Indian Motorcycle Community

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One story I saw had this line:

"Initial reports indicate Phillips jumped overboard for a second time and the military was able to take advantage of the situation."

Translation: Captain jumps into ocean, Navy shoots pirates all to hell. :D

Love it.

Thank God, this country could NOT have taken one more hit along the lines of limp dick Jimmy Carter international crises management. To have billion dollar weapons platforms floating next to a fuckin rowboat with 4 Somalians with ak47's is an abomination that cannot be allowed to happen.

Simple for me at least, you declare a "no sail zone", just like the "no fly zone", and any unregistered, unauthorized vessel is sunk, period, end of story. Patrolled from the air, it's a turkey shoot on any piece of shit that comes off the coast of Somalia. Diplomacy my ass, I cannot beleive this has gone on this long, and shipping companies just keep paying ransom. This is interanational waters and piracy. Ya can kill em and let the sharks eat em, no one cares. Hell, I'd have decoy ships running up and down all day tempting them to get close and blow em outta the water. What has become of this world when the criminals have more rights than the victims?

anyway, rant over, glad he got out of it!

I agree! Time to quit being pussies when it comes to rescuing Americans. I was so worried that Obama wasn't going to let the Navy do their thing. Glad he found his balls.

Thank God, this country could NOT have taken one more hit along the lines of limp dick Jimmy Carter international crises management. To have billion dollar weapons platforms floating next to a fuckin rowboat with 4 Somalians with ak47's is an abomination that cannot be allowed to happen.

Simple for me at least, you declare a "no sail zone", just like the "no fly zone", and any unregistered, unauthorized vessel is sunk, period, end of story. Patrolled from the air, it's a turkey shoot on any piece of shit that comes off the coast of Somalia. Diplomacy my ass, I cannot beleive this has gone on this long, and shipping companies just keep paying ransom. This is interanational waters and piracy. Ya can kill em and let the sharks eat em, no one cares. Hell, I'd have decoy ships running up and down all day tempting them to get close and blow em outta the water. What has become of this world when the criminals have more rights than the victims?

anyway, rant over, glad he got out of it!

Good rant.

You said it all.

Can't believe we got more heartfelt comments in a shorter time on th' price of a'09 tail light than on th' rescue of this brave man. Makes ya wonder.

Can't believe we got more heartfelt comments in a shorter time on th' price of a'09 tail light than on th' rescue of this brave man. Makes ya wonder.

What I can't believe?

Looking at Google News I see in big print.

• Obamas Welcome New White House Dog
  • Obamas Attend Easter Services At St. Johns
  • Obama Reiterates Call for Cooperation
  • Obama Sees Signs of Econamic Progress

Then way down at the bottom in the Entertainment Section ye, the Entertainment Section is;

• Officials: Merchant sea captain saved from 'imminent danger'

Sad but true, this is nothing more than entertainment to some.

Me, I'm glad they lit up the pirates and killed 3 out of 4 of them.

Congratulations on your freedom Captain Phillips, and bravo for the heroism you displayed, not once when you offered yourself in place of your crew, not twice when you tried to escape the first time, but thrice when you escaped for the second time.

I'm with Aiken on this one, I see a need to "bait" theese piss-ants, Shoot the basterds & kick'em overboard for the sharks, What, Sharks need to eat too :buttrock:

We found out on our way home from my brother's....

pretty cool....

I hear the word hero thrown around a lot..

in this case, the Captain is a REAL hero, gave himself up for his crew, that's a captain and a hero...

hooora for the SEALS!

Hats off to Capt Phillips, it is refreshing to see that the idea of command is still alive, hats off to our military as well for ridding the world of three more terrorists.
:I-Agree[1]:

Well I guess Obama isn't completely passifict. He approved the kill.

THAT is the way it should have been conducted from the start.. with one difference...

they should have first put some holes in the boat. There is nothing like a leaky boat fifty miles out to sea to narrow one's options. Have seals in the water ( underwater ) to rescue the hostage, and only the hostage.

The pricacy syndicate ( for lack of a better title ) has vowed to kill all hostages from now on, if they are attacked. Another source voiced fear that it could embolden other foreign navies, and could possibly result in their villages being attacked ( by 20 inch guns ). I say good idea. Flatten a village for every hijacking.

This problem ain't complicated. It is our pussy footed politically correct government pussies that make it so.

I'm with Aiken on this one, I see a need to "bait" theese piss-ants, Shoot the basterds & kick'em overboard for the sharks, What, Sharks need to eat too :buttrock:

Yup. I haven't been able to figure out why all the Western navies haven't blockaded the entire Somalian coast and sunk every boat that leaves shore. Everyone knows where their bases are. OK, so we don' wanna infringe their 'sovereignty'. Liken Aiken says - if they hit international waters, it's huntin' season. For all the money the shipping companies have paid out in ranson, they could have done a Helluva lot better, INMNSHO, by putting a $100,000.00 bounty on every pirate, dead or alive ... dead. The pirates have had free rein for far too long.

An earlier report said the problem is that there's hundreds of legit fishing boats out there...

In my opinion, the problem is that the ransoms have been paid previously.

This ended with a great resolution...

per the Seals, they saw the agitated pirates--2 with their heads out of the boat? and 1 holding an AK on the captain and they assumed he was ready to shoot. 3 Seal snipers had shots, one through a window and took them. They got Presidential approval on Friday, and more resources committed on Saturday.

Pretty impressive from the back of a bouncing ship to another bouncing ship being towed..

the 4th pirate apparently had been wounded and was on the Navy ship--lucky him....

