Indian Motorcycle Community

Road Raged Assault, Negligence, what's next?

From Here: Chicago News

Charges mulled in fatal nail-polish crash

May 4, 2009 10:39 AM | 173 Comments | UPDATED STORY

The Lake County State's Attorney's office says it's looking into criminal charges against a woman who allegedly was painting her fingernails while driving and fatally struck a stopped motorcyclist over the weekend.

"We are looking into charges in the case," Assistant State's Atty. Patricia Fix said this morning. "But we are waiting for results of blood and urine tests and waiting for the results of an accident reconstruction, as well as any other technical evidence we can derive from the scene."

Authorities say Anita Zaffke, of the 1500 block of Eddy Lane in Lake Zurich, stopped at the intersection of Route 12 and Old McHenry Road at around 5:45 p.m. Saturday as the traffic light turned from green to yellow.

The driver of a Chevrolet Impala behind Zaffke, Lora Hunt, 48, of Morris, told police "she was painting her nails as she drove and did not see [the motorcycle] until contact was already made," according to a Lake County Sheriff's Department incident report.

Zaffke, who was wearing a helmet, was thrown a distance from her Honda motorcycle, according to Lake County Coroner Dr. Richard Keller. Her son, Greg, said this morning his mother was also wearing a bright yellow cycling jacket.

"It appears to be a tragic accident and it appears [Zaffke] did nothing wrong," Lake County Sheriff's Office Sgt. Scott Morrison said Sunday. "She was just in the wrong place at the wrong time and she could not have done anything to avoid it."

Zaffke died about an hour after the crash at Advocate Good Shepherd Hospital in Barrington, Keller said. An autopsy was scheduled for this morning.

Hunt was cited with failure to reduce speed to avoid an accident. She could not be reached for comment this morning.

-- Dan P. Blake and Andrew L. Wang

The Lake County State's Attorney's office says it's looking into criminal charges against a woman who allegedly was painting her fingernails while driving and fatally struck a stopped motorcyclist over the weekend.

"We are looking into charges in the case," Assistant State's Atty. Patricia Fix said this morning. "But we are waiting for results of blood and urine tests and waiting for the results of an accident reconstruction, as well as any other technical evidence we can derive from the scene."

Authorities say Anita Zaffke, of the 1500 block of Eddy Lane in Lake Zurich, stopped at the intersection of Route 12 and Old McHenry Road at around 5:45 p.m. Saturday as the traffic light turned from green to yellow.

The driver of a Chevrolet Impala behind Zaffke, Lora Hunt, 48, of Morris, told police "she was painting her nails as she drove and did not see [the motorcycle] until contact was already made," according to a Lake County Sheriff's Department incident report.

Zaffke, who was wearing a helmet, was thrown a distance from her Honda motorcycle, according to Lake County Coroner Dr. Richard Keller. Her son, Greg, said this morning his mother was also wearing a bright yellow cycling jacket.

"It appears to be a tragic accident and it appears [Zaffke] did nothing wrong," Lake County Sheriff's Office Sgt. Scott Morrison said Sunday. "She was just in the wrong place at the wrong time and she could not have done anything to avoid it."

Zaffke died about an hour after the crash at Advocate Good Shepherd Hospital in Barrington, Keller said. An autopsy was scheduled for this morning.

Hunt was cited with failure to reduce speed to avoid an accident. She could not be reached for comment this morning.

At the very least the bitch should be charged with vehicular homicide or negligence causing death. :angry:

Al

At the very least the bitch should be charged with vehicular homicide or negligence causing death. :angry:

Al

I say we invite her to the barn :nod:

When that crack-head murdered my best friend Mac in Greenville, SC by running a redlight and t-boning him on his Victory, all the useless excuse for a human being was charged with after kicking him whilst he lay bleeding and saying."Get up, all you want to do is sue me for insurance money" was failure to yield. Mac's last words to me on May 20, 2007 were,"I forgive her Pete." That is what kind of human being she erased form this planet. I was his best man twice, my kids refer to him as "Uncle." RIP my brother. Until some stiff sentencing occurs, they will continue to slaughter us with impunity. I have seen idiots reading books, texting, putting on lipstick, watching DVD's, playing stinkfinger, whatever. I am glad I got the lord and ZigZag man looking out for me, knock on wood.

<<."Get up, all you want to do is sue me for insurance money" >>

That's unbelievable Pete,...makes u want to hunt her down,...John

We've been working on a "Right of WAY" bill here in Ohio for several years...it's aim is to severely stiffen penalties for folks who cause injury or death to motorcycyclists, bicyclists and pedestrians...that's the only way we could get enough steam to get it in the house...add the folks walking and on bikes too......had a good friend die a coupla years ago when someone pulled out from a side road in front of him when he was about 40 feet from the intersection doing 55.......

bottom line is other drivers make our passion dangerous...piss poor road design (off camber corners) by engineers with no experience riding on 2 wheels make it dangerous for us......highway engineers ought to have to drive one of every vehicle type that's gonna be on the roadways....things might be different then, when they get done cleaning out their britches from riding on what they've already designed, and expect us to ride on.......

