Indian Motorcycle Community

Damn. Double Damn

:1106: Started with my cell phone taking an unauthorized vacation. I'm not sure just where it is at the moment (and I almost don't care...) but it would be nice to get it back. I suspect the 2' tall midget that looks remarkably like me knows something about this.

Opened up my laptop at work on Thursday and it started acting a bit sluggish. Normal thing to do when your machine has been up for days - re-boot it. Shut down like normal, then wouldn't fire up again. 4 years of spreadsheets, solid models and priceless collection of engine-related information gleaned from countless sources - gone. And 900 contacts ranging from the window-washers to super-rich Middle Eastern Sheiks. Backed up? Fuck you.

Jumped in my oil-smoking, plug-eating Krautmobile for the drive home and promptly broke the driver's seat base off the track.

Fuckity fuck fuck.

Aw well - didn't need that shit anyway. [/ :1106: ]

I would like to give you a hard time but that is pretty fucked up.

Now, with all that info you really did do, at least, weekly backups ... right? :huh:

My most recent backup was from September.

I know I know...I don't have any excuses. I have the laptop's drive plugged into my server and Findpart is working hard to sort out what's happenning on it. There does appear to still be information on the drive, but I can't access it directly (server asks if I'd like to format it!).

I know I know...I don't have any excuses. I have the laptop's drive plugged into my server and Findpart is working hard to sort out what's happenning on it. There does appear to still be information on the drive, but I can't access it directly (server asks if I'd like to format it!).

I'd day no.

I had an important hard drive fusk up at work and a local data recovery company was able to get all the important data off of it. Not cheap but you may need to go that way. And each time you fireit up you will lessen the amount they are able to recover.

I had a similar problem with my puter,...took it to BestBuy for the fix,....it turned out that windows couldn't read the info & it was all was there,...I bought a new puter,...added the old hard drive & the new puter windows could read all the info,...a simple fix,...I tranfered all the info to the new drive & still have the old for a back-up.

BTW,...the Chiefs running fine for now,...changed the 22.5 pilot for a 25,...adjusted the pump rod,..float level was OK and changed the needle from a 98 to a 97 with the washer on the center clip,...plus a major carb cleaning.

I love the Chief,...the Road Star feels awkward to me after riding the Chief. It loves the twisties. :Score-101010[1]:

IHTH John

hoook drive up to another computer and access it as file drive only not boot drive....i have done it many times.

IIIII had a little sweetie

A litlle sweetie named Sue

She fuckity fuck fuck me

But then she fuckity fuck fuck you

You too

You too

She fuckity fuck

She fuckity fuck

She fuckity fuck you too

I had (have) the drive connected to my server as a file-drive only but it's not the laptop that's the problem, it's the drive itself. Windows 2k would like to format the drive for me as it feels it's empty. As mentioned, Findpart (a beautiful freeware program) located the drive and suggested it had intact information but that was as far as I got last time. Now it's found and copied all my excel files onto my server, and is now working on the remaining files. Crossing my fingers.

I've had a couple of those USB jump drives but they never seem very reliable. Always seem to get mucked up after using them a short time.

I'm going to leave it sit and do it's thing and in the meantime I'm off to the Father's Day Funny Car Classic with my year and half old son. It's his first time out watching the nitromethane cars run so he's either going to be scared to death and scarred for life, or completely enthralled (and scarred for life). :D

Happy Father's Day to all you Dads.