Indian Motorcycle Community

Motorcycle accident right next to me....

Man..i'm leaving karate earlier than usual...all of a sudden these crotch rockets start zooming past me in the other two lanes (i'm in far left) dodging in and out of traffic....i watch one group--first two riders make if from far right to middle to far right in between two cars...third rider looses his nerve and doesn't make it until the car in lane three slows...

next group zoom by in and out...damn! it's bike nite..gotta go get wiggy...

then the next group start going from middle to far left (my lane) back to middle around cars..several pass me then all of a sudden i see (didn't hear it) a bike near the front right of my trooper and there's a car in front and he looks like he's trying to get in front of me.. damn front end gets way loose and then i see the bike go down and the rider is sliding then the bike starts to slide away from him as he slows...he was sliding and tumbling like a fish in the bottom of a boat...

i stop....

rider is not in the road....(i didn't feel any bumps??) bike is DESTROYED....nice looking crotch rocket (couldn't tell the make)...nitros kit, etc....had to be 7 gallons of oil, cuz it was all over the road..

anyhoots...rider gets up and was on the side of the road....rear of helmet was fucked ($800 helmet per the guy that sells 'em who was behind us)...rider seemed ok....cops where at a restaurant on the side of the road so they were there instantly..

here's why i don't have any pics...

my version is he fucked up speeding (got no problem with that), and zooming between cars (got a problem with that)..

the rider says he was cut off by the car in the middle lane...a couple others said that too, only after the rider said it...cops said i could leave and not be in the report in the middle of a mess....so i did.

maybe he was cut off and i just didn't see it..don't know, but don't think so..

anyway....was interesting...

eric

It's dangerous enough -

Without riding like an asshole...

Eventually he will learn -

If not -

It's just God's way of thinning the herd...

Thanks, Danny

Darwin Awards are given out every day...

:Feet-Up[1]:

It's dangerous enough -

Without riding like an asshole...

Eventually he will learn -

If not -

It's just God's way of thinning the herd...

Thanks, Danny

:I-Agree[1]::buttrock::I-Agree[1]:

Amen

I'm not one to tell someone else how to ride, but North American riding sucks donkey dick most days. Without a doubt the most entertaining riding I did was on the other side of the world. None of this waiting in rush-hour traffic for 10 light-change cycles - you just ride to front of the line, between cars. Cops on bikes, couriers on bikes, bikers on bikes - it's the accepted practice. Lane-splitting at highway speeds wasn't legal but we did it all the time and traffic generally parted, not that you need the extra room.

Was it aggressive? Risky? Hell yes, but then driving anything over there was kinda like that :D Ever since I've been back in Canada, riding kinda sucks.

Hey...I agree that americans' way of thinking about driving sucks.....driving slow in the left high speed lane.....pulling out in front of people, not getting the hell out of the high speed lane when you have a mile of traffic backed up behind you...and we all wonder why there's road rage.....some of the folks out there driving should just be plain shot on sight....no questions asked.....

Gotta agree about the "fuckheads in the fast lane", if they would start writing some tickets for that shit, most of the road rage would go away. A lot of them do it on purpose, must be the only time they have any "control" over others in their little lives. Bad part in CA is, they don't educate drivers that they shouldn't do that- and they're pretty cheap with the "Slower Traffic Keep Right" signs- some have no idea that there's a driving lane and a passing lane. Nothing wrong with being Pokey Joe- just get in the Pokey Joe lane. One funny thing, every time you get stuck behind one, and come to a yellow light that goes red, they'll run it like they're in a hurry.

Where I grew up in New York, you were taught to drive in the right lane, and pass in the left, then get back in the right lane- never saw any road rage, and people looked at you funny if you were parked in the fast lane. It's the same way when you cross the Oregon border, right away you see the sign- "Slower Traffic Keep Right"- and they enforce it with paper. Never saw any road rage there either.

