Indian Motorcycle Community

Just about what I expected....

I knew Alaska, Washington, Idaho, Oregon, Montana, Colorado, and Missouri were all knowledgeable drivers. All you really have to do is watch who uses their blinkers more, lol. I don't believe the New Mexico score for a minute, though. It should be down with Arizona. I mean, have you ever tried to drive in Albuquerque? Almost as bad as Phoenix.

And yes, I'm aware that even though they might know the rules about driving, it doesn't seem to improve their driving at times...at any rate, I missed one on the test, for a 95%. #18. Still not sure the wording in that one is right.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From U.S. News: The worst drivers in America live in New York. Of course, you knew that. You've been in the Holland Tunnel. But now, we have proof.

GMAC Insurance has released the results of its National Drivers Test for 2009. The test, which measures basic knowledge of driving laws, was given to more than 5,000 drivers from all 50 states and the District of Columbia -- and New Yorkers finished last. Last year's loser, New Jersey, improved its score just enough to leap over New York. Hawaii, California and Georgia rounded out the bottom five.

Idaho and Wisconsin drivers tied for the highest average score, with an 80.6.

The point of the test, of course, is not just to confirm what anyone who's tried to merge onto the Thruway already knew. It's to measure how much we know about safe driving. And the news isn't good.

In a press release, GMAC explains, "Results from the 2009 GMAC Insurance National Drivers Test released today found that 20.1 percent of licensed Americans - amounting to roughly 41 million drivers on the road - would not pass a written drivers test exam if taken today." Most of us have trouble, according to the results, with "questions about yellow lights and safe following distances."

The survey has been given for five years. The average score has fluctuated up and down during that time, but this year it is down - 76.6 percent versus last year's 78.1.

GMAC notes, "In general, geographical regions ranked similarly to previous years, with the lowest average test scores in the Northeast, while the states in the Midwest held the highest averages. When comparing genders, men are still more likely to pass the test than women, but the gap is considerably smaller in 2009 (81 percent of males versus 79 percent of females) than in 2008 (87 percent of males versus 80 percent of females)."

And, "The older the driver, the higher the test score." Drivers over 35 were more likely to pass than those under 35, while men over 45 posted the highest scores, and "the age group with the highest failure rates was young adults (18 to 24 years old)."

Curious how you'd do? Take the test yourself at http://www.nationaldriverstest.com. When you're finished, GMAC will even let you play a video game that teaches you how to avoid elderly people and aliens in the roadway (no, we're not kidding).

State Rankings

Note: Many states tied for the same position in the rankings.

1 IDAHO

1 WISCONSIN

3 MONTANA

4 KANSAS

5 SOUTH DAKOTA

5 NEBRASKA

7 UTAH

8 WYOMING

8 IOWA

8 OREGON

8 MINNESOTA

12 ALASKA

12 NORTH DAKOTA

14 VERMONT

15 COLORADO

15 MISSOURI

17 OKLAHOMA

17 WASHINGTON

19 NEW MEXICO

20 NORTH CAROLINA

21 VIRGINIA

22 INDIANA

22 MICHIGAN

24 ARKANSAS

24 TEXAS

26 ALABAMA

26 NEVADA

28 WEST VIRGINIA

29 ILLINOIS

30 ARIZONA

31 MAINE

32 DELAWARE

33 NEW HAMPSHIRE

34 OHIO

35 KENTUCKY

36 PENNSYLVANIA

37 LOUISIANA

38 TENNESSEE

38 MISSISSIPPI

40 SOUTH CAROLINA

40 MARYLAND

42 CONNECTICUT

43 FLORIDA

44 DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA

45 MASSACHUSETTS

46 RHODE ISLAND

47 GEORGIA

48 CALIFORNIA

49 HAWAII

50 NEW JERSEY

51 NEW YORK

Strange - Seems there are less accidents when people are snowed in their homes...........

Thanx, D

Hell,, I missed # 12,, but I was on the rigght track with my answer

Hell,, I missed # 12,, but I was on the rigght track with my answer

That wasn't the one about running little babies down in the crosswalks, was it?

:D

Ah, New York, the 51st state. Thats where I learned to drive.

Get outta my way, assholes.