Indian Motorcycle Community

Abu Musab al-Zarqawi Killed in U.S. Air Strike

BAGHDAD, Iraq (June 8) - Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, al-Qaida's leader in Iraq who led a bloody campaign of suicide bombings and kidnappings, has been killed in an air strike, U.S. and Iraqi officials said Thursday, adding his identity was confirmed by fingerprints and a first-hand look at his face. It was a major victory in the U.S.-led war in Iraq and the broader war on terror.

Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki said al-Zarqawi was killed along with seven aides Wednesday evening in a in a remote area 30 miles northeast of Baghdad, in the volatile province of Diyala, just east of the provincial capital of Baqouba, al-Maliki said.

Loud applause broke out as al-Maliki, flanked by U.S. Ambassador Zalmay Khalilzad and U.S. Gen. George Casey, the top U.S. commander in Iraq, told reporters at a news conference that "al-Zarqawi was eliminated."

The announcement came six days after the Jordanian-born terror leader issued an audiotape on the Internet, railing against Shiites in Iraq and saying militias are raping women and killing Sunnis and the community must fight back.

Al-Maliki said the air strike was the result of intelligence reports provided to Iraqi security forces by residents in the area, and U.S. forces acted on the information.

Baqouba has in recent weeks seen a spike in sectarian violence, including the discovery of 17 severed heads discovered in fruit boxes. It was also near the site of a sectarian atrocity last week when masked gunmen killed 21 Shiites, including a dozen students, after separating out a four Sunni Arabs.

"Those who disrupt the course of life, like al-Zarqawi, will have a tragic end," al-Maliki said. He also warned those who would follow the militant's lead that "whenever there is a new al-Zarqawi, we will kill him."

"This is a message for all those who embrace violence, killing and destruction to stop and to (retreat) before it's too late," he said. "It is an open battle with all those who incite sectarianism."

Khalilzad added "the death of Abu Musab al-Zarqawi is a huge success for Iraq and the international war on terror." He also gave a thumbs up and said it was a good day for America.

Casey said the hunt for al-Zarqawi began in the area two weeks ago, and al- Zarqawi's body was identified by fingerprints and facial recognition.

The Jordanian-born militant, who is believed to have personally beheaded at least two American hostages, became Iraq's most wanted militant, as notorious as Osama bin Laden, to whom he swore allegiance in 2004. The United States put a US$25 million (about euro20 million) bounty on al-Zarqawi, the same as bin Laden.

U.S. forces in Iraq said the killing was a major victory.

"We killed him, and it's always great when you can remove someone that has caused this much harm," said Maj. Frank Garcia, public affairs officer for the 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 101st Airborne Division. "We're one step closer to providing stability to the region."

Iraqis had mixed reactions.

Thamir Abdulhussein, a college student in Baghdad, said he hopes the killing of al- Zarqawi will promote reconciliation between Iraq's fractured ethnic and sectarian groups.

"If it's true al-Zarqawi was killed, that will be a big happiness for all the Iraqis," he said. "He was behind all the killings of Sunni and Shiites. Iraqis should now move toward reconciliation. They should stop the violence."

Amir Muhammed Ali, a 45-year-old stock broker in Baghdad, was skeptical that al-Zarqawi's death would end the unrelenting violence in the country, saying he was a foreigner but the Iraqi resistance to U.S.-led forces would likely continue.

"He didn't represent the resistance, some one will replace him and the operations will go on," he said.

In the past year, al-Zarqawi moved his campaign beyond Iraq's borders, claiming to have carried out a Nov. 9, 2005 triple suicide bombing against hotels in Amman that killed 60 people, as well as other attacks in Jordan and even a rocket attack from Lebanon into northern Israel.

U.S. forces and their allies came close to capturing al-Zarqawi several times since his campaign began in mid-2003.

His closest brush may have come in late 2004. Deputy Interior Ministry Maj. Gen. Hussein Kamal said Iraqi security forces caught al-Zarqawi near the insurgent stronghold of Fallujah but then released him because they didn't realize who he was.

In May 2005, Web statements by his group said al-Zarqawi had been wounded in fighting with Americans and was being treated in a hospital abroad - raising speculation over a successor among his lieutenants. But days later, a statement said al- Zarqawi was fine and had returned to Iraq. There was never any independent confirmation of the reports of his wounding.

U.S. forces believe they just missed capturing al-Zarqawi in a Feb. 20, 2005 raid in which troops closed in on his vehicle west of Baghdad near the Euphrates River. His driver and another associate were captured and al- Zarqawi's computer was seized along with pistols and ammunition.

U.S. troops twice launched massive invasions of Fallujah, the stronghold used by al-Qaida in Iraq fighters and other insurgents west of Baghdad. An April 2004 offensive left the city still in insurgent hands, but the October 2004 assault wrested it from them. However, al- Zarqawi - if he was in the city - escaped.

USA - 1

Insurgents - 0

about time....I think we all knew it was only a matter of when.....I heard oil dropped by $1.00 / barrel over this too....awesome news!

fuk'em....hope there's bleeding pigs and whores all around him....

eric

HELL YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:Cheers[1]::Score-101010[1]::Cheers[1]:

Stomped a mud hole in his ass! :buttrock:

That's that just a GREEEEEEEEAT fuckin way to start ones day.... :buttrock:

Just plain outstanding... :Score-101010[1]:

I hope that fuck suffered on his way out....

