Indian Motorcycle Community

Kansas Biker Killed By Lightning

http://www.kansascity.com/679/story/1163354.html

A 45-year-old motorcyclist who was struck by lightning and killed Saturday in Jefferson County, Kan., was identified today as Troy Gentzler of Lawrence.

Jefferson County Sheriff Jeff Herrig said that Gentzler originally came from the Kansas City area.

Gentzler was with six other motorcyclists who belonged to Bikers Against Child Abuse when he was hit by lightning about 5 p.m. Saturday on U.S. 24 between Perry and Granville.

A man riding next to the victim, 35-year-old Michael Robinson, was treated and released at a Topeka hospital. No one else in the group was injured.

----------------------

RIP

Ya never know, do ya? Prolly never knew what hit him. Well, he died doing for others, gotta be a special place in heaven for such folks. RIP.

Wow.

I wonder what negative things he said about Obama...?

RIP.............

Thanx, D

Wow.

I wonder what negative things he said about Obama...?

RIP.............

Thanx, D

I must be next on the list!

Didn't know you could get hit while your riding. We rode through a big thunder storm last Saturday, Cheryl asked me if we could get hit by lightning and I said naw. I better rethink that.

Lightning storms are kinda scary sometimes.

I was out turkey hunting this past weekend, and a storm blew in. The rain didn't make me pull my decoys up and run, but the lightning sure did.

Once I cleared the woods, I had to run through a BIG open field, my arms full of hunting gear, with my shotgun slung over my shoulder and the barrell sticking up in the air. Everytime the thunder and lightning came, I'd get a boost of energy and run faster. I know if I got struck, I wouldn't know it until after the fact, but the faster I could get to my truck, the better.

I never rode through a thunder storm on a bike...I always pulled in to somewhere and waited 'em out.

I'll ride through rain, but if lightning is involved...I'm off the road.

I must be next on the list!

Didn't know you could get hit while your riding. We rode through a big thunder storm last Saturday, Cheryl asked me if we could get hit by lightning and I said naw. I better rethink that.

Oh yeah, Roger. We lose a rider or two to lightning every year or so. In 2003, a HD rider got killed up the mountain, and a few minutes later a rider got hit downtown (he lived). In '04, 2 girls on their rice burners were headed to the POW/MIA rally on Sunday and got hit. Both left the roadway and ended up at the bottom of a hundred or so foot drop. Dead before they left the road, per the coroner. There were other bikes on the road around them, and they were wearing full gear. Their time, unfortunately.

In 2006, we lost another rider.

What does the government advise? This, from the NOAA's National Weather Service:

"Motorcyclist/Bicyclist: So has anyone been hit riding a bike? Here are just a few real examples from the last few years.

Virginia Beach, VA: Motorcyclist killed while traveling on Route 58.

Altoona, PA: One motorcycle rider killed and three riders injured when they took shelter in a woods from a thunderstorm.

Wyoming: Motorcyclist injured while driving home on I-90 from Sturgis.

Taylor Park, CO: Dirt biker injured while heading down mountain pass.

Protect Yourself when on a bicycle, motorcycle or dirt bike.

Carry a portable Weather Radio or listen to commercial radio.

If you see threatening skies in the distance and you are passing a safe location, pull over and wait 30 minutes after the last thunder crack.

If you can turn around and get away from the storm, do so!

DO NOT ride into a lighting storm!

If you absolutely cannot get to a safe building or vehicle, here are some last resort choices:

Wait out the storm below an overpass. DO NOT touch steel girders. Move away from your bike. Remain on dry surfaces if possible. Overpasses are engineered structures and are likely to be properly grounded. Although an overpass is likely to be higher than the surrounding landscape, if it is struck by lightning, the electrical current will likely be channeled safely into the ground.

Look for a bridge. Stay away from water. Stay away from any metal surfaces. Be alert for rapidly rising water if under a bridge.

High tension wires: If high voltage electrical tension wires cross the road, you may want to seek shelter directly underneath these wires. Do not get too close to the large metal towers which hold up these wires. Stay at least 50 feet away. Electric companies design these high tension wires for lightning strikes. If lighting should strike the wires or towers, the current is designed to safely go deep into the ground.

If you are caught in the open and lightning is occurring within 5 miles, STOP riding, get off of your motorcycle/bicycle, find a ditch or other low spot and sit down.

Motorcyclists should move at least 50 feet away from their bike. Bicyclist should lay their bikes on the ground.

IMPORTANT: These recommendations are a last resort. You are NOT safe in these places just marginally safer than in the open."

Type lighting strikes motorcycle into google, if you are interested in seeing videos or reading more. If you feel the hair on your head or arms raising, duck!

Oh, and just for you, here: http://www.maniacworld.com/motorcycle-lightning-strike.html

And while this is a serious subject, check this out

. Sometimes the aftermath does have its own humor, as long as no one gets hurt..... Edited by falcon1

He was probably down at the Lake of the Ozarks on Sat. BACA had about 200 members down on the Bagnell Dam strip drinking and partying.

2 bb

http://www.kansascity.com/679/story/1163354.html

A 45-year-old motorcyclist who was struck by lightning and killed Saturday in Jefferson County, Kan., was identified today as Troy Gentzler of Lawrence.

Jefferson County Sheriff Jeff Herrig said that Gentzler originally came from the Kansas City area.

Gentzler was with six other motorcyclists who belonged to Bikers Against Child Abuse when he was hit by lightning about 5 p.m. Saturday on U.S. 24 between Perry and Granville.

A man riding next to the victim, 35-year-old Michael Robinson, was treated and released at a Topeka hospital. No one else in the group was injured.

----------------------

RIP

Hard to see the big picture why things happen sometimes but certainly makes a person wonder about fate!

Ya know it ALL depends on if it's your time. He was riding in a group and it hit him.......................just his time. Prayers to the family!

I truly believe that.

By the way, for those of you who believe it's the tires that protect, or ground you.....

Actually, your tires are an isolator, and even isolators can become conductors given sufficient voltage.

Many people have the 2 misconceptions below:

1. The tires are not grounded. You can not ground something using an isolator. The tires isolate the vehicle from the ground.

2. It's not the isolating effect that saves passengers. If the lightning jumps all the way from the clouds (actually, it jumps up, but that's a minor detail), that additional tiny jump between the chassis and the ground is nothing. What supposedly makes a car safe is that it works as a Faraday cage. This means that the charge is transfered through the outer surfaces of the cage, in the car that is the sheet steel, and not the insides. With motorcycles, there is no Faraday cage, so the charge is transferred through the riders/passengers.

Lightning can go up, and down.

It can pretty well do whatever the hell it wants to do.

And then there's ball lightning.. that is some WIERD stuff!

I think penicillin will take care of that :D

Lightning can go up, and down.

It can pretty well do whatever the hell it wants to do.

And then there's ball lightning.. that is some WIERD stuff!

No shit!! That used to happen to me all the time when I was young...... as I have gotten older.........not so much but the chicks dig it :lol:

Edited by paolabob

Whether we like it or not We are Numbered. We just don't know when that number is coming up. Thanking your higher power for another day is not a bad idea.