Indian Motorcycle Community

Mark "The Bird" Fidrych Passes

Mark "The Bird" Fidrych dies at 54

BOSTON – Former All-Star pitcher Mark "The Bird" Fidrych has been found dead in an apparent accident at his farm in Northborough, Massachusetts. He was 54.

Worcester County district attorney Joseph D. Early Jr. says a family friend found Fidrych about 2:30 p.m. Monday beneath a pickup truck. He appeared to be working on the truck, Early said.

The colorful right-hander was the American League rookie of the year in 1976 when he went 19-9 with a 2.34 earned run average. He spent all five of his major league seasons with the Detroit Tigers, compiling a 29-19 record and a 3.10 ERA.

His career was cut short by injuries.

Man I remember him, he was just so crazy and the tigers so lousy at the time and they just burned him out !

0424_large.jpg

When I was in Chiro college, I worked as a bouncer at a prominant disco on the Plaza in KC, and the Royals used to come down all the time. The Bird came in one night, caused a big fiasco, and we ended up throwing him out on the sidewalk on his ear. The Tigers called the next day and apologized. Hate to see him go out that way.

2 bb

When I was in Chiro college, I worked as a bouncer at a prominant disco on the Plaza in KC, and the Royals used to come down all the time. The Bird came in one night, caused a big fiasco, and we ended up throwing him out on the sidewalk on his ear. The Tigers called the next day and apologized. Hate to see him go out that way.

2 bb

I thought you caused the big fiasco, that's what the bird told me.