Indian Motorcycle Community

From yesterdays wall street jounal...

As reported in the Wall Sreet Journal:

--------

MEDIA & MARKETING  

COMPANIES - Dow Jones, Reuters

Indian Motor Cycle Company (IMCC) General Motors (GM)

Headline:  GM Buys Indian Motorcycle Trademark And I.P.:

By ETHAN SMITH

Staff Reporter of THE WALL STREET JOURNAL

March 31, 2004; Page B1

After months of due diligence, GM has inked a deal which could finally lead to the first major threat to Harley Davidsons strangle hold on the big vtwin motorcycle market.

But while this comeback seems sudden, it was hardly spontaneous.

The Indian Mortorcycle Company, in its various versions, has produced motorcycles since 1901.  IMC burst back on the scene in 1999 but stopped production in 2003.

In that short period of time, loyal Indian owners bought 14,981 motorcycles.  Spending anywhere from 10% to 25% over and above the cost of a similar Harley Davidson.

Yet as recently as December, the 5-year-old company looked like a has-been. IMC had become the object of curiosity, if not outright ridicule, thanks in part to poor warranty repair history and reliability issues.  

But it was the cash flow problems that took it's toll on IMC's ability to survive.  A stagering $8,675,309 was paid to only 13 company executives for 2002.

GM states the move wil enable them to possible follow two different directions.  The first being a restart of the current models already designed, and in dealer showrooms as soon as Jan05.  The second would consist of using the strong branding image of the IMC trademark to focus more sales of SUV's, minivans and pickup trucks.  GM points to the success of the Ford/Harley Davidson venture.

GM says the brand will need a stronger marketing effort, adding that the trademark is quite possible the most undervalues find of the century.

Critics who initially praised IMC's motorcycles, also seemed to have turned on them. The new 2004 models were largely ignored by critics. Among the few American publications that reviewed the motorcycles, the Peterson published "MotorCyclist" magazine and Web site, In its reviews derided the IMC offerings were the "least-essential mtorcycles of 2004."  

A comeback like this "doesn't just happen," says Ronnie Lippin, a veteran motorvehicle whom GM has hired to lay the groundwork. GM has apperently decided to be more flexible within the industry if they are going to reach a greater target audience.

This has included consumer focus groups reviewing possible versions of Indian theme SUV's, minivans, and pickup trucks.

Getting back to the mainstream radar screen may require some aggressive moves. "It is far from a casual process, and the Indian name is the primary force driving everything," Mr. Lippin says.

Before securing this new deal with IMC, GM officials were said to have met with several executives to discuss signing with them. Among the high-profile executives he talked with: Bruce Lundvall, retired head of BMW North America.

"Indian will be back.  It has been an american icon, And it deserves to stay.  It was away long enough," Mr. Krim says.

Write to Ethan Smith at ethan.i.smith@wsj.com

Sources: General Motors Internal Development Department, Indian Motorcycle Corporation, Audax Group, WSJ research team.

-------------

Is this good or bad?

Thanks, Danny

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Another April fools joke :tear2:

The article came out YESTERDAY...

I don't know about anyone else - But the last thing I want to see - Is a Chief Mini-Van...

Thanks, Danny

...these jokes are beyond cruel...especially with our beloved Indians.

...too bad though..cuz the Dupont family once owned Indian and GM....it would be putting it back in the family again...

fuck April Fools...I hate this day! :tear2:

And anudder thang, that "article" is riddled with typos and some poor grammar unbecoming of a WSJ report. Plus the topper is that this is much more unbelievable because you have to have a subscription to WSJ to read their articles.....that means most no one can verify or easily deny this.

Clever, but no cheroot.

-ANT

FC...I'm with you...for those of us who have been around since the birth of the IIRA, and who own early models (we really have been around awhile), it is disheartening that our fellow tribe members could be so thoughtless. Wake up folks...if you don't know then dammit, keep your pie holes shut about the rebirth of Indian.

There is no article on page B1 (the section titled "Marketplace") for Wednesday, March 31 in the Wall Street Journal on IMC or GM . . . there is an article by Ethan Smith on the artist formerly and once again known as "Prince" . . . but I don't remember him riding an Indian.

There is no article on page B1 (the section titled "Marketplace") for Wednesday, March 31 in the Wall Street Journal on IMC or GM . . . there is an article by Ethan Smith on the artist formerly and once again known as "Prince" . . . but I don't remember him riding an Indian.

Thanks Bob!!!!

Now we got the straight shit  :bvictory:

Prince bought Indian :bsplit:

maybe that purple cat in the hat Indian is prince's...

eric

I emailed the author to see if this was legit...I'll post any reply I may receive.

OK...this is what I just got back:

Your message

To:      ethan.i.smith@wsj.com

Subject: IMC-GM article

Sent:    Thu, 1 Apr 2004 15:48:45 -0500

did not reach the following recipient(s):

c=US;a= ;p=dowjones;o=Secaucus;dda:SMTP=ethan.i.smith@wsj.com; on Thu, 1 Apr

2004 15:50:05 -0500

The recipient name is not recognized

The MTS-ID of the original message is: c=us;a=

;p=dowjones;l=SECMXSCON010404012050H24RFA7H

MSEXCH:IMS:dowjones:Secaucus:SECMXSCON01 0 (000C05A6) Unknown Recipient

And after cutting and pasting - And changing "Prince" to "Indian" - And changing "Sony" to "GM" -

Do you really think I didn't change the email address?

Hey fungus -  :cry: - Go sit at the little people table...

The adults are trying to have fun.

:rotfl:

Thanks, Danny

Danny,

Shouldn't you be doing something more contructive with all this extra time on your hands...like making certain we hit platinum record sales by the end of the month?

:laughlong:

Your CD "Reach-Around Boys" is doing just fine.

Butt we do need to set a schedule for the video...

Thanks, Danny

FC...I'm with you...for those of us who have been around since the birth of the IIRA, and who own early models (we really have been around awhile), it is disheartening that our fellow tribe members could be so thoughtless. Wake up folks...if you don't know then dammit, keep your pie holes shut about the rebirth of Indian.

using an icon such as" INDIAN" for jokes needs to stop!

if you do not have pride in indian ,sell your bike and stay the hell off that damn keyboard!

stephen standinghawk

Aw come on guys, it was just a joke (although a sick one) on a subject that we have learned not to readily bite on anymore.

Keep your humor, after all that will last longer than Indian MC companies do.

Hey SquatingChicken -

I've spent $40,000 between two Indians - Because I love the bikes.

So your "icon" BS doesn't wash here...

If you guys can't handle the jokes - Take the day off.

And go share some Midol...

Thanks, Danny

Or better yet, share a bottle of really good scotch like Danny and I do and you'll be much happier.

OK...this is what I just got back:

Your message

To:      ethan.i.smith@wsj.com

Subject: IMC-GM article

Sent:    Thu, 1 Apr 2004 15:48:45 -0500

did not reach the following recipient(s):

c=US;a= ;p=dowjones;o=Secaucus;dda:SMTP=ethan.i.smith@wsj.com; on Thu, 1 Apr

2004 15:50:05 -0500

The recipient name is not recognized

The MTS-ID of the original message is: c=us;a=

;p=dowjones;l=SECMXSCON010404012050H24RFA7H

MSEXCH:IMS:dowjones:Secaucus:SECMXSCON01 0 (000C05A6) Unknown Recipient