Indian Motorcycle Community

The rape of an american legend by ron morris

Posted on December 20th 2003 at www.ironindiansridersassociation.com about an article November 11th, 2003, Last Resort reports that a Ron Hill was writing a book called The Rape of an American Icon that was due out early this year. I serached Amazon and found nothing. Did Mr. Hill give up on the book? is he a local reporter in Gilroy?

I would very much like to have this book if it is available.

Posted on December 20th 2003 at www.ironindiansridersassociation.com about an article November 11th, 2003, Last Resort reports that a Ron Hill was writing a book called The Rape of an American Icon that was due out early this year. I serached Amazon and found nothing. Did Mr. Hill give up on the book? is he a local reporter in Gilroy?

I would very much like to have this book if it is available.

This guy is a former VP of R&D for Indian under the Sotelo regime.  He made the announcement about his book on an Easyriders Radio show months ago, then promptly fell off the radar screen, just like the rest of "them".

His appearance on the radio was spectacularly uneventful, as he kept ducking questions with general, non-specific answers.  If he ever does write his book, it might be a fun read, but based on his prior comments, you can probably expect him to sing the praises of the initial group, and blame everything on Audax.

Ahhhhhh, I see. Most likely the book will never be done then. So, just what are the chances that the truth about Gilroy will ever come out? The history of classic Indian is available in several books, but nothing on the modern Gilroy fiasco. I asked in another thread about current accurate information being available. Looks like nothing will ever get written unless Indian is reborn under competent management, builds a long history itself to be able to have an investigation of Gilroy.

This sucks though. When I saw the announcement about the book, I was really looking forward to reading it and adding to my (currently limited) Indian knowledge.

I agree with Steve...with this guy's "insight", he'd be better off releasing a coloring book with drawings of the 2005 prototypes.

If I ever get my ass into gear (you should hear the gear grinding!) I wanna scribble something down......mainly interviews and story telling of former employees. I'd let the reader draw their own conclusions instead of "forcing" my opinion like so many of these other writers of Indian books.

-ANT

I'm betting that like most of us who have access to Company info, he had to sign an NDA...non disclosure agreement...you can be sued for not abiding by the terms of an NDA....I have had info in the past about plant closings, and had to keep my trap shut, so as not to let the cat out of the bag...talk about tough...talking to someone knowing that they aren't going to be around in a week or so...

Every NDA that I have been familiar with had a time limit that stated how long a person could not say anything or work in a particular field, especially for a competitor (except for company product secrets that are protected by copyright and thus, could never be legally exposed). But, this is mainly the aerospace sector and I don't know about the auto/motorcycle sector. But, I cannot imagine why the auto/bike sector would be more strict. I follow the streetbike racing world (as you can imagine from my avatar...an American made sportbike) and I have found sources for the history of the old Indian, but not many inside "dirt" on Gilroy. I imagine the info will come out one day.

If Hill wants to be honest, he could hire a writer and be like a "Deep Throat" was for Woodward/Bernstein. Others could take part as well and deny all participation. It would be interesting to know if NDAs were ever signed and for how long they will be in effect.

(as you can imagine from my avatar...an American made sportbike)

I think American designed, and American built might be more appropriate. The engine is neither of those, if I remember correctly. The powerplant is of foreign design and manufacture, isn't it?

Technically, you are very correct. The engines are supposed to come from Hyosung, a South Korean engine manufacturer that is one of the world's biggest. It shows great potential and I hope an American bike can make a great showing on the world stage. Perhaps, in time an American manufacturer can provide a suitable engine...if they don't go bankrupt first.

http://www.fischer1.com

http://www.hyosung.com

I talked to Ron in Daytona, he was working with Revenge Cycle (Rich Doss)  They had a beautiful trailer (46ft. if I remember right) and display in one of the big courts on Beach St., I think he said they were working out of Hollister (memory's a little foggy from the Jim Beam in the Tomoka Tipi)  Funny thing was, I was at the All Ford Drags at Sacramento Raceway a couple weeks ago, and the same trailer, still lettered Revenge Cycle, was sitting in the pits for sale for $17.5K. Why it was for sale in Sac i have no clue, except for good exposure, since it's basically a race car trailer, but unless they had more than one, it was definitely the same trailer/company. Their web site is still up, shows a road tour from Daytona to Laughlin to Myrtle Beach, Laconia, etc., but the pictures and news stop after Daytona ???

Archived