Indian Motorcycle Community

How do you feel about your indian mc?

I have just recently joined this forum so I am "WAY BEHIND" on all that has been discussed here.  So please bear with me.

I have tried to read a lot of the posts concerning the IMC closing and also checked out some of the technical and advise forums, etc.... ther's lots to read here.

As an Indian owner ('03 Scout) I really have a heavy-heart about IMC not being able to keep its doors open.

Since I was a kid I have always been an Indian MC lover.  So when latest IMC started making MC's again in Gilroy I knew it was just a matter of time before I purchased one.

When I purchased my Indian last fall I was "NOT" able to even ride a motorcycle due to having spinal surgery to correct some dislocated discs in my upper spine last summer.  

The Doc said "no riding until Spring"

So while I was recovering from my surgery my wife decidied that she did not want to be a passenger anymore .... but a rider....and took the V-Star Classic that I had just purchased prior to my surgery.

To make my long story "shorter".... after getting back on my feet following my surgery I started looking for another bike to replace the V-Star.  

Originally I planned to buy a new DRIFTER figuring that if I couldn't "afford" an Indian at least I would have a bike that resembeled one.  

Then little by little I kept feeling the "pull" of the "Indian" inside me and decided "the hell with it" and bought the Scout instead.

I still have yet to ride my new Scout.... "Spring" is just around the corner so I am really getting anxious to ride my new Indian for the 1st time.

Over the winter months I have been busy puttin' on some aftermarket goodies..... unsweep SAMSON FISHTAILS (straights - loud) 8" Cyclesmith DRAG BARS, Warpath Indian head covers, Ness tach & oil pressure gauge and a "hand-tooled" leather seat.  

It's quite the looker!  It sure will stand out in the crowd amoung all those Harley's!!!  Ha!!!!

So even though I haven't ridden it yet I have been busy "lovin' this Indian of mine". :couple:

So.... after owning (and riding) your Indian for a while what are your impressions of it?

Are you sorry you bought one?

Any major problems or things I should do or look out for?

I am very anxious to ride but also very anxious to find out more about this bike that I own.  

This forum seems like the right place to find out.

Thanks for all replies.

Spring was on 3/21/04, it is now 3/25/04! GO RIDE IT!

Long story short:

Ownded my 01 Spirit since December 01. Had a bad experience with all the dealerships I ended up using due to stupid SH*T that they all did at one time or another. Since I started to wrench the bike my self, no more problems!

Bottom line I too looked at Drifters, and was tempted by the price difference. I am glad I found the cash to make up the difference the Indian cost. I will never sell her!

Very glad to own my Indian!

Welcome to the forum from one Pa. rider to another.

BB

Welcome aboard and happy wrenching!   :D   I LOVE my chief.  I bought mine after black Friday and don't regret it one bit.  The only thing I get pissed about is the cost for accessories and parts.  I hated HD for the same reason but Indian is worse.  I usually fab my own shit, do without, or shop for a loooong time.  The good people here have been the BEST source for parts, advice, and general good-willed ribbing.  I'm almost done with it thanks to these good people and look forward to the best riding season I've ever had.  Have fun on your new ride!! :nod:  :nod:

I wouldn't trade, or sell my 2000 Chief for anything. IMC, and dealers both have done some pretty stupid things. I have just started to wrench on my bike as well. With the right manuals, and torque specs, you can do almost anything.

Welcome,

I own a 2001 Indian scout & I love it.

She is my baby. Turns heads where ever we go.

Dont regret it at all. The shop I have delt with are a bunch of great guys also always treated me right & still do, If you got a chance stop bye and say hi to the guys down here at San Jose Indian.

I bought a new Chief in mid 2000 and totally regretted it. Although it was a work of art it was a miserable SOB for riding. I traded it for a Scout in early '01 & won't part with the Scout until I'm too old to ride it & have to move to a gezer glide.

No looking back!  Being almost alone up here in Canada with only one confirmed Indian within 250 miles, you accept the fact that you may end up with problems.   I'm used to wrenching my old Brit Iron, so a modern v-twin is almost the same.  

This forum is the life-saver!  There is almost always someone here who has experienced some problem that you will encounter.  If you are the first, then everyone here will help..and if not in the Public forum, there is always the Member's forum.

We're all brothers and sisters, and we all love to ride.  And as one notable member would say " We don't need no stinkin' factory"

Welcome to the wonderful world of Indians!

The Doc said "no riding until Spring"

I'm shocked that Doc would say something like that. What was he thinking??

Dealers may come and go, factories may come and go, but my Indian will always be in my stable.

It's just that simple. :bthumb:

If I could get enough out of my 2002 Chief to get into a new bike, I would be seriously considering a Triumph Rocket III or a Kawasaki Vulcan 2000.

I don't think that's going to happen, so I guess I'll just make the best out of a bad situation.

Sorry to hear about the back problems. Hopefully, you will be riding that brand new scoot very soon.

