anonomous and safe behind these keyboards but if this goes down like I think it might-you Mr. Porkchop are going to feel like Lambchop with your pud droolin' in your palm. Think about it a minute: The Mood Swings: the not lettin' go of a topic the continual rehashing of old shit-reminds me of someone I won't name right now - she reads this shit too sometimes...But nah maybe I'm readin' this all wrong- how many womenfolk actually enjoy a good cigar in public? Well there is Salma Hayek a certified Chicana hot cutie for one- still I guess it's a possibility-facts somtimes weirder than fiction in this old world. Not withstanding the Cock>  <tonsil metaphor I thought the toupe with brains line was a good one-the german shep joke while good was first heard a while ago sans le troglodyte tag- even though gelded they still lick the hell out of that nutsack ever hopeful of a return to wholeness-the sheps do anyhow-the habits of trogolodytes being unbeknownst to Indian Riders. Anywho...my thanks to all of you fine members for the humor you have provided-how'd ya get to be so damn funny??? damn  :rotfl:  :wave:  :rotfl:   Via Con Dios-Doc Loco

Enuff diversion-the Cosby controversy I find intersting in that he lost a son recently to hoodlums who victimized one lone dude who was in the wrong place+time. This personal tragedy has probably fueled some of this perspective on Bill's part. Respect for others nowadays is considered by many to be a weakness& a characteristic worthy of scorn and degradation - this is regretable coz I've was brought up to believe that respect for others is a true mark of a true man and the incapacity to hold ones temper an indicator of immaturaty& weakness of character-seems the whole concept of respect has been turned on it's head.Question- how do we get things right again with the respect thang? Any ideas out there on this?   :banghead: Via Con Dios, Doc Loco

I'll go ahead and say it - the problem is the glorification of hip-hop culture. Everyone wants to be Black...but Black means to be like an animal. This is what Cosby is lamenting. They had worked so hard to be treated like human beings and now the idea of being black is to be stupid, violent, ghetto bling-bling, and uncontrolable. And this is cool? White people have followed this trend and popular culture continues to perpetuate this idea of being black as the very idea that Cosby and those in the Civil Rights movement worked so hard to destroy.

Blacks work so hard to destroy themselves while all the time bitching about discrimination. True, too many Blacks live in urban concrete plantations, but they have learned helplessness and to rely on the government. Of course, politicans have learned to play on black fears needs all the while playing on the Whites' fears/needs against the Blacks. Its a perfect system for those in power and making the money off of pop culture.

When I moved back to the US, I noticed this "thug culture" and I gotta say it sucks ass and anyone who criticizes Cosby for his comments can kiss by hairy white ass. Just what have those who are making a living off perpetuating the idea of a cool "thug culture" giving back to their community or even working at advancing the standing of Blacks in America?

OK but the question still stands unanswered-- HOW DO WE GET THINGS RIGHT WITH THIS RESPECT THING--Hell we have got this problem right now and right here amoungst ourselves on this little ole forum of ours- if we can't get it RIGHT HERE how on earth can we expect the culture at large to heal this disease? Is it going to take some enormous cataclysm for people to believe in the dignity inherent in our social contact with one another? Can any one give an AMEN? Or are we deaf dumb + blind to this problem too?...Via Con Dios    El Loco

OK but the question still stands unanswered-- HOW DO WE GET THINGS RIGHT WITH THIS RESPECT THING--

Well, for one thing, a lot of toes are going to have be stepped on and a lot of people are going to have to be made uncomfortable. Hip-hop stars and the companies that promote them need to be taken to task for their profiteering off of a creation of a violent culture based on the idea of black thuggery and inferiority.

Is it going to take some enormous cataclysm for people to believe in the dignity inherent in our social contact with one another?

That is typically what is necessary to cause change. White people are going to have to start to die for any change to even be seriously considered by those in influentila positions. Until then, politicans will keep their power and pop-culture execs will keep the money flowing in.

We aren't that much different than Rome really, no outside power ever had a chance of defeating us, but due to our avarice, lack of consideration, and contempt for respect, education, intelligence, and compassion will prove our undoing.

Can any one give an AMEN?

I'll give you your AMEN and raise you one OH, GLORY NOW!

Or are we deaf dumb + blind to this problem too?

See no evil, hear no evil, but speak a lot of evil and keep the money rolling in. Maybe the problem will just go away and I can keep my money! This is the attitude today.

for the sixteen years i have been going to prisons and death rows and talking to parents of jailed kids i found it is not juvenile delinquency,but parent delinquency!!!!!

:nod:

the welfare system is a total failure, throwing money after bad isn't the answer. getting off their sorry asses and earning a living is a start.

to be honest I don't trust mr bill but atleast he did come forth with something for people to think about.

right about now mr jessie and the naacp are thinking of how bill just cut their funding.

you see as long as they can stir the pot and blame the white man they have a wealthy living but when people start thinking for themselves their controll will be lost.

so bill will be made into a uncle tom and things will be back to the mail box the first of the month just like clock work.

Archived