This kind of shit always gets my blood boiling. In my 44 years of motorcycling, I have had more than my fair share of idiots almost take me off the road, and one or two that did.

Here is my take on it.

1. It wasn't that she didn't see the motorcyclist, she wasn't watching the road. Period...
  2. It wasn't a tragic accident. Tragic yes, accident, no. The bimbo driving the cage made a concious decision to do her makeup instead of concentrate on driving her killing machine.
  3. Yep, she was doing everything right. She just had a moron carelessly kill her.

These people that wantonly drive vehicles impaired like this need to be prosecuted as vigorously as drunk drivers are. That is the only way get peoples attention.

RCH...so true.......driving is a privilege...not a right....one should take every precaution and drive.....not do your nails, hair, read the friggin paper as I've seen people do here in Ohio........love those...I always work my way in front and tap the brakes (when I'm in the cage) and watch them head for the ditch or median....dumb asses......not saying that's right either, but they tend to stop reading the paper and watch the road after my little treatment........

RCH...so true.......driving is a privilege...not a right....one should take every precaution and drive.....not do your nails, hair, read the friggin paper as I've seen people do here in Ohio........love those...I always work my way in front and tap the brakes (when I'm in the cage) and watch them head for the ditch or median....dumb asses......not saying that's right either, but they tend to stop reading the paper and watch the road after my little treatment........

and why no mention of you guys talking on your cell phones? Guess that's OK, huh?

and why no mention of you guys talking on your cell phones? Guess that's OK, huh?

Who guyz ?

It`s never there fault ,they did no wrong . She should be put on a motorcycle at a stop sign and run over by a car with a person doing there nails , an ( Eye for an Eye ) and show it on TV , it might knock some sence into the next person that just has no common sence .

This is a good defense for spliting lanes. Doesnt sound like it would have helped her but sure it has saved others

I wonder if her head was bouncing off her shoulders while she was painting her fucking nails! Bottom line is that we all know when we staddle those two wheel machines and hit the pavement , our lives are in danger! Another brother pays the price another persons ignorance!! Sad story!

I can honestly say that I have never used my cell phone while riding my motorcycle.

And no, it is not OK to use the phone while driving, but that is not what we were talking about.

This happened 2-3 miles from me.

today's paper....http://dailyherald.com/story/?id=291185

The death of a Lake Zurich motorcyclist, killed when she was struck at a traffic light by a driver painting her fingernails, has been ruled an accident, authorities said Monday.

The autopsy found Anita Zaffke, 56, died of internal injuries to her chest and abdomen and a fractured spine after the crash Saturday afternoon, Lake County Coroner Richard Keller said.

Keller also said a toxicology test run on the driver, Lora L. Hunt, 48, of Morris, was negative. Police do not suspect alcohol or drugs were a factor in the crash, Lake County Sheriff Mark Curran said.

Curran said Hunt experienced "a momentary lapse" and was not paying attention.

"We can all learn from this in the sense that cars are dangerous instruments. We need to be careful, always," he said.

Zaffke, who was wearing a helmet, was riding her Honda Shadow motorcycle south on Rand Road when she stopped at a yellow traffic signal at Old McHenry Road near Lake Zurich. Hunt told police she was painting her fingernails as she drove her Chevy Impala toward the intersection and did not see Zaffke until after she hit her, authorities said.

Hunt's attorney Ragan Freitag told ABC 7 that she has not seen the police report and won't comment on whether Hunt was painting her nails while driving. "At this point she is really distressed. There are some things she remembers and some things she doesn't - she is distraught over this," Freitag told ABC 7.

Zaffke and her motorcycle were pushed forward a few hundred feet by the force of the impact, authorities said.

ABC 7 reported Monday family members said Zaffke was heading from her son's Waukegan apartment to her home. They had been talking about plans for Mother's Day.

"I was pretty much in disbelief at first," said Greg Zaffke, Anita Zaffke's son. "We went up to the intersection, just went up and down, to try to see how this could possibly have happened."

Lake County sheriff's office spokesman Sgt. Christopher Thompson said Hunt has been charged with failure to reduce speed to avoid an accident.

Curran said the accident would be reconstructed as part of the investigation. Findings will be turned over to the Lake County state's attorney's office for a determination of whether additional charges are warranted, possibly by the end of the week.

"That's going to be the state's attorney's office call," Curran said. "They'll look at everything including the rate of speed."