:Feet-Up[1]:

Just how do they know it was him , they dont have blood records, fingerprints ,mugshots dont work , all towel heads look the same! Hell it took them months to find Saddam ,

This was just another DN!

Besides , did we blow up a mosque getting to him ? If so we should indict the air force officers who dropped the bomb and try them and sentence them to life in prison , god knows they had to kill a few civillians (if there are any)! Isnt that how we operate over there , lets go after the bad guys but we will fight fair and fair mean if we have to demoralize our own troops by convicting Marines and soldiers because they killed "collateral damage" then so be it!

So they think they get 72 virgins when they die?

I hope he gets 72 homos, all hung like John Holmes, and horny as hell, and that al-Zarqawi is the best lookin' piece of ass they had ever seen.

YEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWW - ding dong the witch is dead ...

Just how do they know it was him , they dont have blood records, fingerprints ,mugshots dont work , all towel heads look the same! Hell it took them months to find Saddam ,

Hey Don - in case no one told you this is not the John White/ Dave Wright thread.

I hope that fuck suffered on his way out....

You know - I do too - but... poof and then no one cares is good too.

Besides , did we blow up a mosque getting to him ? If so we should indict the air force officers who dropped the bomb and try them and sentence them to life in prison , god knows they had to kill a few civillians (if there are any)! Isnt that how we operate over there , lets go after the bad guys but we will fight fair and fair mean if we have to demoralize our own troops by convicting Marines and soldiers because they killed "collateral damage" then so be it!

Don,

Yer just pissed cause the Airforce gets the kill. :P

We had absolutely no doubt whatsoever that Zarqawi was in the house," Caldwell said.

But it was a USMC Recon team that lasered -

The SOB's position...

Thanks, Danny

But it was a USMC Recon team that lasered -

The SOB's position...

Thanks, Danny

Well, as much as I would love to say "OOh-RAH" that's not correct. the F-16's have their own targeting pods (lightening pods) utilizing Laser/GPS bombs....no need for a ground spotter on these....they are VERY accurate. I can't verify if Force Recon was involved with the original intel gathering...it was "special ops" that found them...following his priest. The Ok was given by Lt. Gen. Gary North...USAF.

My Belching Squaw should be proud!

Actually, Yeti-Dog...They have fingerprints, and I.D of specifiv scars/markings on his body, but..they are doing DNA testing..results in a couple of days....stay motivated, Devil-Dog

Edited by kcchief

The LANTRN pods on the F-16 are pretty good...much better than the originals we took to DESERT STORM.....self lasing and with a LGB adapter on a 500lb bomb you can glide it right in on the mother fuckers...

Only thing would have been better is to have one of my buddies in the A-10 shwack his ass with a Maverick as he is trying to run out the back door.....

LtGen North was my Commander in Kunsan, Korea. He got the first air to air kill versus a MIG in Desert Storm...well actually after DS was over...against a Mig23 if I remember writing up his debrief correctly.

He is a hell of a Commander and pilot....one that walks the walk among the viper community...served under him twice and always listened to others and gathered facts before speaking...so I would be pretty sure they had good intel...and have already done a DNA or field fingerprint analysis and brought the body back before turning it over to officials for burial according to Islamic tradition.

Though my first luv is the Hog....the Lawndarts are pretty good air-mud for a fast mover...just dont ask them to do CAS and you are cool...LOL

Edited by Brock63

The LANTRN pods on the F-16 are pretty good...much better than the originals we took to DESERT STORM.....self lasing and with a LGB adapter on a 500lb bomb you can glide it right in on the mother fuckers...

Only thing would have been better is to have one of my buddies in the A-10 shwack his ass with a Maverick as he is trying to run out the back door.....

Would they have been able to ID the body after that? :rotfl:

no but with the feed from maverick seeker to the display and tape they could see his ass saying INSHALLAH before it made him into pink shwarma paste....LOL

“We received this news with great joy, but our greater joy will be the departure of the occupation forces from Iraq.”

—Sahib al-Amiri, a member of radical Shiite cleric Moqtada al-Sadr's group in the southern Iraqi city of Basra

Well--Here's another bitch I hope has a dream come true.

And I hope Basra is still cooking in the desert sunlight with no water plant or electricity.

I actually find this quite disheartening...

I haven't seen any dancing Americans holding up dead Zarqawi pictures in the streets, no burning effigies, nothing! I guess that is only for those stupid friggin' muslem shits. (or was that shiites?) :)

I quote a good friend of mine.........

"I'd like to eat a bacon sandwich and shit in that fuckers face in the morning."

Sounds good to me...

Good news is!!

He might not have been quite dead when the military found him.

I heard one report that Iraqi police were first on the scene, and had him loaded on a body cart--he saw the US military boys coming in and tried to get off the cart and get away.

Don't know if it's true or not but I'm hoping it is.

And I'm hoping the bastard suffered--a lot!!