Had a good one last year on my way to meet up with the bunch to go on the Redwood Run. Got stuck behind a 7-axle low-bed carrying a big CAT scraper on the two lane west of Napa, lots of up and down and twists, during commute hour no less. There's a long, uphill passing lane that's a big relief from that stuff, and the low-bed pulled over, and the old redneck in a Ranger in front of me pulled around, and slowed down and kept pace with the truck- arm up on the back of the seat, grinning in the mirror, had at least 30 cars backed up behind him, and loving every minute of it. I faked to the centerline, he moved over to make sure I couldn't pass, and I cut to the right and blasted by to freedom in between. Got to the top, and saw red lights about 4 cars back- a CHP had been there the whole time, stuck in the same mess. Runs up, pulls me over, then flags down Dickhead- who gets out grinning, and says "yessir, Officer, if you need me to testify i'd be happy to, that guy's driving like a maniac". Chippie says, "Save it, I was right behind you, and saw what you did, purposely holding up all those people, including me- I was close enough to see you grinning in the mirror- I'll get to you in a minute". Dickhead looked like a balloon pricked with a needle- no more grinning :rotfl: Chippie turns to me, not too safe, yessir, not too safe- he says, "Are you going on the Redwood Run?" Little grin on the corner of his mouth- "Yessir, I am" "You're gonna take it easy on the way, aren't you?" "Oh, yessir, real easy" Big grin, " Get the hell out of here" OK, yessir, don't need to tell me twice. As I get ready to leave, he tells Dickhead, "License and registration, please" and opens up his ticket book. Looks at me, says "Are you still here? I got this" I ride off thinking THERE IS A GOD :Score-101010[1]:

Now, that's the way it's s'posed to be.

Keeping to the right isn't just polite, its the law in New York. I actually was ticketed once in my younger days for not getting into the right lane soon enough after passing some slower traffic. No rule like that here in California, wish there was.

Keeping to the right isn't just polite, its the law in New York.

TICKETABLE LAW IN oREGON AS WELL

I'm not one to tell someone else how to ride, but North American riding sucks donkey dick most days. Without a doubt the most entertaining riding I did was on the other side of the world. None of this waiting in rush-hour traffic for 10 light-change cycles - you just ride to front of the line, between cars. Cops on bikes, couriers on bikes, bikers on bikes - it's the accepted practice. Lane-splitting at highway speeds wasn't legal but we did it all the time and traffic generally parted, not that you need the extra room.

Was it aggressive? Risky? Hell yes, but then driving anything over there was kinda like that :D Ever since I've been back in Canada, riding kinda sucks.

You're just in the wrong North American country.

Legal in California

Keeping to the right isn't just polite, its the law in New York. I actually was ticketed once in my younger days for not getting into the right lane soon enough after passing some slower traffic. No rule like that here in California, wish there was.

TICKETABLE LAW IN oREGON AS WELL

Same in CA, the CHP just don't enforce it.

I got a bit of a scare today myself...took Marge for a spin...get off of I-10 onto Highland road...was the natural high water boundary for the Mississippi--long, slow curves--you know, the easy part of the ride home..

well, some asshole in a pickup decided the high side of this particular curve looked better than his lane and tried to share it with me...he was coming straight at me....i had to push over, got a bit of a wiggle in the front end and nearly went off the top of the curve...didn't shake me till i realized i was almost flying over a ditch....ya just never know..

eric

I'm glad your ok Eric. I had a similiar experience last night. My wife and I were returning from dinner on the Chief, I went into a yellow light, a SUV came out into the intersection and saw us coming and STOPPED. I stood on the brakes, untill the back end started to come around and let up I almost got around it but hit the rear quarter panel of the SUV. I estimate the impact at between 5-15 MPH. Damage, my wife Deryl's leg slightly burned, I'm somewhat stiff and sore on the left side. I was not issued a ticket, nor was the other driver,SUV needs work, for sure a rear bumper.I rode the bike home, I went out to the shop today and looked in the sunlight and I cannot see any visual damage to the Chief, not a scratch. We were extremly lucky. I am glad I added the crash bars to the bike. I guess it was my turn. Over 30 years of riding with no mishaps.

Close call. "Could have been worse" factor only goes up from there.

Glad all are OK. Great safety record. I've been riding a long time but I have had a few big problems over the years.

Thanks MIB, the more I reflect on the thing, the more I see how it could've been much worse. I'm gonna say I'm glad I was on the Chief, it responded in a tight spot. If I was on my 79 Lectra Glide, I'd be in the hospital. I still can't figure why those Central Aisian people stopped in the intersection and gawked at us. If they would've kept moving it would've never happened.

• 2 weeks later...