From what I have seen, most people (including myself) chose an Indian as they either really liked the styling, wanted to stand out from the crowd, or a bit of both. I looked hot and heavy at both the HD softail deuce, and the night train, but I HATE how commercial HD has become. Every swinging dick out there now has a Harley. There really is nothing cool IMHO about owning a Harley anymore. After looking at the Indian Scout vs. the deuce/night train, it just seemed like you were getting more bang for your buck (and less $$ at that) with the scout. More chrome, more appealing OEM parts, and the S&S motor was a big sell. It is easier to stand out from the crowd on an Indian. I enjoy that the core indian riders are a much smaller group than the HD guys. Much more personal. Anyhow, there you have it, my .02 in a nutshell. Take care...-DD Out

I lurked around this forum for a good 6 months asking questions etc, before buying my 2003 Chief on the very day IMC closed its doors. I was in a similiar situation #1 I hadn't riden a motorcycle since the 9th grade (26 yrs ago), #2 I never had a motorcycle license, #3 I just had reconstructive knee surgery. So when I picked up my Chief I was on crutches and without a license. My Chief sat in the garage for several months till I could ride her. I now have 1050 miles and the bitch runs strong. My Chief gets looks everywhere I go, especially by HD riders! I don't ever plan on parting with my Chief. This forum is your best resource of information on any Indian. Ride that bitch and don't look back. Welcome to the forum. Ride Safe, AW

Welcome -  I bought an 03 Spirit Deluxe in July of 03 - what a beautiful bike (aren't all Indians ?).  It was already a head turner, then I lowered it, and had an Andrews cam installed, and had a set of Boss Bags  on it (loved the mounting on these,easy on easy off).

Always got compliments on the bike, and it ran great (except for that damn relay which was fixed).

Decided to trade it in on an 03 Springfield Chief in Feb of 04, and there's no looking back.  Definately a head turner, factory lowering kit on it, RJ Hard Bags, core baffle kit, and a war bonnet air cleaner.  The bike gets nothing but compliments.  

The dealer  I go to is great, great service, great staff.  

Enjoy your ride, I know I get much enjoyment from mine.  :D

Never looked at a drifter to own one, just out of curiosity...I love my bike...Had major problems for the first 2 years or so, but everythings worked out now (I hope)...I can say that it's never left me stranded on a long trip, but it has close to home...I was luckier than most Chief owners on here as I got mine brand new for only $17,598.000...Right now she's in the shop, but only to get goodies added...Would I do it again? Maybe, probably, I can't honestly say...

Pa-IndianRider-

Hey bro, i was once a Keystone state citizen, graduated high school in Corry Pa. in "77" and moved on, been in Calif. for 25 years now. Now getting back to your thread, i like yourself bought my Indian post meltdown. I entered into the world of Indian ownership with my eyes wide open knowing the history and associated problems, my heart had been set on a new hardley untill i went to San Jose with the wife one afternoon for a smuckers stars on ice event at the convention center which was down the street from San Jose Indian, we had some time to kill prior to the show so we went in to have a look see at the other v-twin manufacturer, i was mesmerised by the beauty and sculpted lines of the Indian line, by the time i got back home i knew i would own an Indian. We were waiting for the 04 line to come out before we purchased but much to our dismay about two months later the factory went down, to make a long story shorter i ended up buying a 2000 Chief from a private party and i would never give it up, it was love at first sight, and i am now the President of Californias newest chapter of the Iron Indian Riders Association called....

"California's Central Valley Chapter". I love my Chief and the IIRA, the brotherhood here is an amazing network of gifted and talented people who will go the extra mile to make sure you have what you need, this my man is something you cant put a price tag on, try finding that in the hd community......

Well i said to make a long story shorter but when it comes to the brothers and sisters of the IIRA i could go on and on......all i can say is you moved into the right neighborhood and are welcome by all.......Ride safe...

Kirk Out.............. :bvictory:  :bvictory:  :bvictory:  :bhi:

I was looking for a roadking and came across a good deal on a 02 scout so we got it for my wife was real surprised how strong it ran with both of us on it we have 3000 miles on it with no problems well now I want it but she is not going for it so I guess I have to get my own Indian.

Good riding  :cppl1

:o  Bought my 01 Spirit in 02 put 15thousand miles on her had minor problems only left me standed 7miles from the shop(They came and got me). In 03 bought a RoadmasterChief had many problems, put just shy of 15thousand on I call her Tawanda because we like ta wander around. She has never left me stranded accept starter going on side of road in Wall SD.(4thousand miles in 9 days). I Love my Indians, the more i ride them the better they get. Hey there machines, ride the piss out of them and when they break fix em...My 2cents...Catfish :moped:

Bought my 01 scout in july of 01. When i saw it at the dealership I fell in love and bought her. It took me two weeks before I told my wife but thats a whole other story. Will not ever sell her. Will probably give to my boy one day but he's only 7 right now so I figure I got another 40 years of riding it.

Absolutly no regrets. And welcome Its always good to see another indian rider.

Al

I have a 2001 Chief, there is nothing like it. I originally got on a waiting list for a Fat Boy. When I saw the Chief, I cancelled the Fat Boy. It sure turns heads. I have had no problems with it except for a starter replacement.

When it's time to find out the devine secret......It will be passed down in the family. I will never get rid of it! Awesome!! :bvictory:

OOOPS! one more thing.

If I had a Harley I'd give it to a thief

and with the insurance money

I'd buy an Indian Chief!

An old 1930's Springfield Mass. "Wig Wam" Proverb! :joker:

Started on dirt bikes - Then four sport bikes - Then the two V-Max's - Then three HD's.

Now we each have our Indians.  My Chief (Soon to be back...) and the wife's Scout.

Bought my Chief in August - And when IMC closed - I was just happy to have mine.  Didn't really care either way.

But now I have a different perspective.

After riding the Scout - I realize how great ALL the bikes are - And fully understand what a shame it is that IMC closed.

I've had my share of issues - But they pale in comparison to the enjoyment and satisfaction I feel when riding them.

In fact - I already have the piano sized casket picked out - So I can be buried on the Chief...

Thanks, Danny

Would I do it again. Hell Yes!! Love the looks of the bike an the looks it get crusin dowm the road,just be ready to talk to a lot of folks when ya stop to strech the legs. Even with the problems I've had with my "00",that can all be worked out,there ain't no way it will ever be up for sale untill I can't ride any more.

Archived