One comment...the Navy was towing and supplying the lifeboat...I would have checked the Captain's med records.. had food/water spiked with something that would knock everyone out..screw the pirates if they are allergic to whatever was put in the food..maybe don't spike the first deliver, or make it a timed release mechanism or something..

then rescue the Captain, arrest or let the pirates swim the 30mi to shore and never divulge how the rescue occured, so the method can be used again..

Of course, a strategic take down sends a message also.. in the short term a few captives may feel the brunt of that, but in the long term i suspect US ships will be safer.

Thanks to all those that made good, brave decisions..had that gone bad, they'd never hear the end of it (think Iran hostage rescue attempt)

eric

One story I saw had this line:

"Initial reports indicate Phillips jumped overboard for a second time and the military was able to take advantage of the situation."

Translation: Captain jumps into ocean, Navy shoots pirates all to hell. :D

Love it.

obviously a fox news report..haha

eric

many times the pirates are carried out to shipping channels by mother ships.....then they go off in their outboard boats to raid the ships usually with no resistance....sometimes the crews are never found....while most of the time the ransoms are paid...and the ships are left to drift at sea unless the cargo is worthwhile and they repaint the name and such and then take it to a cooperative port for unloading to black market.

a couple ships with 20 or more well armed military types to WELCOME them when they pull alongside the ships for boarding would do nicely.....chum the waters with the bastards. Then go to coast of kenya and somalia.....and bomb that pirate leaders compounds. From what I saw over there maybe less than 1% of the nice lavish homes are legit....the rest is all shanty towns of canvas, tarps, boards and such with nothing much over on story tall. Most of the rich and lavish places are owned by warlords or pirate leaders...

Paul could that be because this is a motorcycle forum? I'm glad he is free. I thought it went on waaaaaaay too long. Was waittin for Obama to step on his dick but seems someone talked him into right way to end this.

Edited by Vintageroger

What I'm thinking is that now that the pirates say "No Prisoners" it would be foolish not to protect your ship. If I was a captain that had to travel this route, you'd bet your ass I'd have a security detail on board, or at least arm and train my crew...That's the optimum thing to do...why wait for the government solution? The seals can't be everywhere.

So, I still don't get just how a few "pirates" on a POS homemade fishing sampan with a few AK-47's can take over a commercial cargo ship. Isn't there anybody watching? No armed guards? No weapons knowing the dangers of the area? No defense preparations on these ships knowing that the waters off Somalia is at risk for this?

What do they do? Sail up alongside and yell "pull over"? Seems to me they should not even let these little boats get close.

Damn, I'm confused.

Yeah, how freaking hard can it be to defend your ship from a little boat?

These fuckers are bullies. They wouldn't know how to operate against an armed force.

Just picture the scene if, when they spray the boat or fire into the air, they are resonded by a ten-gun salvo of ten guage, or 30.06. Hell, it would't take many 30.06 holes in your keel to put you in some serious trouble.

There's something in the maritime laws about the inspection process at each harbor being entirely different for ships carrying arms and "unarmed merchant cargo ships". Whole different set of time consuming regulations and inspections. That is why most all cargo ships are "unarmed".

Time to change some regulations.

Or just tell the receivers, If ya want the cargo, we're carryin'.

most ships only have weapons for the officers to prevent a mutinous crew from taking over the cargo.....not for defending ships against pirates.

I would have some weapons put on board even if they are riot shotguns and specify a certain percentage of crew as guards....if traveling in waters with known pirate activity then weapons come out and post lookouts for their support ships or their outboard motored boats...

Most crews wont fight the pirates anyhow and just give up as soon as they are boarded with no violence.....wait for the millions in ransom to be paid and then move along. The US Crew was the first ones to fight back and retake their ship. They had even captured a pirate and worked a trade of him for Captain..but pirates did not hold up their end of trade...imagine that.

Until they go over and start blasting them at their compounds and in the water...it wont stop.

What I'm thinking is that now that the pirates say "No Prisoners" it would be foolish not to protect your ship. If I was a captain that had to travel this route, you'd bet your ass I'd have a security detail on board, or at least arm and train my crew...That's the optimum thing to do...why wait for the government solution? The seals can't be everywhere.

So, I still don't get just how a few "pirates" on a POS homemade fishing sampan with a few AK-47's can take over a commercial cargo ship. Isn't there anybody watching? No armed guards? No weapons knowing the dangers of the area? No defense preparations on these ships knowing that the waters off Somalia is at risk for this?

What do they do? Sail up alongside and yell "pull over"? Seems to me they should not even let these little boats get close.

Damn, I'm confused.

I've read a bit about this over the past few years - Somalia gets all the ink because they've added the ransom wrinkle, but there are pirates operating all over the world. Most of the other acts of piracy are good old fashioned armed robbery - hijack the boat to get the cargo and sell it on the black market.

Check out this 'live piracy map' that shows all reported piracy attacks so far in 2009:

Live Piracy Map

The Straight of Malacca in the South China Sea, and the Luzon Straight in the Phillipines are two chronically pirated areas.

The problem with huge freighters, like tankers, is that they are so automated that the crew required to operate them is minimal. Even if they put everyone on guard duty, those monsters are so big that there's always a huge area that's unmonitored. One modus operandi is to sneak up to the ship by small craft, and board it without being detected. They then either pick off the crew, or go straight to the bridge. Sometimes they are fought off, usually not.

Unless it's a European or American ship, we never hear about it over here. In Asia, it's a centuries old industry and a commonplace.