Curran said there were no skid marks at the accident scene, where the speed limit is 55 mph.

No additional details about the accident are expected to be available until the end of the week when the investigation is finished and the case is turned over to the Lake County state's attorney's office, Thompson added.

Greg Zaffke now wears black nail polish to bring attention to the need for stricter penalties for people who hurt motorcyclists like his mom, according to ABC 7.

"I'm sure there are motorcycle groups who would like to hear about this story and potentially help us get the story out," he said.

"I'm sure there are motorcycle groups who would like to hear about this story and potentially help us get the story out," he said.

:angry:

:angry:

:huh: ....I'll try to copy 'n paste this to www.amadirectlink.com/rights ...hope it helps do some good for us... :outdoor:

I'm sure she is distraught...hope it haunts her to the end...every day, every night...she took someone's life........period.....she should be charged as such and sentenced as such......if it were a mandatory 5 years in the slammer with no time off for good behavior, it would onlt take a few times before folks would pay attention when driving......

and Scottdog.......hope life has been good to you......

I like RCH do not talk on my phone while on the bike, and refrain from talking in the car too.....I guess everyone needs hands free in the cars, so they can concentrate on the actual task at hand...driving.....

Its an old story. Happens every day and nothing happens to drivers who cause fatal accidents, cars or bikes or whatever. Maybe they plead out to vehicular manslaughter and get 6 months probation. As long as its not DUI, nobody goes to jail.

"Its just an accident."

I'm sure she is distraught...hope it haunts her to the end...every day, every night...she took someone's life........period.....she should be charged as such and sentenced as such......if it were a mandatory 5 years in the slammer with no time off for good behavior, it would onlt take a few times before folks would pay attention when driving......

and Scottdog.......hope life has been good to you......

I like RCH do not talk on my phone while on the bike, and refrain from talking in the car too.....I guess everyone needs hands free in the cars, so they can concentrate on the actual task at hand...driving.....

I am in favor of not talking on a cell phone while one is driving, period. It is not the fact that you have a phone held up to your ear that makes you dangerous, it is the fact that you are not concentrating on driving, you are concentrating on having a conversation on the phone instead. There is something about talking on a phone that causes one to have to concentrate more than if you were talking to someone in person, it seems.

If it is so important that you need to talk on the phone, pull over and do so. Simple, painless, and not dangerous to others.

I am in favor of not talking on a cell phone while one is driving, period. It is not the fact that you have a phone held up to your ear that makes you dangerous, it is the fact that you are not concentrating on driving, you are concentrating on having a conversation on the phone instead. There is something about talking on a phone that causes one to have to concentrate more than if you were talking to someone in person, it seems.

If it is so important that you need to talk on the phone, pull over and do so. Simple, painless, and not dangerous to others.

....I agree,Man.Got a response from the AMA Govt. Affairs person this morning,saying many members had also notified them.I asked LR to post it,asit had several links to pendinding legislation in in Illinois.

My old Mohawk friend,Roy Black,said it best to me years ago before his passing....'before you throw a leg over the saddle,keep in mind that THIS is the day that the bitch is gonna throw you and jump all over you...with tihs in mind,you MIGHT get back home safe to ride again'....Second chances of surviving a crash are few,third are near impossible.Ive 'had two.... :huh:

:huh: ....not sure if I got this over to post.The links probably don't work,but the message got through.

Dear Mr. Donelian:

Thanks for your message of concern regarding the May 2 motorcycle crash that killed Anita Zaffke. We have received numerous calls and messages about this tragedy.

In the article you forwarded, prosecutors complained about the gap in the law between a simple traffic offense and a felony reckless homicide charge. Two bills pending before the Illinois General Assembly would address that issue. I invite you to click on the links below to review the history and text of both bills.

IL HB-73 – Negligent Vehicular Homicide

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/billstatus...mp;SessionID=76

IL HB-904 – Negligent Vehicular Homicide

We’re also tracking distracted/inattentive driving legislation (see below). We’re monitoring about 300 of these bills nationwide, but so far, only a handful provide meaningful penalties for offenses that result in serious harm or death. Moreover, enforcement of most of these bills would be difficult, if not impossible, in my opinion.

IL HB-349 – Distracted Driving

IL SB-1694 – Distracted Driving

We’ll continue to track the news coverage of this case and report to our members what is happening. While it may take weeks or even months for authorities to bring appropriate charges against Lora Hunt, it’s imperative that a thorough investigation be completed and all the evidence turned over to the prosecutors.

Thanks again for contacting us and for your lifetime membership support of the AMA.

Sincerely,

Mr. Imre F. Szauter

Government Affairs Manager

American Motorcyclist Association

13515 Yarmouth Drive

Pickerington, OH 43147-8214

1 (800) AMA-JOIN

1 (614) 856-1900, ext. 1125