Indian Motorcycle Community

Carolina custom cycles

Daves Place, Indian of Columbia SC was bought out by Carolina Custom Cycles...as were Indian of Pittsburgh and Indian of Wash DC.  In addition he has bought out others that carry BigDog, Vengance Choppers and Victory.  This shop is going to be one stop service.  I called them Friday to see if they were open on MLK day...cuz I needed to bring my bike.  They fella told me that they would be open and if I was gonna be there early they would open early to accept my bike...they wanted to get me in and out and make me a happy customer...their primary goal.  Dave, is their senior technician and the Indian guy....they have a shitload of bikes including everything the former Indian dealers still had on the floor...and a apparel inventory that may just rival Tammy at Indian of Chattanooga...two tractor trailers were being unloaded from the Pittsburgh store when I was there.

As for bikes...they have two large facilities...one is packed full and I could not get in there...but the service area had overflow bikes...a couple nice scouts...a couple spirits and quite a few chiefs including one black 2002 or 2003 Indian Chief...with a sidecar.  The sidecar even has the chrome Indian script just like the vintage as does the bikes tanks.  I asked if it was one of the Champion sidecars like MPLATE and he seemed to think it was something new Indian was gonna offer and a one of a kind for a vintage sidecar setup.  It was plain and sweeeeeeeeettttt!!!!!!

I am hoping when I go back they will be closer to opening...since my bike was one of 3 in the shop (just opened shop last week and still had electricians and contractors building inside setup)....and when I return I will take a camera and make a list of some of the items they have.  Now the story of my trip up on the 2.5 hour ride...

Took off at 7:00am and 51 degrees....got 70 miles up the road with wife following...doing about 75-80 on I-26 and I think I see smoke...nope not from Chief but wifes car behind me.  Then there is nothing...but I notice my tool bag is hanging by one strap so I pull over to fix her and wife stops with smoke billowing from under the hood.  Pop hood...no electrical smell....no oil smell....no anti-freeze smell...but it does smell a little.  Look under and see it on back of transmission (front wheel drive) and guess it is transmission fluid burning...check level and it is still full.  So I am wondering if the tranny has a vent hole and might have been over serviced and at high speeds the temp rose and caused it to go out vent hole and burn...but being less of car wrenchthan bike wrench...pretty fucking low for those of you that dont know my abilities..haha...we turn around. Closer to Charleston than Columbia and drop it at Acura dealer.  I head back to Columbia and wife will catch me in her mothers new Volvo...why not burn up two. LOL.  Well, I make the ride pushing 80....temp is feeling like it is dropping even though the sun is up and it is near 9:00am now....40 miles....60 miles....90 miles....100 miles...20 miles from Columbia and I am freezing my ass off....pushing it to the finish line like a long distance runner.  Turn and find out the short trip after the turn is another 15 miles at 45.....finally find the new place...pull in and Dave opens a service door so I go inside with the bike.  Feel my legs creaking and I stand up and start the blood flowing...and start telling him what I need and notice I am fucking shaking...hahahahahaa.  20 minutes later I am reading off my checklist of things I have been saving up and tell him...here is the fucking list...I am too damn cold...ask me if you dont understand something...hahaha.

Well, just as I was to get the grand tour the wife shows up..she was pushing 90 to make sure I did not have to wait on her...damn, got to love that woman....easy fellsa!  Load up my saddle bags...take off my windshield...and shake hands to leave.  Get halfway back to Charleston and realize I left my helmet, gloves, bacalava and goggles on his welder...hahahahaha.  Who cares?  They will be safe...all I could do is turn up the right side heat controls and push the ORGASM button called the :PASSENGER SEAT HEATER" and feel the heat creep into my frozen tundra ass...

I woke up at home and realized that the next two weeks will be the first time I have not rode her since her 5000 mile service July 03...I guess teh Jeep gets driven to work this week....unless the wife steal it.

What is the moral of this story.....

1.  Leather chaps are worth their weight in gold....but you gotta wear them to make them fucking work!!!!

2.  Chiefs luv speeds above 65 mph better than somebody else likes thinmints.

3.  Good women that understand our habits and bikes are harder to find than gold in an outhouse

4.  You dont know how much you miss your Indian until she is in the shop...even when you just froze your ass off for nearly4 hours at speeds upto 80mp....

5.  Check weather before leaving...51 at 0700 was today high....with it dropping gradually all day and will bottom out in couple hours at 24 degrees.

6.  Seeing new bikes, especially with sidecars or big tires make you want more and more and more....

Keep riding buddies...and I will see you at Daytona....I hope! :moped:

I am in Aiken SC, about 45 minutes from Columbia. Does this place have a web page per chance? I have never even seen an Indian dealer. I got mine shipped from a Dealer in TX. Sounds good to have someone withing range

:moped:

The new place barely has phones right now...Daves Place was downtown Columbia not far from the CRAZY HOUSE...across from Maurices BBQ....

This place is easy as hell to find...  Take I-26 West and exit West Columbia/Lexington (Hwy 378) Exit 110.  turn left on Sunset....follow in right lane until it turns into North Lake...follow until it turns into Columbia...follow in right lane and it will turn into W.Main Street.  When you see the big FORD Dealership on the left (Bob something)...the shop is 1/4 mile on the right. Small sign...one building in front of huge parking lot...another in rear.

They are 1500 W.Main St, Lexington SC....easy to find. :moped:

Brock...51 degrees and you froze...that's funny. I rarely put chaps on until it is in the low 40's....come see me in the spring, and I'll thicken that blodd of yours with some Ohio riding temps.... :laughlong:

Brock...51 degrees and you froze...that's funny. I rarely put chaps on until it is in the low 40's....come see me in the spring, and I'll thicken that blodd of yours with some Ohio riding temps.... :laughlong:

naw man, i was alright when starting in the low 50s...and rode for 60-90 minutes and then had to turn around with wifes car...while the temp dropped as the morning progressed.  Rode another hour back to rest stop...she continued and then I turned around again and started over...I ended up riding non-stop except for gas two times...for almost 5 hours.  Temp when I stopped in Columbia was around 39 on one sign and 40 on the other....  I ride every day in 28-34 degrees to work for an hour each way...but 4-5 hours was just too much time exposed to the wind at 80 mph and cold weather...plus it had rained the night before so everything was damp...

yep, i am a puss....but I was shaking like a dog shitting razor blades...hahahaha.  I will stay in South thank you very much...and watch you northern women melt on your bikes when it is 90 degrees and 80 percent humidity....hahahaha

Daves Place, Indian of Columbia SC was bought out by Carolina Custom Cycles...as were Indian of Pittsburgh and Indian of Wash DC.

Indian of Washington, DC?  What're you smokin'?  I don't know of any motorcycle dealers in DC.

Do you mean Indian of Montgomery County (MD)?  They're now called D.C. Cycles or somesuch.  I picked up their card at the bike show earlier this month.

I am just going by what the guy told me...he mentioned buying out the Indian dealer in Pitt and buying out the dealer in Wash...so I assumed it was DC not the state....either way he bought out 3 Indian dealerships...plus the others.

I have not smoked any of that shit since long long before I joined military...but not to say there are not residual side effects still from 25 years ago... :rasp:

Well maybe one day I'll make the ride down there to see this place... I'm in North Carolina semi-frequently.  What's a couple of hours of mind-numbing I-20 and stunted trees between friends?

:P

And I stay the hell away from the wacky weed if I want to keep my job...

Well maybe one day I'll make the ride down there to see this place... I'm in North Carolina semi-frequently.  What's a couple of hours of mind-numbing I-20 and stunted trees between friends?

:P

And I stay the hell away from the wacky weed if I want to keep my job...

yep, wacky weed and high level clearances are not taken lightly in my job....hahahaha :pirate1:

I think the store that they bought out was the Washington, PA store. I stopped by there last week and they were gone. I was in Pittsburgh on Monday and the Pittsburgh store is still there. They are closed on Sundays and Mondays so I couldn't go inside. They had a lot of BigDogs inside with a few Indians. The Pittsburgh store owned the one in Wash. PA. Sorry to see them go, there were some really good people there. The Pittsburgh dealer is 120 miles from me and is now the closest one.

Archived